Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects         Section
Subject Topic: CGCOLORMAX2 designed for LEGO??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rave

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 April 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote rave

Hi,

After measuring the four corner holes on the CGCOLORMAX2 board offered by CircuitGizmos, I could absolutely not resist to try to build a LEGO case for it, because these four holes are perfectly aligned to the standard LEGO stud dimensions. I wonder if the CGCOLORMAX2 was designed for LEGO? My kids sure think so!

Anyway, the result is a customizable case that has a nice fit and finish built with just a few LEGO parts that I had lying around. This case will not break easily or lose its parts, despite its just LEGO! I can plug VGA, PS/2 and USB in the back and slide an SD card in the slot in the front. There is enough room for the "Arduino" headers soldered on the board and wiring for projects. The green (power) and blue (SD card activity) LEDs clearly visible through the sides of the front slot that looks like a vintage floppy drive.

No, this is not an April 1 fools joke, it actually works

- Rob

Back to Top View rave's Profile Search for other posts by rave

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Perfect for mounting a Lego robot arm on top.
Controlled by the Maximite naturally.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

rave

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 5:13am | IP Logged Quote rave

This is work in progress. I added a stereo jack and internal speaker (mono, one channel only) with amplifier to the LEGO CMM computer. A proper retro computer should have a decent internal speaker as well as a stereo jack.

The amplifier is driven by 5V and connected to the audio 1 pin. The jack is connected to both audio pins (1 for left, 2 for right). This amplifier has four gain levels (6dB, 9dB, 12dB, 15dB and 18dB) with a jumper, which makes your room mates happier. The highest gain with the 3W speaker sounds pretty loud at 18dB gain.

Some gripes about the CMM as a "retro computer":

- the stereo jack part ordered from CircuitGizmos is not useful, since it can't e easily soldered on the board. Instead I ordered the Adafruit breadboard-friendly stereo headphone jack. To sell the CMM as a retro computer should come with a proper stereo jack, e.g. to be soldered on the front or on the back of the board (the back has no space left though).

- the CMM tone command produces high-pitched noise artifacts (sound like resonance interference) above 9K Herz, which is disappointing. Playing MOD files is OK. No artifacts.

- only a few MOD files can be stored on the A drive. It would be nice if the B drive could be supported or if there was a way to generate sound in software (ideally in MMBASIC) like you can do with SID chips, to write games in MMBASIC.

- the latest MMBASIC interpreter 4.5b is buggy and eats up memory fast when making function calls, see my previous posts.

My CMM currently functions as a workhorse for projects with sensors, DC motors etc. Using it for LEGO NXT motors e.g. for robotics, will be tricky, due to the non-standard NXT connectors and power draw.

- Rob
Back to Top View rave's Profile Search for other posts by rave

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 12 July 2018 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote CircuitGizmos

I love how that looks!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
In the news...