Subject Topic: HC-12 old vs new module.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Andrew_G

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Andrew_G

Hi Paul and Grogs,
I crafted a long rambling reply last night but I mustn't have pressed the "Post" button because it disappeared.
In essence it said "thanks - please keep up the detective work"!

My new HC-12s have arrived but not Grogster's test rig so I'll await that before I explore too much. They look the same as my older ones but the two holes are less distinct and the crystal is marked "30.000 MHZ" whereas two of the previous batch I looked at were "CEC 4J 30.00L" a third is marked "e 300 @323Q" (the @ symbol is indistinct). (I have others in devices if you need me to look??).
All of my old ones "appear" to inter-connect OK but some are only transmitting - I have no idea if they receive correctly (have I just fluked it to put good 2-way ones where needed?)

Grogs, is that consistent with your experience, ie they transmit OK but don't receive?

My PC is running XP so I'll need to sort out the drivers when the USB HC-12s arrive.

Thanks again, Andrew

Back to Top View Andrew_G's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew_G

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

They receive fine too, if they are the fakes. They will ignore 95% of messages transmitted from genuine ones, but if you set up two or more of the fakes, they work fine, so that means they receive fine too.

Crystals marked "30.000MHZ" are suspect, and I would expect them to be OFF frequency, and therefore problematic if you try to make them work with the other genuine ones.

The programmer/tester thing allows you to program modules, but to test them, you really do need some kind of frequency counter or scanner radio, to listen to the frequency you have programmed, so you can make sure that the burble from the radio is on the frequency it should be on when the module transmits. If you don't hear anything when you transmit, they are off frequency ones. This can be confirmed with the same radio - move up the band 37kHz and if you hear the transmission burble there, you know you have out-of-spec ones.

EDIT: For XP, use the drivers for the E28 available for download from the downloads page of my website. It's the same USB chip.

Edited by Grogster on 11 May 2018 at 12:47pm

Andrew_G

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Andrew_G

Thanks Grogs. I have some E28s from Rob/you and the drivers.
Bit of a bu##er about the new HC-12s having "30.000MHZ" crystals. Until the UHF radio arrives I can use your tester to program them and see how they communicate (without soldering them).

I've been "requested" to go away for the weekend (no WWW except via phone) so as usual lack of response is not lack of interest. Back Sunday/Monday, Andrew.

palcal
Guru
Guru

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote palcal

@ Andrew_G
Not a dirty weekend for Mother's Day. ?

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

I've gotten a reply from HC01.com, I've asked them for a direct link to the HC12's selling point or a list of dealers that stock genuine ones, see what I get, fingers x'd

(at least the woman I am emailing has good english, so hopefully get a good result from her)

I tried an english email to begin with with no reply, so I tried google translating my english email into chinese and sent that, asking if they had anyone who knew english

:-)
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

Andrew_G

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Andrew_G

Paul, not at our age! But we do have a raging open fire going with spuds ready to go in and a new Jaffa iron to test. I'm about to open a good red!
Limited electronics this weekend.
Andrew

Quazee137

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Quazee137

Was looking over a few PDF's

have a look at page 19 of 2018-05-11_223645_AN633.pdf.zip

and page 36 of Si4463-61-60-C.pdf

It may be that they can be re-tuned to work as they should be.

Back to Top View Quazee137's Profile Search for other posts by Quazee137

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 May 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

@ Boppa - you're a star. I should have thought of that myself. Please keep the forum updated. What we really need, is an English version of their site, so people can order direct from them and we know that we are getting the genuine article then. I don't care one jot if it costs a little more then the eBay or AliExpress ones, cos you would know they are genuine.

If possible, can you ask your contact if she can confirm that cloned HC-12's now exist? That's what we all think, but if we could get some kind of confirmation out of hc01.com(in English!), that would seal the deal.

@ Andrew_G - Yes, is pretty much winter over here now, and baked spuds are a favourite of mine this time of year. I will probably over-eat on the bloody things....

@ Quazee137 - Yes, I read that too when I was first reading the RF chip PDF. The frequency can be tailored to the crystal you are using. This is further evidence of clones, cos they just COPY the thing, but don't bother to make any adjustments. Had hc01.com actually made some with a different crystal then normal, I fully expect they would have tweaked those registers in the FW, to make them work with the thousands of other ones. Cloners simply don't care about details. I might be jumping to conclusions a little there with that statement, but I fear I am probably not.

Quazee137

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Quazee137

Well my though was that those who got stuck with clones and might be
able to bring them into the right frequencies using that information.

Not sure if usage of the clones would be illegal in some places.

Back to Top View Quazee137's Profile Search for other posts by Quazee137

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Depends on how much trouble you want to go to for a $5 module. In theory, you should be able to rewrite the registers to correct the frequency issue, but it would involve a lot of effort, making it impractical considering the cost of the things.

Use of the clones would only be illegal if the frequency error put you outside of the band you were allowed to operate in. This is actually the case in NZ with the clones, as 458.60MHz is legal, but above 458.61Mhz is not, so the clones being on 458.637MHz or so makes them illegal - on that channel.

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Well theres good news and bad news....
Bad news is HC01.com is currently dealing with sales in China only atm

Good news is that they are 'thinking' about setting up an english online store possibly, perhaps, maybe...

They also have a rather large range of other modules in their lineup too, usb hc12's, bluetooth, wifi, all sorts of fun toys

There are definitely clones/fakes out there not being made by HC01.com, real ones have the thick white printing on a blue pcb, and t300 crystals, anything else is not a HC01.com board

I am attempting with her help to set up an account atm, and might possibly be able to provide a 'idiots guide to buying hc12s', they do do paypal or direct debit via bank accounts (I'd stick with paypal I think) so if I can figure out what buttons to push and put it in a simple step by step instruction set, you would be able to order directly from them even though its in chinese....

fingers x'd, we'll see if it happens (currently I am stuck on their account section doesnt accept my australian address, I am awaiting a reply on how to 'trick' their system into accepting an aussie address...)
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

palcal
Guru
Guru

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote palcal

@Boppa... If they were ordered in bulk would it help. Grogster mentioned that he had used 100s. Just thinking maybe Grogs or someone could order say 100 and we could buy of him. I just thought they would be more likely to sell say 100 than in ones and twos.
Paul.

Edit. Then again I suppose if you see a picture of what you are buying it is a fair bet you would pick the real thing.

Edited by palcal on 16 May 2018 at 7:02am

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version