Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:01 18 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Maximite and the EEVblog.

Page 2 of 3    
EEVblog

Posted: 06:25am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  
Just out of interest, what sort of speed are we talking about that the industry expects? How is it measured?
Is it simply the toggling of a single bit high and low?

How can we measure it on the maximite?

The industry doesn't "expect" anything.
What I'm saying is that some will surely ASK the question, because there a great many reasons why people would want to know that. Even back with the 70's BASIC computer, such a measurement was handy to know. It's no different now.

Yes, just measure the pin toggle capability in the tightest loop possible. I'm assuming that's:
10 TogglePin
20 GOTO 10
?

Dave.

EEVblog

Posted: 08:46am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said   Dave is right when he says that the Maximite does not compete with the Arduino. But that is OK as it was designed to be something else... a simple, packaged and easy to use computer. No compiler, no software installation, no host computer or downloading. Just turn it on and start playing around.

Part of the problem might be that Don sent one of his Maximite clones to Dave rather than the computer described in Silicon Chip (which 97% of people have). Don's clone is a naked PC board which is similar to the Arduino philosophy (rather than a properly packaged micro computer) and perhaps that is what led Dave into thinking that it should belong in the Arduino camp.
[/quote]

No, I immediately thought about it having Arduino shield capability as soon as I saw the article in SC.

But yes, I much prefer your nicely packaged version Geoff, I was impressed in the form factor when I saw it. I'm not that impressed with Don's one, I didn't really see the point (sorry Don!).

[quote]
If Arduino compatibility is used as the starting criteria the Maximite will always fail. But, the Maximite is more than the physical implementation, if Arduino compatibility is important I could easy to port the firmware to the Chipkit Max32 board. You would then have a Maximite with instant Arduino compatibility... but then it would be just another Arduino component and would be lost in the noise.
[/quote]

Not at all!
Let's see if I can explain what I'm getting at here:

I see the Maximite as a great little standalone computer, just as it was intended.
But that' all it is, it's not compatible with the countless Arduino shields and other boards on the market.
What if it had BOTH?

If you simply converted the firmware over to the ChipKit32 then of course it would just disappear into the Arduino noise, I agree. But that's because it's just lost what makes the Maximite special - the ability to connect to a keyboard and monitor and save/load to SD cards straight out of the box - a complete computer. Sure, you can add a shield with SD card and the connectors, but that's silly. You've wasted a shield, increased cost, made it more bulky, and less of an "experience" out of the box.

But the instant I saw the SC article I visioned an Arduino format board WITH those things that make the Maximite special. USB connector, VGA connector, RCA video connector, keyboard, and SD card to save/load programs.

Wow, imagine that, the world's first Arduino style board that actually did something useful and was complete computer the instant you switch it on out of the box!!

Ok, so has it now lost what makes it special? I can't see how. It's got all the same stuff, but just in form factor that makes it compatible with countless shields on the market. In fact it's EXACTLY THE SAME. It just uses the Arduino Shield pinouts instead of the 26way header - that's it, nothing more.

I can't possibly see how this could be anything but a huge step forward, without losing anything at all at makes the Maximite "special"

The benefit now is that people will notice it, because it's "Arduino Compatible". And it supports HUNDREDS of cheap and readily available shields. All that for what cost? changing the 26way header to 4 single way header in a layout that suits the shields.

[quote]
One of the intriguing things about the Maximite phenomenon is the number of people who want to change it into something else already on the market, be it a PC, an Arduino, an XBox, or whatever. But, as Gizmo said, it occupies its own niche and does a good job there.

The fact that people want to do that clearly shows they want something more out this thing, that's a good thing!

I don't want to turn it into an Arduino, that's just silly and pointless, but I would like to see it be compatible with the Arduino shields. I think that would make it MUCH more popular.

Don has mentioned you don't want to support different physical formats, and I can certainly understand that.
But the difference here are basically just pin differences right?
In that case would it not possible to simply have the pins defined in a boot file that people could change themselves?
That way if someone designs a new hardware form factor (design "fork"), all they have to do is change the pin definition file.

I think you should definitely continue to sell your nice version in a box, it looks great, and will suit many people very well. But I can't help but think that an Arduino format version that suits the shields can tap into a MASSIVE market you can't begin to imagine.

And I'll say it again, this is NOT turning it into an Arduino! It's simply using the bare board form factor that supports the existing shields, and that's it. I think it could make a revolutionary new class of Arduino style bare board computer.

Dave.Edited by EEVblog 2011-08-08

Nick

Guru

Posted: 09:00am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have to agree with the last e-mail.

Why don't we leave the Maximite what it was designed to be. Arduino or whatever else people want, should be a plug in option. That's why Geoff created the expansion connector.

Here's a cool idea that may complement the Maximite's form factor...

Using the same project case as the maximite, design a box that can be stacked on top and connected to the Maximite via the expansion plug at the back.

