Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:19 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Why does not Maximate have the coloured e

Page 2 of 2    
JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:19pm 09 Feb 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Soldercore as hardware looks not as good as a Duinomite, but costs about 3 times as much. Maybe twice what the Duinomite eMega will cost?

It isn't as far as I can see inherently any faster (but see the next sentence).

The CoreBASIC sounds better than MMBasic.

It doesn't look compelling to me.

I don't see how it would be better for fifan than any Duinomite (whether eMega or not).

JohnEdited by JohnS 2012-02-11

paul_l_curtis

Posted: 02:41pm 07 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said   The Soldercore as hardware looks not as good as a Duinomite, but costs about 3 times as much. Maybe twice what the Duinomite eMega will cost?

Sure, it doesn't have the physical size of the Duinomite; but then it's not supposed to compete with a Duinomite; it is a decision to limit the size of it.

Quote  It isn't as far as I can see inherently any faster (but see the next sentence).

Core speed is 80MHz. However, the interpreter is much faster than StickOS or MMBasic or DM-BASIC. And it offers complex numbers, quaternions, flexible arrays, full string processing, matrix maths... Think you'll never need quaternions? Well, perhaps not, but they come in real useful for balancing robots, motion stabilization, and running quadcopters which you can't do with a Duinomite.

Quote   The CoreBASIC sounds better than MMBasic.

The philosophy of CoreBASIC is much different from MMBasic. DM-BASIC seems to have a philosophy of "I need something else, I'll add a keyword to do it". CoreBASIC doesn't do that; extensions are provided by installable drivers.

Quote   It doesn't look compelling to me.

Then don't buy it! But the built-in drivers for multiple LCDs, LED arrays, and so on, are all "just the same thing", a graphics display plane. But then, can DM-BASIC do 3D processing? Can it do 9DOF sensor fusion from arbitrary magnetometer, accelerometer, and gyroscope?

The value is not in the small set of keywords that CoreBASIC provides, but in the wealth of tested drivers for non-nonsense programming that CoreBASIC has.

I have a different philosophy for the development of SolderCore and CoreBASIC.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024