Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:14 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : AXFX White Pointer 2.5

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:59pm 10 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A smaller version of my original AXFX is on the go. Dad made an AXFX for himself but was very dissapointed that no power would come out of it. Even just one coil on it own only produced 1.5v. So we have set out to show how the AXFX should be built.

The idea with this is to fit inside the covers of the White Pointer design. Steel disks are 8mm thick and 240mm diameter. While I machined the steel, I set Dad to task with roughing out some alloy disks for my wire winder. The coils needed to be much bigger than in the original AXFX. Then set him on winding the coils, with both tails coming out from the outside edge of the coil. Dad also did the fibreglass work with tips from my first one.

Edited by Trev 2012-08-12
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:48pm 13 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The magnets are fitted, they are the same magnets as used in my original AXFX, N50M, 50mm diameter x 12mm thick. Used some timber cut to the right size as spacers between the magnets. Painted with zinc rich and then epoxy enamel.

Then it was time to get the old White Pointer 2.5 F&P down. It is the first one ever built, back when the business was called Foundry and Fibreglass. It was a little dirty, had some fungus growing on it. So after stripping it, it was washed and polished. Love your work Marcy. Dad helped too. Some minor repairs also made. The leading edge of the blades were chipped. They were filled and sanded off. Some places on the blades and tail had seperated, only minor stuff, nothing serious. Dad did all the repairs, while I was off teaching. I love teaching, but sometimes I do miss the time in the shed.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 01:02am 14 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The first magnet plate had to have a spacer to hold it back from the bearing nut, on the F&P spline, and a spacer (pipe) over the rest of the spline so the nut on the thread could hold the magnet plate on tight.

Extra fibreglass was added around the outside of the stator for bolting it on. The stator then had to have a little ground of the outside edge to fit the covers on.

Needed a spanner not affected by the magnetic field, so made an aluminium one. The jacking bolts used for the 2nd magnet plate were cut at 220mm long, but could have been 150m long.

After assembly, tested one coil, 4vac at approx 60rpm. Approx 120rpm was 7.5-8vac. Then wired 2 coils in series which doubled the voltage. Wired all coils up, 3 phase, 2 coils in series, star. Rectified and tested, approx 190-200rpm at 50vdc, which should be something near the cut in rpm.

All finished off / assembled for some pictures.

Then dismantle for assembly on the pole and raising in the air. Marcy brings the parts as needed and passes them up. Then drives the loader for me. Driving is no big deal, she grew up on this farm. A light breeze blowing produced a couple of amps up to 5A. At 5A the original AXFX cut in and did a few amps. So the little beauty is a bit in front of the original one. It will be interesting to see how they compare in higher wind.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

mac46

Guru

Posted: 02:37pm 15 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trev, and Trev's father,

That has been quite the project...very well done, thanks for walking through it with all the pictures.
Mac46
I'm just a farmer

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:21pm 17 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah a nice looking machine Trev, keep us posted.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

wallablack

Posted: 07:29pm 29 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I really love it when a Father & Son can share an interest together.
This is a great project and I will be watching the progresses.
I have 3 girls 10, 9 & 8 and a son at 7 months. I hope too that they can share my interests too. Just got to get the little fella walking first.
Foolproof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024