Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 June 2018 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote CircuitGizmos

erbp wrote:
+1 for the 1C version, especially the pin arrangement.

If I had one of these I would block off the GND pin socket hole next to the 3v3 pin on the Console side of the board. Then for any boards / devices that I wanted to be able to use this with I would remove the corresponding pin on the 2 x 6 male connector - presto, you can only plug it in one way and you still have all signals and voltages available. Brilliant!!

Great idea. In my experience, a corner pin is easiest. perhaps the one labeled 3.3 could be moved down one position. Corner pin labeled 'key' in that case.

Back to Top View CircuitGizmos's Profile Search for other posts by CircuitGizmos Visit CircuitGizmos's Homepage

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Cutting the pin of the male header on the PCB is easy(or install a 5p header there), but does anyone know where you can get the little filler things that you can put in the female header thing, to block that pin hole?

Here is the new version:

This PCB is 43.6mm x 15.0mm in size - small.

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 13 June 2018 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Grogster wrote:
but does anyone know where you can get the little filler things that you can put in the female header thing, to block that pin hole?

Match stick.

You will have to whittle it down a bit but they do stay there once in.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Azure

Here is one They are generally referred to as
Keying Plug
Back to Top View Azure's Profile Search for other posts by Azure

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote bigmik

Hi Grogs,

Just pop in a loose metal pin from a scrap bit of a MALE header..

Works well

Regards,

Mick

Back to Top View bigmik's Profile Search for other posts by bigmik

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote CircuitGizmos

A coworker used gel superglue. I've done that and after it cured I dabbed a spot of yellow paint (from a paint pen) on top. Makes it nice to see if the connector is black.

erbp

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote erbp

After a bit more thought I have one more suggestion on this topic. I would very much like to see the 3v3 connection on the ICSP side of the connector controlled via a jumper. This was also previously suggested by CircuitGizmos. I would be happy with just a 2 way header so that the 3v3 can be connected if the header pins are shorted, or left disconnect when they are not (the earlier suggestion was for a 3-way header so that you could select 3v3 or 5v or no connection - I don't need that level of complexity but others may).

This would allow easy disconnection of power to the device from this module if the device is using its own external power supply (like a 5" LCD backpack which may overtax the 3v3 regulator on the debugger/programmer module) or supplying 3v3 to the device under test if that is required. It just adds another level of flexibility making this module even more useful.

P.S. thanks for the mod to provide a key pin.

Cheers,
Phil.
Back to Top View erbp's Profile Search for other posts by erbp

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

On projects that don't want the 3v3, how about just not install that pin on the board so the 3v3 from the female header would never be connected to the PCB? Exactly the same idea as the KEY pin, but for the 3v3 pin. The key pin would still prevent you from putting the thing on the PCB the wrong way around. Thoughts?

erbp

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote erbp

I guess I could live that that as a solution, however my preference would be for the option to power / not-power the device under test to be available, but if it's not something others want then ok.

However I believe there is a wiring issue with the 1C board. The ground end of the power LED series resistor is no longer connected to ground! Check the left end of the 4K7 resistor just above the word CONSOLE in the lower image above. It connects to a small area of "ground plane" copper, but that no longer has a connection to ground as it was severed by the 3v3 track relocation when you moved the 3v3 pin down one position.

Cheers,
Phil.
Back to Top View erbp's Profile Search for other posts by erbp

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

my personal preference would be a small slide switch to connect/disconnect the 3v3. something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm//183147427235
you could place the pads for both this and a 0.1" 2-pin header, with those who want 3v3 permanently connected just soldering in a link.

personally, i'd also prefer the SOIC version of the 1455, much easier to solder for the beginner, and only a little bigger.

have you looked at what cases are available that the PCB could drop into? combined with a tidy looking case this could be a marketable PICKIT3 alternative for those just interested in programming PIC32 devices.

cheers,
rob :-)

Edited by robert.rozee on 14 June 2018 at 11:01am
Back to Top View robert.rozee's Profile Search for other posts by robert.rozee

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

@ erbp - I will look into this. Yes, the LED has no ground reference in the above photos. That has been corrected.

@ Rob - SOIC is too big to fit in the current layout, however, I will have a play with the layout and move things around a little and see if that can be made to work - you were right last time. (the E28) The SIL switch is a neat idea. I will play with the layout. No idea on case. I was never planning to case it.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

The 1455 is happy running at 5v. Why don't we just drop the 3v3 regulator completely?
If you are going to be using this thing, you are most likely going to be plugging it into a finished PCB which will have it's own on-board regulation anyway. Thoughts?

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version