Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:56 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Plug-pack design from China...

Page 3 of 4    
Phil23
Guru

Posted: 11:27am 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Paul_L said  What voltage range is normally used on the primary side of the last step down transformer in residential areas?

To answer this one, our residential area was 11kV until the upgraded the trannys last year.

Now on 22kV.
66kV is also fed within the town for commercial areas & the 22kV distribution.

Phil.

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 11:57am 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oops, kinda have strayed away from the chinese made plugpacks (or walwarts depending on who you are talking to in the thread)

Phil23, have they any plans to do this in rural areas? afaik Qld rural still uses 11kv for many parts, they would have to replace heaps of those `single farm' pole transformers out there to do anything with it

Not that I had anything to do with that side, I was on the LV side of the great divide LOL and on the poor mans side of it to boot, being only an elec fitter

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:39pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't mind the thread straying to three-phase power distribution methods.

It's all interesting to me.

Are the GPO's in American houses still 115v or have they started to supply 240v too now? A previous post was made by a member suggesting that most domestic houses have 240v supply now anyway....

Perhaps 115v for the GPO's, but a 240v circuit(or circuits) for the more thirsty appliances?

I know essentially nothing about the American power distribution, other then the fact that BLACK is phase, and white is neutral. In the old AUS/NZ standard, BLACK was neutral. Confusing, isn't it?!(rhetorical!)
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 03:20pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ grogster .. You think the thread has stayed up until now! Wait.

You said you had a pole replacement recently. I object to all these drunks driving their cars into poles! They keep running down my relatives. Let them pick on some other nationality for a change.

The low power appliances ( < 2400 W) in the states are all 120v, and, of course, 60 Hz. They use that funny plug with the two flat parallel blades plus a U shaped ground. The white neutral wire goes to the white screw on the socket, the black hot wire to the brass screw on the socket, and the green ground wire to the U contact. The green wire will only carry current when something shorts. The modern GPF (Ground Protection Fault) outlets shut the hot contact down when current is sensed in the ground wire. Curved blade twist-lock equivalents are also available.

The higher power single phase appliances ( < 14,400 W ) like clothes dryers, kitchen stoves and big room air conditioners currently use various blade combinations with at least 4 conductors, (black-0 degree hot, white-neutral, red-180 degree hot, green-ground), and carry up to 60 A.

This shows the NEMA standard for receptacles (GPOs) and drawings of some of the smaller ones.

http://wiki.robotz.com/index.php/Electrical_Outlet_Types_of_North_America

Three phase equipment is seldom equipped with plugs, It is usually hard wired, however plugs are available for 250v, 480v, and 600v for either four wire - three pole (delta transformer secondary) or five wire - three pole (Y or star transformer secondary). The delta pattern secondary wiring predominates in most of the country.

The Y pattern secondary wiring does not produce a center tapped pole to neutral voltage, it produces a composite of two phases 120 degrees apart. That produces the weird 120/208, 277/480, and 347/600 voltages. The Y pattern is used in some of the older cities, New York City among them, which were wired early in the 20th century.

That's enough about poles. I just wish those drunk drivers would stop running over my relatives.

Pavel Artur Jan Waclaw Lepkowski in NY
Edited by Paul_L 2017-05-04

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 04:35pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yeah black for active and white for neutral?
Oz had (depending on single or 3 phase)
old single -red active, black neutral, green earth
new single cord brown active, blue neutral, green/yellow trace earth
old 3 phase way was USA!
ie red,white and blue for actives 1,2,3, black neutral, green earth

(the `new' brown,blue,green/yellow was just being introduced when I was an apprentice, we had a saying to remember the colours`red black green is brown, blue green/yellow- and if you make a mistake you'll be `black and blue' ie neutral was blue or black

We also learned another saying to remember the resister colour code which was VERY politically incorrect and I wont repeat here in public, but to this day I have no trouble remembering the resister colour markings lol

(Another wiring colour usage that could have been disastrous, as an apprentice we had some imported french machinery- before we pulled their cables and fitted Ozzy cables- they used (from memory) white active, black neutral and a RED earth (red stood for danger was the apparent reason we were told by the importer at the time)
As you can imagine, these leads were very quickly `snipped' off with the sidecutters for obvious reasons (as the then current wiring was red active, black neutral and green earth....)

Wire the red wire to the active and ouch....

BobD

Guru

Posted: 04:47pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote=Boppa]We also learned another saying to remember the resister colour code which was VERY politically incorrect and I wont repeat here in public, but to this day I have no trouble remembering the resister colour markings lol
[/quote]

Did you mean this one?
Bad Booze Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 04:53pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nope not that one (look at your pm)

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 06:01pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmmpff, you guys are going to ignore my Polack jokes.

