Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:54 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : EV 4

Page 2 of 2    
Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:44am 22 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dwyer,
Where is this guy??
Where did you get this info from?

Trev @ drivebynature.com

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 02:36am 23 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Trev
see http://www.autospeed.com. under " Section: Feature Cars" on 21/04/08
dwyer

sPuDd

Posted: 12:11pm 23 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats a worry, about the ThunderSky's being lower than claimed output current. The setup I'm working on will be 415VDC and only about 50-100amp peaks which should be much lower than the maximum claimed by the ThunderSky's. It does have me reconsidering though. I wonder if he just has a poor cabling setup.

Trev, have you noticed any similar high internal impedance problems with your LiOn's?

sPuDd..
It should work ...in theory

Lithbattboss

Posted: 05:12am 30 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many people have had bad experiences with ThunderSky which is something they don't want you to know about. Their LiFePO4 cells are rated at a very low C discharge rate so they will not provide very good performance in an EV application. If you require high discharge rate performance of over 10C as well as at least a 3 year, 1500 cycle life warranty the best option is to go with a battery manufacturer whose cells use cathode material in their construction that is manufactured by Phostech Canada since Phostech are the originators of this lithium battery technolgy and owner of the patent rights. All the Chinese companies who manufacture cheaper cells (such as ThunderSky) are just poor copies and they have not been able to replicate the quality of the Phostech product due to sub grade cathode material used to manufacture their cells.
Some actual experiences of people who have bought the ThunderSky product are here-
http://www.casadelgato.com/ThunderSky/
and more information from an owner of an electric Toyota Echo in Brisbane here-
http://www.electric-echo.com/blog/

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:52am 01 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks guys for the info of problems with Thundersky cells.

I already knew of Shaun Williams electric echo blog. Shaun has not experienced these cells.

I have emailed the others that have had problems, they used the earlier cells like LCP. From my research problems did occur, especially if the BMS was not top quality.

It must be pointed out also that there are many users of LCP that have good performance.

I have not heard of any problems with LFP cells. If anyone has, please let me know.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

b-train

Posted: 12:13pm 10 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hey well done on the EV conversion. im doin a engineering assignment on transport, and i have to design an elctric minibus, im having trouble decideing on the batteries to use, cld you please provide me with the details of the speed controller and batteries you used and any other hints you may have, thank you Edited by b-train 2008-05-11

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:17am 17 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

B-train,

Thundersky make several busses, up to 43 seat.

Details from the brochure on their minibus.
10 seat.
Motor AC 45kw - peak at 90kw.
Speed up to 100km/hr.
Range up to 280km
Batteries 90 cells x 400ah
Net weight 4700kg
Loaded weight 5800kg
Regenerative breaking

Email me direct for more information regarding you assignment.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

ReVolt

Posted: 12:08pm 03 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Trev,

Have had to register as a user just to let you know how impressed I was at your achievements. Excellent work and a very through blog with decent sized pics. Yours is one of the best I've seen along with Gav in NZ ( www.kiwiev.com ) who made heaps of videos along the way.
Nice to see you have air conditioning and power steering etc, and have started out with a real car and not something the size of a dishwasher. Yours has credibility - unlike some of those tiny buzz-boxes out there that some guys convert to electric and wonder why they can get no respect for their efforts.
Oh No. I think I'm coming down with EV fEVer. This could be expensive. How do I break the news to my family?
Cheers
Sir ReVolt

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:12am 04 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya Trev,
Eh mate are those lithium batteries suitable for RE ? My 600 ah sonnenschiens are starting show some wear after 5 years of continious service and I'm thinking if those batteries are suitable I'd be interested in some pricing on a new battery array for my 24 volt system. As I noted the voltage spec's @ 3.4 volts per cell then 8 of them in series would be good for a 24 volt RE array but I'd be interested in 16 of them in a series/parrallel array.

Cheers Bryan

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:35pm 04 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan, You could ask the guy who wrote this article:
http://www.boatweb.com.au/2008/04/24/lithium-iron-phosphate- lifepo4-batteries-for-marine-applications/#more-86

He was very patiently answering all my questions about lithium batteries.
Tinker
Klaus

Trev

Guru

Posted: 09:42am 14 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan1,
Yes these batteries can be used for RE. However, they do need to have the cells balanced and some way of controling the voltage limits.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Rob-D

Posted: 04:06am 07 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day trev
Great posts, and a top project..!!
What made you decide to go DC, as opposed to the more efficient Ac motors & controllers..??
Was it just a cost based decision..??

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:14pm 07 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rob-D
Partly because of cost, but also I drive a lot of highway and re-gen was not a priorty. DC is so simple too. The secret to success, KISS, Keep It Simple Stu...

AC motors and controllers are bigger and heavier than the DC gear. This requires more energy to push that weight.

Sometime ago I read an article where there was a range and efficiency test and the DC vehicles were not that far behind the AC vehicles. In fact there were some AC vehicles in the same test behind the DC vehicles.

Don't get me wrong here, AC drives do have their place.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:57pm 20 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Trev

Have you done a cost per 100klm including the cost of the Lipo batteries and associated equipment needed to keep it all working as this would give a fair comparison with other fuels.
And how is the battery cycle life working out, did you get the 1500 cycles or more or less.
All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:58am 21 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob,
I have answers to your question in EV5, keep reading.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:36pm 21 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Trev

I look forward to your future postings.
Also I would like to commend you on the quality and detail of your work top stuff.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024