<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Boppa

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 November 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Phil23 wrote:
Boppa wrote:
In the early days of lans, I installed literally hundreds of lans with the old 50 ohm coax (10mbs- wow!!!).....

Lantastic ring any bells?

Cut my teeth on the 2Mbps adaptors before stepping up to the 10Mbps big boys...

Oh, and did play with the 115200kbps one that was software only & used RS-232 ports.

Phil.

Lantastic, god havent heard that in years....
And did a lot of the old serial port to serial port as well (using the db25's, hand soldered lol)

For many years I had an old vt100 out on the back veranda, was left out there permanently- too heavy and too old to even bother stealing, just threw a garbag over it when not in use to keep the rain off, that was my outside net surfer right up until early/mid 2000's... It could only handle text of course but then it was the heyday of the big forums and they all displayed pretty much ok (sssf, techtalk, scribbly gum,JJJ, pol animal all over at the abc, bad astronomy, jref later on

Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

Boppa

Posted: 30 November 2017 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Phil23 wrote:

Then Optus stands a 4G tower with 700Meg among others 180m down the road...
This one gets in not thru the aerial, but via the old run of RG-59 from the lounge room to the bedroom, about 10-15m.

Only bit that's left that's RG59 & not RG6, AND a real sh*t of a crawl under the house to replace.

Cheers

Phil.

Is it `properly secured' or just hung over handy beams like I usually do on my own stuff???
if hanging loose, start at the point furthest away, tape old coax to new coax (even solder together if heavy pulling may be required then feed through till joint is under the house, the pull on it until at other end (a feeder at the non pulled end helps)
nine times out of ten I can do it without even getting under the house (or in the roof) with a bit of back and forth jiggling at various bind spots
It usually binds when re entering the hole, usually inches from the end, but do it that way, at least you dont have to crawl as far to unhook it as if you had done it the other direction

I got really good at that over the years, I'd hate to think of the miles of coax and networking cables (and other cables) Ive run over my life- probably reach the moon and back lol

Alastair

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote Alastair

Lantastic - that brings back memories. I ran it in a commercial site in its very earlier days because the practice owners would not pay for "real" network h/w and s/w. It was buggy in the early phase but got sorted. Certainly a cheap option initially.

I used it to access a database on a common system in a network of 6 pc's. My first problems were that it did not correctly support multi user access for a Dataflex resource. For about 2 years I had to use a pseudo lock on records by setting a field in a record I wanted to update. It still potentially had a race condition risk of coincident access. I got away with it long enough until the practice agreed to pay for a Netware server - therein lies another tale.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Phil23 wrote:
Grogster wrote:
NetBEUI was the protocol I seem to remember, and it was not routable, but was really easy to get going.....

Dead right; and at the really scary end of things was TCP/IP....

And those stacks & Winsockets....
I just didn't want to go there if it could be avoided.

Indeed. I remember that the I.T. guy at the time I was using coax network, had to work hard on me to get me to change to TCP/IP. Now I wonder what I was so worried about.....

I think it was just that NetBEUI/NetBIOS was so much easier to get working vs TCP/IP where you had to assign IP addresses, nemasks and gateways, permissions and so on and so forth.

@ Boppa - will PM you.

Azure

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Azure

I remember putting together Corvus OMNInet networks.
Coax was still too expensive for small businesses.
OMNInet was based on twisted pair, but lost out to Coax a few years later.
In the mid 80's I ported Novell Netware to the NEC Computers at the time.

So OMNInet was twisted pair. Company went Ch.11.
Lost out to Coax for networking market.
Coax went from thick to thin cabling.
During this time token ring was a contendor.
Years later market switches from Coax to twisted pair.

What fun times we had.
Back to Top View Azure's Profile Search for other posts by Azure

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 December 2017 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote bigmik

Phil, All,

Phil23 wrote:

Lantastic ring any bells?

My first efforts with setting up a network was with LANTASTIC (Circa mid '80s) and 50ohm coax linking the PCs together.. I had forgotten that until you awakened my sleeping brain cells..

Then went to twisted pair 10MB and up to GB, I thought I knew all there was to know until work sent me on a CISCO course... Crikey talk about eye opener ... I have since forgotten more than I ever knew but at least I have the understanding of what `real' networks can do..

Kind Regards,

Mick

Back to Top View bigmik's Profile Search for other posts by bigmik

Phil23
Guru
Guru

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Phil23

Boppa wrote:
Phil23 wrote:

Only bit that's left that's RG59 & not RG6, AND a real sh*t of a crawl under the house to replace.

Is it `properly secured' or just hung over handy beams like I usually do on my own stuff???

Ripped 70% of the flooring out of this house; big job even with the circular & chain saws....

Over he next 3 weeks while all the old stumps were being pulled & replaced with steel I spent a lot of time with saddles & staples tidying everything up.

Of the 6 Coax feeds, 2 remained as RG59.
At the time there was about a dozen CAT5 runs.

That was before I somehow have managed to get rid of another 200m of Cat6 in the last few weeks....

Phil.
Back to Top View Phil23's Profile Search for other posts by Phil23

Boppa

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

ouch....

One trick I have used in the past for ultralow stumped houses where access isnt possible, is to basically run the coax in small conduit, then drill the hole slantwise at the feed point and just keep pushing it through the hole until it pops out from under the house, secure both ends up in the air so water cant get in and bingo, coax installed. I had to do this in a house where the tv outlet was basically as near as dead set in the center of the house and it was a flat roof ie no roof cavity. Short of deroofing half the house, I did my slanted hole trick in the corner of the lounge where the tv was and just fed it till it was available at the edge, then ran it along the edge to a downpipe and up conduit hidden by the downpipe.
Much neater and several hours labour less than the comps quote, which would have had the coax running along the floor in 3 rooms....
tacky....

lizby

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 2:02am | IP Logged Quote lizby

Pardon my unfamiliarity with the term, but what is meant by "stumped house".
Back to Top View lizby's Profile Search for other posts by lizby

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

It's a house that is built on 'piles', or 'stumps' rather than on a slab directly on the ground.

A typical "Queenslander" (Named after the State they were popular in).
The high set house with lots of room underneath was perfect for natural cooling in the hot Queensland summers. Most have had the underneath bricked up to create extra living space and the natural cooling has been replaced with air conditioning.

High stumps weer easy to get under for rewiring etc but low 'stumps' give very little wriggle room, especially as your belly expands with age. Sharing a tight space with the snakes is not my idea of fun.

Jim (ex Queenslander)

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

Boppa

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

TassyJim wrote:

High stumps weer easy to get under for rewiring etc but low 'stumps' give very little wriggle room, especially as your belly expands with age. Sharing a tight space with the snakes is not my idea of fun.

Jim (ex Queenslander)

Tell me about it, I just did a mates place putting security cameras up, had about a 4ft high roof cavity, and I am neither as agile or as slim as I used to be 30 years ago....
took 2 days to wire up, and man, did I feel it afterwards.....

(Now I know why the apprentices always got the s%@t jobs like that, because if I had had one, I wouldnt have been up in that roof lol)

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

"He's only the apprentice, and we're only having fun!"

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version