BobD

Guru

Posted: 07:07pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Was there a joke there? Must be cultural differences and we didn't understand it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Was it something about warm beer?

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 09:13pm 02 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warm beer ...... Ewwwwwwuuuu! Could it be that you guys are as dense as poles ... or maybe even Polaks?

Paul in NY

BobD

Guru

Posted: 01:43am 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Paul_L said   Warm beer ...... Ewwwwwwuuuu! Could it be that you guys are as dense as poles ... or maybe even Polaks?

Paul in NY

We love it when you talk dirty.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:44am 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LOL!

You guys......

Here in NZ, we use the American colours for three phase too - Red, White and Blue.
I seem to recall there is also a Yellow in there somewhere - three phase colour-codes are not really my thing, as I only ever deal with single-phase domestic 230v supply, not three-phase commercial 415v stuff.

I know for a fact that they definetly use Red and Blue phases in 3-phase setups here, but can't remember if the third phase is White or Yellow - or either/or depending on cable colours.

I always thought that having the three phases 120 degrees apart was a particularly sexy idea, as then you only need one small neutral return for all three phases worth of current - pretty crafty when you think about it.

I also can't remember how those phases are laid out. I expect that Red is the 1st phase, and PROBABLY would expect Blue to be the 2nd phase, with White(or Yellow!) as the third phase to make up our 360 degrees.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, phases, phases, frequency, amps, volts, volts, sleepy time now.......

BobD

Guru

Posted: 02:54am 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs
This page may help.
Bob

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 03:59am 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LOL Grogster the page BobD linked to is handy but the way to remember 3 phase is just think of America, the good old red, white and blue...

thats your 3 phases, red is 1, white is 2 and blue is 3
(edit to add) you will sometimes find the white and blue reversed (should only be done at the motor, NOT the plug) when you want to reverse the rotation direction of a 3 phase motor most are expected to run cw when red,white,blue, if you need to run ccw, connect as red blue white on a1 a2 a3

I think the oldest 3 phase standard was red yellow and blue for the 3 actives, but these days green and yellow are reserved for earth only

Our wiring colours are a mess depending on age and phases, blue can be an active or an neutral, yellow can be active or earth- add in other countries and its pretty much grab the meter and bell it outEdited by Boppa 2017-05-04

SteveA

Posted: 04:53am 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the UK there are two possible 3 phase colour schemes, the old (proper!) one and the new harmonised with Europe version. They are as follows:

Conductor Old New EU
L1 Red Brown
L2 Yellow Black
L3 Blue Grey
N Black Blue
E Green Green/Yellow

All new installations must use the EU version.

As a side note, Europe uses 400V 3 phase (230V single), which we were supposed to adopt. However, in reality we still use 415V (240V single), we just call it 230V/400V nominal! Most equipment doesn't care, but occasionally it can cause odd overheating problems!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:03am 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Useful information, thanks.

So it WAS Red, White and Blue - not Yellow. Although, if Yellow was a phase at some point in the past, that must have been where I read or otherwise heard about the "Yellow phase".

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 11:51am 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BobD said   [quote=Boppa]We also learned another saying to remember the resister colour code which was VERY politically incorrect and I wont repeat here in public, but to this day I have no trouble remembering the resister colour markings lol
[/quote]

Did you mean this one?
Bad Booze Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well

That's about as close as "Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep...."

BobD

Guru

Posted: 11:59am 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phil
It is a public forum. I can't talk about Violet and others.
Bob

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:56pm 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   Useful information, thanks.

So it WAS Red, White and Blue - not Yellow. Although, if Yellow was a phase at some point in the past, that must have been where I read or otherwise heard about the "Yellow phase".

Many moons ago when I worked in EHV switchyards, one task when doing maintenance was to repaint the phases in their respective colours. Red Yellow and Blue.

When I last left there, about 20 years ago, White was starting to take over from Yellow. A lot of the newer protection and monitoring equipment was Red, White, Blue so we had to be able to think in both standards.
There was also A,B C occasionally.

It didn't really matter much which schemes different countries came up with for fixed equipment. The big push for international standardization was for portable equipment which could cross borders. They had trouble finding a colour that hadn't been used for ground so it could be used for active.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

GoodToGo!

Posted: 01:29pm 03 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting conversation. Gotta say though, 110vac, 115vac, 230vac, 235vac, 50hz, 60hz, 400hz, variable freq, it all hurts if you are on the wrong side of it!
I don't get to play with HV. Probably a good thing now I think of it.
One that scares me that I have to deal with is +/-270VDC. (540VDC rail to rail) It's unforgiving. And the stuff that runs off it is liquid cooled....

GTG!
...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

Page 3 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024