Call it 'The Maximite Expansion Unit'. A micro tower setup, computer plus I/O (Arduino) expansion!

Well, just a thought. (The box may not be tall enough anyway)

EEVblog

Posted: 09:15am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nick said  Using the same project case as the maximite, design a box that can be stacked on top and connected to the Maximite via the expansion plug at the back.

Call it 'The Maximite Expansion Unit'. A micro tower setup, computer plus I/O (Arduino) expansion!

That would miss out on the "wow" factor in the Arduino market.

I may very well be the only who see's this potential? In which case I may have to do it myself :->
That would make an interesting blog actually, converting the Maximite to an Arduino layout.
Can anyone see any issues with doing that in terms of pin compatibility or other software issues? (I haven't investigated it for feasibility yet, so if someone has done the hard yards that would be great!)

Dave.

Nick

Guru

Posted: 09:54am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'll admit to being a novice on this Arduino stuff.

Can someone explain to me what benefits I would get and how my life will become enriched with Arduino?

EEVblog

Posted: 10:04am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

EEVblog said  
  Nick said  Using the same project case as the maximite, design a box that can be stacked on top and connected to the Maximite via the expansion plug at the back.

That would miss out on the "wow" factor in the Arduino market.

I forgot to add that that would be a good solution for existing owners, or those who want the non bare board case style unit.
(BTW how do you edit existing posts? I was able to once, but now no more edit button?)

Dave.

James_From_Canb

Posted: 10:15am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can only edit the last post in a thread.
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles (1974)

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:29am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah you can only edit the last post if it was yours. Its to stop people going back and changing the facts after several posts have passed. Had a few incidents where arguments were edited after the fact.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:11am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

EEVblog said   I may very well be the only who see's this potential? In which case I may have to do it myself :->
That would make an interesting blog actually, converting the Maximite to an Arduino layout.

I can see the potential Dave, lots of it. I've steered away from the raw Pic chips and Arduino because their programming languages are too far out of my comfort zone. I've used BASIC all my life, on the TRS80, Vic20, Microbee(Ahh ), then on to GW-Basic, QBasic, VB4,5,6, Liberty, VB Script in Access and ASP/ASP.net. It's how I earn my living and I daily use VB Script. I can read and edit Java, but thats it. I've tried programming in Java, and looked into C, but as soon as I dabble with a new language I find I'm mixing in commands from VB, and worst, mixing Java into my VB work. I decided some time ago its better to be good at one language than crap at several, so I stick with the BASIC languages.

I've put together a few PicAxe based projects for the web site, because they are BASIC based microchips and it was easy for me to write the software, but stayed away from anything else.

Thats why I, and I know many others, are so enthusiastic about the Maximite, its "familiar".

As a platform for us old school BASIC programmers, the Maximite rocks, and if it can interface with the Arduino boards, wow!

GlennEdited by Gizmo 2011-08-08
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:25am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dave,

I saw it the same as you. I'm some how familiar with Arduino phenomenon as I did an 18F board in Arduino factory form.

As you said, the entire Maximite board can be built as an Arduino shield on top of a Chipkit Max32 board where it have all the Maximite peripherals.

The Arduino phenomenon is increasing very fast and many people started to benefit from the huge community created around it. It will draw a lot of attention to Maximite, but also to Chipkit Max32 board, where the Arduino people are starting to be disappointed because Arduino library is not yet ported (they asked also for a complex project and Maximite can be that).

That will be good (and specially for the Chipkit board), but I'm not worried about the Maximite success as it is already. Look at this page of Oshonsoft Basic (simulator) to see how many bought it. USA is on top with the biggest number of cities where Oshonsoft Basic was sold, then after few countries, it come Australia. Or at the customers list of PowerBasic - Basic is still used and preferred (my favorites are Pascal and C). It will need only a campain made with much care, to help people understand what is Maximite and what you can do with it (here needs help from the community).

I see Maximite's place in many areas: education, hobby, even small business as automated chicken farms (temperature control, water and grain feeding), coffee makers, etc... where you really don't need to call the experts anymore!!! It may be much successful than Arduino!

Vasi
Edited by vasi 2011-08-08
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

EEVblog

Posted: 11:51am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nick said   I'll admit to being a novice on this Arduino stuff.

Can someone explain to me what benefits I would get and how my life will become enriched with Arduino?

With the actual Arduino itself, it's all about the software environment that comes with it, the hardware is nothing special at all. Just like the Maximite hardware is nothing special.

And even the software side of the Arduino isn't really new, it's just C with some nice wrapper functions that take much of the "quirkiness" out of C. And being bootloader based you don't need a programmer.

Next is the open source nature of it, it's the shining example of how open source hardware can work and be expanded upon.

