Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:14 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Beta Testers Wanted

Page 2 of 26    
MOBI
Guru

Posted: 12:08am 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Geoff

The eyesight is not the best these days - I guess I skipped a line or two and went straight to the list.

Looks like you have an "Active Camper" They are great. I made my own to fit a tray top Colorado. Did WA and FNQ in it last year.

PS - where was the gorge? Looks familiar.Edited by MOBI 2014-01-11
David M.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:35am 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, it is an Active Camper and the photo was taken at Kalgan Pool in the Pilbara. If you have seen the movie "Japanese Story", that was where he dived into the pool and broke his neck.
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

JohnL

Posted: 01:30am 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday guys,

Have been lurking for a while and hoping that Geoff would come up with the single chip MMBasic for embedded controlling applications.

Well done Geoff, ('')

This is exactly what many of us have been waiting for.

Geoff was kind enough to email me a beta testing firmware earlier today.

I had some PIC32MX150F128B-I/SP chips, and I can report that firmware installed without any problems using PICKIT 3 as per Geoffs instructions.

I have succesfully connected the chip to PC USB port via a cheap USB to RS232 (TTL) converter (similar to one that Geoff has listed in instructions).

Appears to be communicating OK with Tera Term and Putty terminals.

Inbuilt Editor appears to function OK. But as others have said, external editor (MMEdit) with download provision would be a great addition.

Will do more testing in due course.

Once again Thanks Very Much Geoff, keep up the great work.

Best Regards to Mick and hope you get well soon.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 04:39am 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,
as Grog's said, this has got to be a a major challenge to Picaxe - all of MMBasic's capability on a $3.60 PIC32 DIP chip with low power (battery) capability. As far as needing a PicKit 3 to set it up goes, I can't see that that should be a big problem - clone's are available on e-Bay for $30 and the loading procedure is pretty hassle free.

I have a PicKit 3 and would be happy to do some testing although my programming capability is pretty amateur. I guess it would be possible to set it up on the GPS Tracker 250 chip?

And Mick - as the others have said - good luck with your problem, I was wondering recently why we hadn't heard from you for a while. With a bit of luck the heart bit may not be a big issue but as someone who has had a couple of stents and four pacemaker/defibs in the past twelve years I can tell you it hasn't been that bad. I can't play squash anymore but function pretty normally otherwise.

Greg

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 05:54am 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

And here i was thinking that it was an old post asking for beta testers for the CMM version.

WOW, impressive production rate, puts to shame many software companies.
The small chip will open lots of new possibilities.
Don't have time to beta test unfortunately, currently very busy opening a makerspace and i have exactly 4 days to be ready.

Once that is done i am sure that members would jump on this, i will surely promote it, i will have a few MMBasic's on display.
Frankly MMBasic is the best place to start learning how to program microcontrollers, PIcaxe, Arduino and raspberry pi are completely blown away.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

jman

Guru

Posted: 01:17pm 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is FANTASTIC can hardly wait to try this out

Well done Geoff

Those of you with a PicKit2 will also be able to program these chips
Pic32Prog

Regards
John

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 01:50pm 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Presumably yet another version (er, sorry! I mean one day not right now) would work on boards like ones used for Pinguino project - Pinguino32 etc? Actually they make some DIY ones too incl an MX250 I think.

John

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:53pm 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not to speak ill of PICAXE, as I have used heaps of them over the years, and they really are a great product for what they do, but an MM version of the same kind of embedded controller concept is a really beaut idea from Geoff.

I was just suggesting that he did not have a Christmas, cos he spent all of the last month or two squeezing MMBasic into the chip for the Beta testing, if I may paraphrase his first post a little for a moment...

But the fact that the new MM chip will be 28-pin DIL, and have 40KB of memory for programs and data vs the 2KB/4KB of the PICAXE is really amazing, and a great selling point - tons of program space. Even the more juicy of the PICAXE chips(any of the X2 series and the big-momma - the 40-pin X2) have only 4KB of program memory. Well, they do have "Slots", allowing more then one program to be stored, and you can flip between them, so I suppose you could argue that the X2 parts have a total of 16KB of program space, but you cannot write a single code larger then any one slot, and that limits you to 4KB.

With the new MM beast Geoff has come up with, 40KB is standard - ten times the memory of the X2 PICAXE chips, and it can be all one code.

OK, OK - if you take the PICAXE slots into account, that's 16KB vs 40KB - still two and a half times as much memory as the X2's and only about quarter the price.

...to say nothing of the super fast speed of the MM beast. PICAXE is 8MHz standard for the X2's, although you can ramp them up in speed too if you need to.

Don't want to be too mean to the PICAXE chips - they have served me well.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:54pm 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,

Is there a possibility that there might be a version in a smaller 8pin (or 14,16pin) pic chip? I can see small building block 1 purpose `mechano' type possibilities..

i.e. This pic handles comms to a PC, This Pic will talk to an LCD, This Pic can drive a relay bank, this pic can read a keypad. etc etc.

I understand that some application probably will lend themselves more to C based code but sometimes an application might just need to do a simple task and if there is a small package .. all the better.

