Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Madness
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 April 2018 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Madness

brucedownunder2 wrote:

Hi FLc1, still at Mt.Tamborine Gold Coast hinterland. Looked down last Wednesday on Carrara stadium for the opening of the Commonwealth Games .very nice place up here ,sort of compensates for my tower stuff-up's,lol.

My tower building has been a bit of a disarster, ol boofhead here,just can,t get it right !! . But, I'll soldier on with help from all you lurkers ,it seems the weight of the Exmork is just too much .

back to a lighter wind gennie,

Thanks all

Bruce

I was looking at your photos and thinking you have got a nice view there.

The photo Yahoo posted of the tower pivoting about half way looks like the ultimate solution. I remember many years ago I saw an amateur radio tower that was made of triangular sections that telescoped. This then allowed you to stand up a much shorter tower, fix the guys and then it winched up one section at a time. Has anybody seen this type of tower used for a wind generator?

Back to Top View Madness's Profile Search for other posts by Madness

yahoo2
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote yahoo2

yep, can even do totally portable!

The problem with wind turbines is the easiest towers to erect are less than 40 foot and the wind starts to laminar flow and produce good energy in the warmer regions at 60 foot.

Madness
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Madness

Years ago I had a 1500w Dunlite up 24M and it was a failure due to up draft amongst trees. It would run great for 20 seconds then do a 360 rotation and keep repeating that over and over. In the photo below it is looking at it from the SW, westerly winds worked well but the predominant E - SE winds were a failure. Had to pull it down a number of times to fix it, climbing that tower and lowering a 50KG plus generator is not something I will be doing again. I like that telescopic idea if it had 3 or 4 10M sections and a pivot halfway up the first one.

Edited by Madness on 11 April 2018 at 7:26am

fillm
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 April 2018 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote fillm

, I have this one to bring down soon to replase the dead whisper that did not like lightning. Its 20mtr with a 10mtr ginpole . Then after that I have a 3kw Var Pitch with a 5mtr GOE222 I am putting up here on a 12mtr / 150mm pole for testing, it is close to 300kg on the tower .
If you do all the calculations and have good foundations its all the same principles
as lifting Loads with cranes and working out the correct load factors, angles and total weight with a generous safety margin .... then all should go well.

You just never want this to happen when lowering any kind of tower. LINK HERE to VID that took place at a mine in Central Queensland not far from a mine where I worked on these Draglines for 12yrs.

Edited by fillm on 12 April 2018 at 10:46pm

windlight
Guru
Guru

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote windlight

Bruce did you solve this problem? I my experience the mast bends towards the direction lo lift not away, when you have it halfway up. just wondering.

brucedownunder2
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote brucedownunder2

Hi Alan,

Yes, sort of figured it out --.Too hard basket . I'm getting too old and weak nowdays to do the stupid things I used to do !!

With one kidney out of action ,my weakness comes on after about 3 hours from waking and I have to go back to rest for an hour or so ,to rejunivate my blood .

So, rigging work and most of the heavy lifting around here is now a thing of the past.

Feel good in my self ,apart from that ,so I'm thankful to just tinker around .

Everything is still there , just waiting for a young energenic fellow to take an interest.

Glad you are doing fine up there.

Bruce

windlight
Guru
Guru

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote windlight

Gee Bruce that's easy, backpacker, graduate structural engineer from Germany with bumps on chest

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 3
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version