Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grogster
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 April 2018 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Boppa wrote:
I thought that was pretty good going and I even got paid for it, it bought my first diskdrive! no more audio cassettes and 10/30 minute waiting to load! 5 1/4" cbm disk drive, 160kb of storage per disk....
kb, not mb....

I hear that.

Atari 810 format was 82K per disk, from what I remember - it's been a while.
The 1050 drive could do 127K I think it was. Maybe 130K.
The XF551 drive could do both of those, along with SSDD at 180K per side, or 360K in true double-sided format, where you did not flip the disk(remember 'Flippies'!), but the drive would still write to both sides of the disk.

Edited by Grogster on 17 April 2018 at 4:46pm

Back to Top View Grogster's Profile Search for other posts by Grogster Visit Grogster's Homepage

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Flippies LOL, yeah the old apple II floppy was single sided, and as a highschooler, we were never big on the old folding...
So to double your floppy storage, you got a second floppy, flipped it over and lay it on top of yours, then carefully cut out a second write protect notch on the other side...
Bingo double the storage for an Apple II diskdrive....

Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Azure

For the officionardoes the fipping caused data reliability problems as the disk was rotated within the sleeve in reverse dislodging debrie.
Back to Top View Azure's Profile Search for other posts by Azure

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I had one of these sexy tools!

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Azure wrote:
For the officionardoes the fipping caused data reliability problems as the disk was rotated within the sleeve in reverse dislodging debrie.

Owwwwww, really?!

I never had that issue from what I remember.....but then maybe I did, and did not twig to it.

I even remember CUTTING the top edge of the disk, and removing the actual disk itself from the packet, and flipping it over and putting it back in when using the XF551 drive, which would not allow you to make flippies. I got a hardware hack from somewhere at the time, that DID allow me to make flippies with my XF551 drive.

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Azure

Technically yes. The sleeve would catch any debris/dust/dirt and reversing the direction dislodges it and grinds it back over the surface. But like I posted, only if you want to get picky. Most people would do the flippy.

I still have some hard sectored floppies from even earlier days. Would love to have a drive to see if there is any data still residing on them.

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Azure wrote:
@Boppa

I was working with Owen Hill doing some assembly (building S100 boards) and attending one of his microcontroller courses when the Microbee was being designed. I pointed him towards what we were doing with video games (my day job) for graphics to help with a problem he was trying to solve. We stayed in touch for several years after that.

Cool...
I nearly put together a S100 system at one stage, but when the microbe 16 came out, I shelved that idea and went the bee route
I also put together a system80, an old dse kit that was a z80 based unit, it was a fun little beast as well, but at the time the 65xx family were more widespread and the software was more common
As an aside, I had to fix a washing machine that had had a cockroach infection in the old outside laundry of a mates, and its controller used a..... zx80!!

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Azure

And then there is my collection of 8" floppies from when I started coding for work before they created those newfangled 5 1/4" things.

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Azure wrote:
Technically yes. The sleeve would catch any debris/dust/dirt and reversing the direction dislodges it and grinds it back over the surface. But like I posted, only if you want to get picky. Most people would do the flippy.

I still have some hard sectored floppies from even earlier days. Would love to have a drive to see if there is any data still residing on them.

I still got a heap of old 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppies, even some old apple II ones, most are c64, vic20 and early ibm stuff (xt, tandy colour computer etc) all stored in a box

god knows why I keep them or even if they still work, some must be pushing 40 years old

I did have a box of 8" pet ones, but I lost those a few years back in a cyclone

eta

Windows 2.0, 1987, came on 8 floppies, mine is disk number 58 in the series....

Edited by Boppa on 17 April 2018 at 5:22pm

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

Boppa wrote:
I still dont like no line number basic programs and still write mine with line numbers, to me thats just easier to keep track of than numberless code

Thats just my personal preference tho

whatever works for you - you are writing code, that's what's important!

I have found that with customers the thing of ultimate importance is to keep them in their comfort zone.

Some use IT but are definitely not OK with it... the sort that develops a routine they have to stick with... I replaced a PC a couple of years back... no PC today has a 3.5" floppy drive... I grabbed a USB one off ebay for $2 to keep the customer working with floppies coz that's what they knew and they didn't really "get" the concept of what they were doing, just went through the motions and it all worked for them. Comfort zone maintained and who am I to criticize?

Edited by CaptainBoing on 17 April 2018 at 6:14pm
Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

Revlac

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Revlac

Did anyone use GEOS for c64?
Used to think it was pretty good.

A long time ago a friend of mine had a C64 running 5 1/4 drive with 2 heads, so there was no need to flip the disc, however over time the head carrier bent a bit and that ended up destroying quite a few discs (could hear it squeal), before he worked out the problem with it.
I think it was track 18, you could hold the disc up to the light and see straight through.
I have done the same with a single head a few times when dirt built up on the head.
Used to have a tape drive too, damn those things where slow.

Back to Top View Revlac's Profile Search for other posts by Revlac

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 3
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version