But none of that matters here, the big thing we are interested in is taping into is the sheer number of addon "shields" available for it. 252 boards at current count:
http://shieldlist.org/
That means there is a good chance that the chip you want, or the technology you want to experiment with is already available as a shield board, and usually example programs to go with it.

When it comes down to it, it was simply the right product at the right time to ride the huge emerging hacker/maker scene in the last 5 years or so.

If you want to get a prototype of some novel project up and running, odd's are it's going to be quicker and simpler with an Arduino than any other platform currently available.

But as always, YMMV. It's certainly not for everyone. Many people have absolutely no use at all for an Arduino.

Dave.

EEVblog

Posted: 11:55am 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi said  
As you said, the entire Maximite board can be built as an Arduino shield on top of a Chipkit Max32 board where it have all the Maximite peripherals.

But as mentioned, I think that is a rather poor ad-hoc solution.
It's better to add those connectors to a fully customised version of the Chipkit board.

Dave.

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

EEVblog said  
  vasi said  

But as mentioned, I think that is a rather poor ad-hoc solution.
It's better to add those connectors to a fully customised version of the Chipkit board.

Dave.

I think you're right and I am curious to see it done (as you said, you will do it?)

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dave, if you could build a 100 pin PIC32 version with all the current periferials as the current Maximite (with colour graphics) and I'll buy two!
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

donmck

Guru

Posted: 02:45pm 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nick said   I have to agree with the last e-mail.

Why don't we leave the Maximite what it was designed to be. Arduino or whatever else people want, should be a plug in option. That's why Geoff created the expansion connector.

Here's a cool idea that may complement the Maximite's form factor...

Using the same project case as the maximite, design a box that can be stacked on top and connected to the Maximite via the expansion plug at the back.

Well, just a thought. (The box may not be tall enough anyway)

I had done the hard yards on this one already by coming up with the Arduino converter board.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-donduino-cross.html

Cheers Don...

https://www.32v8.com/d

donmck

Guru

Posted: 02:54pm 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[code]
But yes, I much prefer your nicely packaged version Geoff, I was impressed in the
form factor when I saw it. I'm not that impressed with Don's one, I didn't really
see the point (sorry Don!).

[/code]

Not my design Dave, I simply ran with what was available at the time, to get it to market.

Altronics are about 3 months off the target from what I can see right now.
Unless there is some later news available that I am unaware of.

People were hacking other boards, or etching their own, which seemed like a crazy situation.

Stuart Smith was buying bare boards on line from the US, and found out that there
were design problems, and ended up getting mine so that he could have a running
unit. He eventually found the problem, and passed the fix on via this forum.

That is why you see mine in its current form.

Cheers Don...

Edited by donmck 2011-08-09
https://www.32v8.com/d

Keith @

Posted: 11:48pm 07 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Don

Your gear is good and whether it is in a box or a bare bones PCB with only USB and SD card then it'll do the job.

I for one will be buying more Maximites in whatever flavours that they come in as long as they are what I need to do the job. (horses for courses)

I will still have my original Altronics and it will always be my favourite!

Keep doing what you are doing ... I'll buy some when I need them.

Keith
The more we know, the more we know we don't know !

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 04:08am 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

EEVblog said  I think you should definitely continue to sell your nice version in a box, it looks great, and will suit many people very well. But I can't help but think that an Arduino format version that suits the shields can tap into a MASSIVE market you can't begin to imagine.

Thanks for the comment Dave. It seems that the discussion has resolved to "the Maximite should have Arduino compatible connectors (and perhaps form factor)" and I agree, it would be great.

So, this should be another consideration for the design of the Maximite Mk II. I am not sure what the associated requirements are (voltages, signal types, etc) for Arduino compatibility but surely they can be worked around. The only other issue is that I would not want to obsolete the expansion boards being currently used. Time for the thinking cap!

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:20am 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  The only other issue is that I would not want to obsolete the expansion boards being currently used.

I think you'll find they would get used anyway. There's going to be a lot of Maxmite Mark 1's out there. If people have a choice of buying a cheap expansion board for their Mark 1, or buying a brand new Mark 2, most of them will go for the cheaper option.

Glenn
JAQ

EEVblog

Posted: 04:30am 08 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  
  Geoffg said  The only other issue is that I would not want to obsolete the expansion boards being currently used.

I think you'll find they would get used anyway. There's going to be a lot of Maxmite Mark 1's out there. If people have a choice of buying a cheap expansion board for their Mark 1, or buying a brand new Mark 2, most of them will go for the cheaper option.

Glenn

I'd concur with that.
I don't see any problem with any "Mk2" version dropping the old connector.
I gather at least 500 existing units already sold, so that's a good base for any existing expansion board.

Of course, if there is room on the Arduino footprint, I can't see why you couldn't have both the current existing IDC connector and the Arduino shield connectors on the one board. Best of both worlds.
Provided of course the PIC chip has the required I/O to handle it all.

Dave.

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024