Not that it will always be practical for a big bunch of small pics but sometimes it can be useful.

Regards,

Mick

PS. Thanks for all the good wishes, I have had a bypass (3way) and a stent in the past and basing on past experiences this is not as bad and I suspect another stent will be in order, well I hope that is all... Thanks again.

Mik
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:14pm 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Answering some questions:
  paceman said  I guess it would be possible to set it up on the GPS Tracker 250 chip?

Yes, it will run on the same chip as used in the GPS Tracker project (although with only 17 I/O pins).

bigmik said  Is there a possibility that there might be a version in a smaller 8pin (or 14,16pin) pic chip?

Probably not. It was a huge squeeze getting it into the 28 pin 150/250 series of chips and the smaller chips just don't have the capacity.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:17pm 10 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice to see you on the forums, Mick.

I SUSPECT that the lightest version of the PIC32 is a 28-pin device.

I imagine that the idea of having a 32-bit processor on a package with a small number of pins is not practical.

My 2c only - I may be totally wrong, but Geoff would be able to say for sure.

EDIT: He did in the above post!

At the price of the 28-pin device, you could still do what you were talking about, but just with the 28-pin device for each of those tasks you mentioned - provided there was physical space for the IC, I guess.

EDIT: ...and with Microchip producing all their chips in just about any footprint you can think of, there is a SOIC version of this chip available, which is only 7.5mm wide by 17.9mm long - small enough to fit in just about anything(if the full-size DIL is too big), yet not so small as being hard to solder, as SOIC has pin spacing of 1.27mm, which is solderable by most people competent with a soldering iron. Edited by Grogster 2014-01-12

elproducts

Posted: 02:30am 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With micromite using serial to communicate, I'm thinking an Arduino shield would be great for this.

(Concept design)

Just plug it into your color maximite and one maximite can program another through serial connection.

(Replace demo-shield with programming shield)

All we would need is a terminal program to run on the main maximite.

Any reasons why this idea wouldn't work?
www.elproducts.com

James_From_Canb

Posted: 11:13am 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can see the advantage of mounting the micromite on a board so it could use Arduino shields.

Is the aim of the above to replace a PC with a colour maximite for communicating with the micromite?
If it is, what would be the advantage?
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles (1974)

elproducts

Posted: 11:59am 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

James_From_Canb said  Is the aim of the above to replace a PC with a colour maximite for communicating with the micromite?
If it is, what would be the advantage?

Yeah, Exactly.
What would be the disadvantage?
The PC just acts as a terminal where the Maximite could be used to directly develop your code using its vast amount of I/O and easily save and merge sections of proven code via SD card plus you'll have extra pins for potential real time debugging (such as LCD or displaying run time data on VGA screen) and then when the design is proven, easily move it to a small chip with the plug in programming shield. It's a similar approach to the way Geoff describes the Maximite Mini. And do it all without ever touching a PC.
It's a nice option to have in my mind.

Plus schools can teach programming with a low cost Maximite computer rather than a series of more expensive PCs. Each kid can probably have there own Maximite vs sharing a PC.
www.elproducts.com

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:32pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's certainly an option, if it is easy enough to do, and you have lots of chips you need to reprogram.

I remember a thing called a Smartloader that came with about 100 TV sets we installed in a floor of a hotel. You'd set the smartloader up with one TV, then use the smartloader to copy the settings to each of the other TV sets. Allows quick and easy setting of things like hotel-mode and such.

So there is certainly a time where that kind of thing is useful.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:15pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lads,

If its just for multi programming I think this might suit the job

Ebay Link

Whilst it doesnt actually have a 28pin socket I believe (Not 100% sure) that they can be programmed in the 40pin socket.

If you dont have a pickit3 the package can be bought fairly cheaply also.

See

Ebay link

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 05:03pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does it have the hardware uart like the Duinomite ?
I.E. serout @ 31250 baud for Midi ..........

Actually that would be nice on the ColorMaximite too ... :)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:13pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes. According to the manual Geoff sent me along with the Beta firmware.

[quote]COM1: is implemented using the onboard UART in the PIC32 while COM2: is implemented in software and therefore cannot run as fast. The maximum speed for both COM ports is limited by the CPU's speed as listed below (the CPU speed can be changed with the CPU SPEED command)[/quote]

The manual goes on to state that the maximum baud rate of the hardware UART is 230400 baud, and the maximum of the software COM port is 19200 baud. Both of these speeds assume you are running the device at 40MHz.Edited by Grogster 2014-01-13

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 06:55pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nifty !

2 channels TONE and PWM ? (like ColorMaximite)Edited by hitsware 2014-01-13

BobD

Guru

Posted: 07:16pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  
Whilst it doesnt actually have a 28pin socket I believe (Not 100% sure) that they can be programmed in the 40pin socket.

Mick
The 40 pin sockets look to be 0.6 inches wide. The 28 pin PDIP version of the PIC32MX150/250 is 1.4 x 0.3 inches. It's narrow.

Page 2 of 26    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024