Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:11 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Raspberries...

Page 2 of 2    
Olimex

Posted: 05:51pm 23 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@robarino didnt work with frequency inputs but if you give me example which sometimes works and sometimes do not works I will try to reproduce and check the roots for it.

to be not completely SPAM just read THIS

running EMC compliance testing after production of 10K units is really innovative

probably the real thing behind is just another lame excuse for further delay with the production and shipping, last time I check the shippingtime extended to mid August.

meantime iMX233-OLinuXino was completely routed today and we run in Monday the blank PCB production for the first 10 prototypes for the developers
iMX233-OLinuXino

vasi

Guru

Posted: 05:59pm 23 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yahoo group photos are visible only to members of that group (Olinuxino).

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Olimex

Posted: 06:05pm 23 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sorry, didn't knew this

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:13pm 23 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Those little dots are vias?
Beyound Arduino Lang

ArtBecker

Posted: 06:53pm 23 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Olimex said  probably the real thing behind is just another lame excuse for further delay with the production and shipping, last time I check the shipping time extended to mid August.

Anyone who asks where exactly the 10,000 boards are, right now, is usually called a troll or whiner. But absolutely no truthful answers are ever given -- the situation is either merely explained away, or else the "troll" is told that the question has already been answered. Which, of course, it hasn't been, or else people would not keep asking. It is absurd to think that the organization has no idea where their 10,000 boards are. They knew for a long time that there was a problem with the incorrect RJ-45 jack having been installed, but just covered it up, until there was no choice but to finally come clean.

The email that RS Components just sent out is essentially meaningless gibberish. The organization itself says nothing meaningful about the current situation, but continues to repeat their $25 computer slogan, which is such an obvious lie as to be embarrassing to anyone with any self-respect. And the organization already had the product "launch" -- thus launching a product that still doesn't exist.

In spite of all that, I ordered a board, though Element 14, in the Philippines. If I ever get it, then OK, and if they eventually give me my money back, then that is OK, too. I was vaguely told that delivery might be some time in July. But, obviously, nobody has even the slightest idea. The way payment works here is that cash must be deposited into the company's bank account, and a copy of the deposit slip emailed to Element 14. No credit cards or PayPal are accepted. This is the same for RS Components, and every other local company I have dealt with. It really is a standard business practice in the Philippines. My fully paid order is marked "pending" on the web site, with no delivery estimate.

The funniest part is that Fedora Linux is the "official" distro of the RPi project, yet they are unable to actually make Fedora work! How can that possibly be? Ask that question and you will probably be called a troll. Arch Linux is another supported distro, but almost impossible to load on an SD card, which is what is needed to boot. Only the Debian distro appears to actually work. Will they get anything actually working by the time the first batch of boards are delivered? I sure don't have much confidence in that, given the results so far. Will there ever be a second or subsequent run? Well, maybe, if RS or Farnell/Element 14 take charge. We can't even get honest answers about the current situation, so asking about the future is a complete waste of time.

Olimex

Posted: 07:31pm 23 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

wow I didn't know they take cash in advance for pending orders due in several months good for them!
somebody said there are tens of thousands who placed such orders.
nice amount, company with working business can double the collected cash by putting it in the business for some months while they test the boards for EMC

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:24pm 23 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm very interested in both the Olinuxino and the Pi so it will be very interesting to see which I can actually have delivered first. I'm guessing the Olinuxino!

I decided not even to order the Pi until it's clear lots of people have received them and that the boards actually do what has been claimed.

John

jucole

Posted: 11:29am 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

I think a lot of people are really missing the point about these Raspberry Pi machines; they are purely teaching aids for kids to learn to program and perhaps turn on/off some leds etc. Btw if you already know how to program and build stuff and have ordered one then shame on you! ;-)

Back in the 70's 80's the home computer revolution created a generation of skilled programmers and the computer studies lesson at school was about computers in their raw form, hardware and programming. This was helped massively by an initiative run by the BBC to want to put a computer in every school; Acorn computers won the bid and all the schools in the UK had computers.

Today there is a serious lack of computer skills amongst school kids, hence the need for a new initiative to try and help the next generation of kids.

There are a lot of nice parallels between the Raspberry Pi and the old BBC Computer like for example ARM Holdings was actually born out of Acorn Computers makers of the old BBC computers etc.

It's just so easy to see the negative side of things all the time and complain but the fact is the Raspberry Pi is a good initiative and done for all the right reasons under a limited budget, so ask yourself when was the last time any major big computer firm with all their money and resources did anything good for the next generation of kids?

Regards

Jules

djuqa

Guru

Posted: 11:38am 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jucole said   Hi,
I think a lot of people are really missing the point about these Raspberry Pi machines; they are purely teaching aids for kids to learn to program and perhaps turn on/off some leds etc. [/quote]No I think you missed the point. Kids can't learn unless they actually have the Board in front of them.

Kids (and everyone else) could get a DuinoMite/Maximite/Arduino/{Insert 1 of Several Alternatives} NOW! so they can start learning NOW!.
As opposed to waiting for the "Maybe Coming/Could be here anyday/Hope so Soon/Pray and wait/Take Moeny and don't deliver" situation that is the RASPBERRY PIe in the sky project.

By the time the KIDS and their primary schools get their Flaky Pastry Boards they will have graduated University. Edited by djuqa 2012-04-04
VK4MU MicroController Units

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:55am 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Raspberry is sublime, but entirely missing... is not yet the season...
They opened it to the large audience, so, no signs with "No adults allowed".

