Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:04 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMedit web site

Page 2 of 3    
CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 11:24pm 07 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

do they charge? (it makes sense) but from their forum link I posted it earlier in this, it looks like people just posted their web pages and Norton "re-evaluated"... dunno how old the info is tho.

But you rant is well taken... conflicts of interest don't pay for themselves

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 12:19am 08 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This might be of help
how-report-malware-or-false-positives-multiple-antivirus-vendors

7 YEARS of developers complaining about it....
(and quite a few suggesting a class action as being the only way forward at this point....)
http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/05/17/antivirus-companies-cause-a-big-headache-to-small-developers/

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 03:21am 08 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  contact Silicon Chip and get them to put something (an Editorial?) in the next edition

I doubt if software multinationals (or Net types in general) give a rats about SC, it has been increasingly irrelevant. There may have been a shakeup, I see Nick Vinen is now listed as Editor, hopefully the Rhodes Scholarship does not mean a continued anti-alternative brainwash.
ed- [Of course Rhodes didn't make any money from mining, did he ?!!]Edited by chronic 2017-09-09

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:13pm 08 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Firstly, thanks for the encouraging remarks. I value your support much more than Norton's

I registered with their site and requested a re-evaluation.
I received a reply saying my site has been re-evaluated but when I check, their site lists me as not evaluated. It will take 2 weeks to get evaluated.

So their internal system is as useless as their analysis software.

I have 18 months left on my domain rego so there is no rush with that. I will give it 2 weeks to see what happens then put a page up with my opinion of Norton's clearly stated on the page.

No amount of bitching to the press will help.
People spend good money on their protection software and should trust it more than an unknown individual. Having websites and software flagged as malicious only helps the user feel that their money has been well spent.

If I want to make my programs less likely to get canned, I have to pay good money to get a certificate. Self certifying doesn't work. Norton's own the certifying authority.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

GoodToGo!

Posted: 02:53pm 08 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Jim,

Out of interest, I'm using Norton Internet Security (Don't ask ) and I'm having no issues accessing your website.

So either the issue is sorted, or is it differing Norton products causing the issues?

Cheers,

GTG!

...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:51pm 08 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GTG - It's your computer and you can do what you like, but I 'Strongly encourage' you to get rid of the master of bloatware, false-positives and automated customer support that gives you no customer support....

You'd probably also notice that your machine will run faster in general, without Norton's aggressive scanning gobbling up 90% of your system resources in the background.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Alastair

Posted: 03:58pm 08 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I recently had a malaware problem and it was picked up by Microsoft Windows technical dept as apparently my computer (Win10) was sending an error message to them but not to me!. I thought I had turned all that off but apparently there is a base level you can't disable.

They recommended that I use Norton AV and IS. I am using McAfee and now Malawarebytes which has sorted the issue. I questioned the use of Norton vs McAfee and they repeated their recommendation and offered to provide Norton at a very reduced price.

Cheers, Alastair

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 03:19am 10 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Alastair said   I recently had a malaware problem and it was picked up by Microsoft Windows technical dept as apparently my computer (Win10) was sending an error message to them but not to me!. I thought I had turned all that off but apparently there is a base level you can't disable.

They recommended that I use Norton AV and IS. I am using McAfee and now Malawarebytes which has sorted the issue. I questioned the use of Norton vs McAfee and they repeated their recommendation and offered to provide Norton at a very reduced price.

Um are you sure it was windows tech support????

Microsoft's data indicates that three million users each month are exposed to tech-support scams, with most of those affected coming from wealthier nations including the US, UK, Canada, Australia, France, and Spain.Finally, it's worth noting that Microsoft doesn't proactively reach out to users to offer unsolicited tech support. However, users can contact Microsoft via its real support page.

I suspect that you actually `bought' their copy of `nortons' you would probably now actually have a malware infected machine which it probably wasnt before....Edited by Boppa 2017-09-11

Alastair

Posted: 10:56am 10 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Boppa,
I was as suspicious as hell and did not buy anything from them. I contacted Microsoft direct via the web page and got advice that way. In the end I purchased Malawarebytes from the supplier and now run that in parallel with my McAfee. All seems good.

Even if it was an attempted scam it alerted me to the fact I had a problem. I knew something was wrong because I was seeing lots of disk and network activity when it shouldn't. The AV s/w did not find anything. Malawarebytes sure did.

cheers

Cheers, Alastair

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:25am 10 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster wrote,
  Quote  GTG - It's your computer and you can do what you like

I recently tried to put the software for my digital camera on my Win 10 machine only to be greeted with a message stating an Administrator was blocking the App. I am the Administrator. After searching the web I found that this is a common problem and the only way around it was to load it from a Command Prompt. I was able to do it but most people would probably have no idea and have to pay to get someone to do it for them.

Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:01pm 10 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't like W10 - it has many issues such as that, which irritate me greatly. Probably the one that 'Annoys' me the most, is the forced automatic updates, when you go to reboot your machine cos you have done something or installed something requiring a reboot - W10 then insists on installing a plethora of updates. One time I did this, W10 insisted on updating from an old W10 to a new W10, and that put about 2 hours worth of delay into my finishing what I wanted to do, and you cannot stop it or otherwise delay those updates - pain in the arse.

