Page of 5 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grogster
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I found that more and more these days, I need to have both the ICSP pins AND the console pins at the ready. To ease my stress level having to keep reconnecting things between ICSP mode and console mode, I decided to build a special programmer/debugger tool.

The board is 43mm x 15mm so quite small. The 1455 chip is SSOP. All passives are 0805, regulator is SOT-223. It was after I ordered them, that I thought that the SOD-123 diode on the 3v3 line is probably pointless, as the 3v3 pin will actually be around 2v7. The idea was to stop an externally powered circuit from coming back into the output of the programmer regulator. The 1455 chip does not care about the 3v3 line like the Microchip PK3 does, so I guess it does not matter that much.

The business end of the unit has a 2x4 female header mounted with the board in the middle of the two rows of pins. This could be male, and the boards female if preferred, this is just how I do it. It is a standard 2.54mm 2x4 header with the following pinout:

What I like about having the ICSP and the console on one common connector, is that you can program the HEX into the MM using the ICSP pins, and also talk to the console on the same header, all via the one unit. This saves a lot of wire-swapping between ICSP and console on boards that DON'T have the 1455 incorporated. And cos the 1455 chip automatically drops out of ICSP mode back to serial mode when it has finished programming the HEX into the chip, as soon as that is done, you can just open the COM port and start talking to the console without having to change anything.

If there is any interest in this, I can build a constructors pack and publish it on my website so others can download and build their own. Just let me know on this thread if you want me to do that.

EDIT: Fix spelling mistakes.

Edited by Grogster on 17 May 2018 at 1:07pm

Back to Top View Grogster's Profile Search for other posts by Grogster Visit Grogster's Homepage

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote CircuitGizmos

Grogster wrote:

EDIT: Fix spelling mistakes.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

HAHAHA!!!

Chopperp

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Chopperp

Hi Groggs
It took me ages to work out what was going on here. I think I get it. Bit slow!!!
There is a double row of male header soldered to the end of the main board with the board between them & they plug into female headers on the MM board which has the ICSP & Console pins wired up as per the "Business End". Is that correct?

Also I: Is it possible for your bottom board photos be flipped / rotated end to end. It may make it easier for me to mentally line up the top & bottom components & tracks etc.

Also II: How do you load the HEX file using the 1455?

Thanks.

BTW, you got your workbench tidy yet?

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I do it with a female(what?!) header on the unit, and male pins on the project, but you can have it with male pins on the unit, and female header on the project - up to you.

The board images are flipped horizontally, as that is how you would look at the board, if you turned it over horizontally. How about an image showing both layers:

The 1455 is both a USB-serial adaptor for the console, and also a programmer so you can load any new HEX file into the PIC32 chip at the heart of the Micromite, without having to use the Microchip IPE(and it's massive IDE download) or a PicKit-3 programmer tool. Press the SELECT button to put the unit into ICSP mode, and program your HEX file firmware into the PIC32 chip.

EDIT: Workbench? What's a workbench? I can't see any workbench for the mess!

Edited by Grogster on 18 May 2018 at 9:37am

Chopperp

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Chopperp

Thanks Groggs

Not sure with both images together.

What do you use to upload the HEX file with? Can it be done with MMEdit?

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Here are both images just for you.

To upload a HEX to a PIC32 chip, you use the 1455 as the programming tool, and PIC32PROG.EXE, which is a command-line programmer co-developed by robert.rozee and Serge Vakulenko. Rob write a nice little GUI for the front-end, so you can do it all with just a few mouse clicks:

The procedure is:

1) Connect the 1455 to your Micromite chip
2) Press SELECT button to put the 1455 into ICSP programmer mode(LED lights)
3) Run pic32prog GUI, select HEX file and COM port that the 1455 is on
4) Click "Flash PIC32"

That's all there is to it.

"Flash NANO" is an option for the original concept that used an Arduino Nano as the basis of the programmer. You could click this button to load the code into the NANO module to make the programmer work. You can safely ignore that button, as we don't use it anymore.

Edited by Grogster on 18 May 2018 at 10:38am

Chopperp

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Chopperp

Ah, thanks very much Groggs for both the images & the instructions.
I have seen the program mentioned now & then.
Leave you to your bench clean up

plover

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote plover

Grogster
I am very interested in a kit (even fully built but for the connectors in case a swop is needed when I get to the point of using it. count me in.
Back to Top View plover's Profile Search for other posts by plover

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

have you thought of integrating a USB plug into the PCB? either a real plug, or a 'tongue' as part of the board.

btw, it is probably more accurate to say that serge wrote pic32prog, while i just wrote some extensions to a small part of it :-) and even then, i was working closely under serge's guidance.

cheers,
rob :-)
Back to Top View robert.rozee's Profile Search for other posts by robert.rozee

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

No, not really. I don't see the need. In that situation, you WOULD be able to plug the thing directly into the USB port on the host, but then it would be fiddly to get the thing you wanted to program or talk to, to connect to the other end.

I stand corrected on the pic32prog.exe note. Serge wrote a brilliant bit of utility exe in pic32prog and your enhancements make it a joy to use to program MM chips.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

The PCB's for this have arrived. I hope to build one in the next few days.

Photo of a PCB shown with a PK3 for size comparison:

Page of 5 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version