Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:51 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Good places to get PCB’s made....

Page 3 of 4    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:10pm 15 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Brother are perfectly good as a printer in that respect.

Report seem to differ on Brother - some people say they have not had a problem using Brother toner, and others such as myself, report that it never worked from day one.

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

BobD

Guru

Posted: 06:12pm 15 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   some people say they have not had a problem using Brother toner, and others such as myself, report that it never worked from day one.

I wonder if it is just the difference between genuine and third party toner? Which do you use?

Gordz

Posted: 06:14pm 15 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The last Brother I used had a refill toner from China.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:25pm 15 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I always use genuine Brother brand toner replacements.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:56am 16 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Reading around about the genuine Brother toner it seems either to have "less plastic" in it or else the plastic in it needs a higher temperature to soften and fuse. Either way most people find it's a problem - bit of a pity because mine's a Brother printer and I want to have a go at toner transfer too.

One report I found said that non-genuine Brother toner works OK because it's composition is closer to that used by most of the other printers. Unfortunately they didn't say which "aftermarket" toner they used - you'd think though that if it softens at a lower temperature it might gum up the printer!

Rather than risk my current Brother printer (HL2070-N) (which has been a good unit) I think I'll look around for a cheap second hand HP, Fuji Xerox, Kyocera or something and give that a go. If anyone has tried an "aftermarket" toner in their Brother and has it doing the toner transfer thing well I'd like to hear about it.

Greg

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:36pm 16 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have two Brother lasers, one at my workshop, and one here at home. Both of them produced printouts that did not transfer using the toner-transfer method, and standard printer paper. PnP might be different, but I suspect not, simply as the PnP people themselves say that they have had reports of problems with Brother toner.

Brother is a very popular laser printer here in NZ - in my neck of the woods anyway - and finding a buddy without a Brother printer is actually tricky - they all seem to have Brother printers like I have! I'm not interested in buying another brand printer, just to try this out, but if I come across someone with a NON-Brother laser printer, I will get them to print a couple of pages for the purposes of experimentation.

jman

Guru

Posted: 06:48pm 16 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   If I come across someone with a NON-Brother laser printer, I will get them to print a couple of pages for the purposes of experimentation.

I am in NZ and can print these with my HP printer.
I have used my HP printer with a cheap TradeMe cartridge with great success.
Even used the Vodafone junk mail paper this also works a treat

John

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:37pm 16 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Useful information - thanks for posting.

Gordz

Posted: 07:51pm 16 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can get a Fuji Xerox P205W Mono Laser Printer from Office works for $30 so I will buy one Monday and try it out. My Epson is getting tired and a toner refill costs more than $30

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 08:38pm 16 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I saw a post somewhere that Brother toner does not
use polymer (plastic), which is needed for the resist

paceman
Guru

Posted: 12:54am 17 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jman said  
I have used my HP printer with a cheap TradeMe cartridge with great success.
John

I don't suppose there's any manufacturer ID on your HP TradeMe cartridge is there John? They might also do a Brother one that would work.
Greg

paceman
Guru

Posted: 01:00am 17 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordz said   I can get a Fuji Xerox P205W Mono Laser Printer from Office works for $30 so I will buy one Monday and try it out. My Epson is getting tired and a toner refill costs more than $30

Sounds like a good option Gordon as long as it has reasonable resolution. If it works OK I'll get one of those and use it for the toner transfer work and keep my fancier Brother one for normal network printing.

Gordz

Posted: 04:11pm 18 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK bit rushed for time this morning but got the Xerox P205 (1200 dpi) and did a quick test PCB using P 'n' P ( ragged etch when you rush ) and here is the result. Printer actualy cost $48 because the special is finished and I could not be bothered ordering one.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 05:39pm 18 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For a 'ragged" etch that looks pretty reasonable Gordon - those tracks look quite fine. The toner they use must be OK for our use too or you wouldn't have gotten that far with it. 1200 resolution isn't shabby either so I reckon it's a goer. Pity about the extra $18 but it's still really cheap - think I'll head out now and get one.

Thanks for getting it and doing the test for us all.
Greg

powerednut

Posted: 05:13pm 21 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been using Multix brand greaseproof paper bought at the local woolworths. Cheap (i think about $3-5 for the entire role) and I've been getting pretty good results with it. SOIC chips are about the smallest size that I go down to before running into trace thickness problems, but for anything that and up it works fine.

*edit* it was a 30 meter roll for $3.50. I use a modified laminator to transfer the toner from the greaseproof paper to the board.Edited by powerednut 2013-08-23

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:35pm 21 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

powerednut said  
I use a modified laminator to transfer the toner from the greaseproof paper to the board.

Hi powerednut,

Any information available on exactly what modifications you did to the laminator?

That sound interesting.

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

OA47

Guru

Posted: 09:46pm 21 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik, I used instructions to modify a laminator that can be found at ultrakeet.com.au

Hope this helps

powerednut

Posted: 12:23am 22 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yup, thats the place I got instructions from too.

I've also got some of the pulsar fx paper, which is very nice. I get slightly better results with press n peel, but I think thats because i'm using quite thick boards.

anyways, instructions for making boards with the laminator:
http://ultrakeet.com.au/write-ups/makepcbs (same process for greaseproof paper as it is for the pulsar fx or press n peel)

instructions for modifying the laminator:
http://ultrakeet.com.au/write-ups/superFuserV2

I got the laminator itself from officeworks. I bought the parts to make the changes from RS online. Laminator was $19.95 and the parts are about another $11 + postage.
Its a little expensive, but it works much better than an iron. It also has the added advantage that your wife doesn't yell at you if stuff gets stuck to it.

Some laminators don't need modifying. if it can do more than 160C or so stock, don't bother modifying it.

OA47

Guru

Posted: 12:08pm 23 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While we are on this subject, I would like to know what is the favourite method of cleaning the copper surface prior to the toner transfer?

powerednut

Posted: 12:15pm 23 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As a preliminary cleaner I coat the board in a layer of Detol "classic" anti-bacterial hand wash (the type you need to wash off afterwards, but comes in a handy pump pack), and then I leave the board to sit in that for about 10 minutes while I get everything else needed ready to go. Then rinse off under running water and pat dry with a paper towel.

This was discovered by accident, but it seems to do a fantastic job of de-oxidising the board and lifting off grubby fingerprints from myself or the sales droids at jaycar. Occasionally you'll get a stubborn patch, which then needs to be removed with other methods. Unfortunately I don't have a good other method, so in these cases I generally wind up with scratches all over the board surface.Edited by powerednut 2013-08-24

Page 3 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024