I still use W8.1 Pro 64-bit, and like it MUCH better then W10's insistence policy on certain things. Given the choice, I won't install or use W10 just yet - still too many things I don't like about it, and continue to install W8.1 Pro. At least it is configurable whereas many aspects of W10 are not, and even those that ARE configurable, you have to fight the OS to do it your way instead of Microsoft's way.

....but I digress.Edited by Grogster 2017-09-12
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:31pm 10 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster,
To tame W10 updates a little bit:
In the updates page, change active hours to something realistic for you. (I realise you never sleep but you can shift the auto updates to something better)

Under restart options, you can set a time such as 3am and turn on more notifications to warn you when a reboot is about to happen.

I regularity do a manual check for updates at a relatively convenient time to prevent/limit the surprise updates.

Once I know there is a biggy, I go around the other PCs here to do a planned update.
That way the Boss doesn't complain when she goes shopping while an update is in progress.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 07:36pm 10 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I still got one windows machine (XP SP3) thats mostly for the games on it

All the others (2 towers, 2 laptops and now even my tablet) are running ubuntu or cnclinux. I had one w10 machine (was w7) but when it wiped out over $100 from my bank account downloading updates through my 4g dongle, and it simply couldnt be stopped.

It had to go and was deleted and replaced with ubuntu 16.04lts- runs so much better, everything I own that plugs in just works (unlike the w10 install that simply ignored my older camera and printer/scanner- as for my scanner and 2 way software, it simply didnt work full stop- yet it all worked fine in ubuntu

Even the tait software (which is actually DOS based) works fine through wine with no issues at all

So apart from the XP machine for games, now windows free

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 08:37pm 10 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You arent the only one having issues, I just tried to contact Trev to order some batterys, and ordering directly from his website got a mailer failure message!
Luckily going direct from my yahoo to his gmail accounts seems (so far- fingers x'd) to have worked, so hopefully it got through doing it that way!

(and I sent a copy of the mailer failure message to him as well) so hopefully he can get it fixed- nothing worse than a business email that gets bounced!)

GoodToGo!

Posted: 01:03am 11 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've generally found that Windows has always alternated from sucked to great to sucked etc....

Eg.

Win 95. Crap.
Win 98. Good.
Win ME. Crap.
Win XP. Good.
Win Vista. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap.
Win 7. Good, actually Great in my experience.
Win 8. Crap.
Win 10. Good.

Of course this is just my personal experience with Windows. Indeed I happily upgraded both my desktop and laptop from Win 7 to Win 10 and have had no issues at all. No hiccups, no BSOD's, no problems at all..... (Maybe it's a first??)

My favorite version would have to be Win 7, followed by Win XP. However I'm comfortable with Win 10, especially as it plays well on my combo laptop/tablet job with pen. (Dell latitude XT3 running Win 10pro 64-bit) Works well even considering it's 4 years old, especially when tinkering with Micromites.

As far as AV software goes, I used to use VET Anti-virus before it was swallowed by CA. Gave them the arse after a year or so after that, as it also became bloatware. Norton is now just as bad, however Internet Security is not as bad as 360. I couple it with Malwarebytes Premium. Seems ok. I'm sure there are better solutions out there, (suggestions?) but for now the kids are happy, the better half is happy, which means I'm happy......

......and I can still access TassyJim's website alright!

Cheers,

GTG!

...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 01:46am 11 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GTG
A lot have people have noticed that good bad good bad cycle with windows....

I have to put XPSP3 as the best o/s, win7 could get there if allowed to mature and get all the bugs out (why the public not only has to pay for a copy of windows but also be their beta testers I'll never know grrr), 98SE was the best of the old kernal ones- 2000NT was a fantastically stable one, but not user friendy

I dont know how many of you remember this one- I was positive Weird Al Yankolvich (sp??) sang it, but utube thinks otherwise

Windows 95 Sucks

philsmithstrong

Posted: 01:04pm 29 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe opt for some other software then. Heres a good comparison of Norton vs Avast.

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 02:11pm 29 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  some of my programs are now being rejected by anti-virus software, which is proving to be quite a pain. in one case as soon as i compiled the source code and tried to run it, AVG would delete the executable!

my fear is that this is something that will just get worse over the coming years. there will be money to be made in getting the anti-virus companies to 'approve' your programs, or having them placed in the microsoft software store. i'd imagine the end-game will something like the apple store, except for windows 10.

the same will (as you are observing) happen to websites. anti-virus software is starting to get very aggressive about 'persuading' users to install extra modules for identity protection, website screening, etc. even now, some of these features are reported as no longer being able to be deselected or turned off.

cheers,
rob   :-)

On the compiled files issue you need to do a local exclusion from scanning for the directory you are working from.  This does make it a DMZ so be carfull what you copy into those folders from the Internet.  I like to unzip files into a temp folder before I copy them to excluded folder so that Antivirus has a chance to scan them. The rason for the delition is most offten caused by the Reputation profileing of EXEs that Antivirus programs use.  You freshly compiled file has NO rep being only seconds old.  Just figure out how to exclude the folder.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:18pm 29 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It would be nice if people did not resurrect long dormant threads.  Start your own thread with a suitable introduction.
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 29 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  It would be nice if people did not resurrect long dormant threads.  Start your own thread with a suitable introduction.

Wow you are right I didn't even see how old this one was!!! The email notification takes you right to the last entry.  Good to know.  Thanks.

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024