[quote]Today there is a serious lack of computer skills amongst school kids[/quote] Rather, problems with writing correct, because they adopted the language of "yahoo messenger". Almost all have yahoo and facebook accounts and they don't have the required age yet. They will always "scream" for the last model of computer, as they can't play their favorite games on yesterdays computers. On schools is a huge traffic with DVD's full of games. Anyway, I thought that lack was about children of the third world.

Beyound Arduino Lang

jucole

Posted: 12:16pm 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi said   Raspberry is sublime, but entirely missing... is not yet the season...
They opened it to the large audience, so, no signs with "No adults allowed".

[quote]Today there is a serious lack of computer skills amongst school kids[/quote] Rather, problems with writing correct, because they adopted the language of "yahoo messenger". Almost all have yahoo and facebook accounts and they don't have the required age yet. They will always "scream" for the last model of computer, as they can't play their favorite games on yesterdays computers. On schools is a huge traffic with DVD's full of games. Anyway, I thought that lack was about children of the third world.

I am actually a real dyslexic, so thanks for that.

Edit: Vasi's native language isn't english, but he has the advantage of speaking more than one language. Edited by Gizmo 2012-04-04

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:18pm 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jucole said   Hi,

Today there is a serious lack of computer skills amongst school kids, hence the need for a new initiative to try and help the next generation of kids.

Yeah I'm concerned about this too, there is a whole generation with very little interest in how things work inside. I kicked it off with TRS80's at school, and part of my apprenticeship with Telecom ( Telstra these days ) was software programming in Microbee computers. I remember how popular the BBC micro was in the UK at the time, it was like the whole contry had a BBC computer at home and was using it daily.

But since the 90's there has been very little to grab a childs interest, to inspire them to write software, apart from the occasional geek ( bless them ).

This new interest in devices like the Maximite and the Rasberry ( once it gets past a few production and teething problems ) is encouraging. They are basic computers, not to fancy, and to do anything useful with them, the operator needs to learn how to program them. I think the future is bright, so long as we keep these devices simple. And they will inspire young programmers to take up devices like the Arduino, PicAxe, or head into PC language programming.

Vasi, dont get me started on facebook! It is the extreme opposite of professionalism in software development, but thats a post for another day.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Olimex

Posted: 12:56pm 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

if kids wanted to learn programming there are hundreds of alternatives to do so, some of them cheaper than RPi.
Djuda named few, there are Android tablets on ebay for $50-60 with 7" LCD which could be hacked to run Linux

every second kid have smartphone or tablet PC with RPi processor productivity inside, but I do not see them to do much programming, they just play angry birds or running fred.

it's not the hardware which will push kids to learn programming, they have the hardware even now

Arduino language simplicity is example how it can provoke people with no technical knowledge to do programing

it's the software which could make the programming fun, the C/C++,Java etc are hard for kid to start with

robarino

Posted: 02:07pm 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Imagine getting started with programming on a 70 dollar chipad! What a nightmare. I have actually worked as a teacher (and I am licensed to do so). I think you are all underestimating the kids today. There are a lot more tech saavy children than you can imagine. I also live in Sweden where children are taught to ask questions and learn on their own. It is not a perfect model but it is a place of innovation! There are a lot of sharp "grammers" here.

When I studied in the US I knew a lot of sharp guys who were much younger than I am and could seriously code (UMASS and BC). I had a hard time keeping up. There are a lot of smart guys who did not use the COCO II/TRS-80s and ended up changing the world.

The real point here is the nature of R-PI. I have never seen more unfriendly and undemocratic discourse than what goes on in their forums. R-PI is very much a dictatorship.

The upside is they are forcing the market to change and this is evident in the offerings of many companies. Competition is good.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:13pm 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I understand it only needs to be available for next school year (September).

The choice of something so physically SMALL seems odd.

Much as I like Linux it's another odd choice. Windows would have been worse but couldn't something smaller & simpler have been better maybe? If they're going to be controlling I/O pins, Linux or any biggish and non-realtime OS seems a weird place to be.

They appear to have deliberately faked that they would handle sales when they didn't have any sales & shipping department. Oh well.

I hope it succeeds in some reasonable fashion as school (*) IT is dire here. Truly, truly dire.

Did I say dire?

(*) as is government IT

JohnEdited by JohnS 2012-04-05

Olimex

Posted: 05:25pm 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

this project deserves applauses just if it succeed to teach kids to use linux!

Bulgarian government is about to spend $44 million for rent 48 000 Windows XP/Office XP
for the administration, while there is Ubuntu + OpenOffice free of charge which do the same, and this is done in a time of restrictive budged and cut money for education, health, etc.

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:16pm 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe HaikuOS would be better.
Haiku slideshow
Haiku on Raspberry Pi

Haiku boot screen:

Beyound Arduino Lang

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:37pm 03 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi - yes, maybe.

Olimex said   this project deserves applauses just if it succeed to teach kids to use linux!

Bulgarian government is about to spend $44 million for rent 48 000 Windows XP/Office XP
for the administration, while there is Ubuntu + OpenOffice free of charge which do the same, and this is done in a time of restrictive budged and cut money for education, health, etc.

Sounds just like here :(

JohnEdited by JohnS 2012-04-05

jebz

Posted: 09:01pm 07 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Back Shed mentioned on the Amp Hour when discussing the Raspberry Pies.

The Amp Hour

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024