<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

that may not work so well, as both the ICSP and serial pins may/would then be driven at 5v, not 3v3. this may cause issues that at the least require series resistors to be added.

the arduino nano solution (a 5v part) got around this by using open-collector outputs with pullups to a crude 3v3 regulator. the 1455 doesn't use external pullups, i'm pretty dure it drives pins both low AND high directly.

cheers,
rob :-)

Back to Top View robert.rozee's Profile Search for other posts by robert.rozee

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Acknowledged. Back to the original layout shuffle then.

I might swap the SOT-223 regulator for a SOT-89 version of the same, as it is smaller and gives me a few more mm to work with.

erbp

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote erbp

I wouldn't think it a problem if you increased the length of the board by a few mm (even out to 50mm) if that helps fit everything on. Obviously it would be desirable to keep the width at around 15mm, as that matches the 2x6 connector.

Phil.
Back to Top View erbp's Profile Search for other posts by erbp

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote Azure

A 3 pin 0.1" header [3v3, pin, 5v] would cover most requirements (including none). IF placed close to the edge a vertical or horizontal header can used to choose whatever jumper mounting position is most convenient for the task required or it can also be hardwired.

A slide switch is a nice option as suggested but in this case I would prefer a nice simple 2 pin jumper block on a 3pin header, but that's just me.
Back to Top View Azure's Profile Search for other posts by Azure

MicroBlocks
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote MicroBlocks

As only the PIC32 can be programmed with it, there is no need for 5v.

A slide switch to choose between no power and power is the most user friendly.
A 2 pin header would be sufficient.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

An EXCELLENT point on the 5v option, MB.
I will still provide 5v on the header thing, but I won't bother offering a selection between 3v3 and 5v for that pin. I will have SOME kind of switch for the 3v3.

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote bigmik

Grogster,

I have been looking at your board with interest,

(These are comments from MY perspective ..... not criticism)
I donít like the 2x4 or 2 x 6 pin headers (as these donít suit any of my boards).

I do like the bridge chip as a programmer as I currently have 3 PK3 (one for PIC16F1454, one for Pic32MX170 and one spare) as I get sick of waiting for a code flash download every time I flash a different chip..

I can just use the same module to program all chips and do the select in Robs GUI..

The usual way I program chips is by having a FT232RL cable which provides power (5v) and Console via one comm port and the PK3 to program (another comm port) I can then see the GEOFF Msg on completion of a flash on the serial console.. As I use a MuP as the basis the 5v gets regulated down to 3v3 by the MuPs onboard VReg.

The board that suits ME best is your 1A (although the 1C will work).

Do you have any 1A bare PCBs left?

I use the circuit that MicroBlocks gave me for the PIC16F1454/5 bridge circuit that runs off 3v3, I donít personally like using a 5V circuit to drive a 3v3 micro.. if interested I will post it here but it is included in the documentation for MuP3 on my site (see link in my SIgnature below)

Regards,

Mick

Back to Top View bigmik's Profile Search for other posts by bigmik

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 1:59am | IP Logged Quote CircuitGizmos

Mick:

This is a standard 6 pin (1x6) header:

RST
VCC
GND
PGD
PGC
(NC)

You use that, right? Just like the PICKIT?

Solder just a 1x6 header to one side of the 1C board and you are good to go.

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote bigmik

Thanks Rob,

That is why I did say I could use a 1C, but I am thinking of designing an all in one Programming board for my own use that has a 14pin ZIF, 28pin SDIP ZIF, 28pin SSOP ZIF, SOIC ZIF and possibly the 44/64/100 pin flavours as well..

This may be via plug in modules....

My current setup is a MuP (original V1) powered via an FT232RL cable (which also gives me the console on one comm port) and the PK3 plugged into the ICSP header..

I have a 28pin SSOP header board that I plug into the SPDIP ZIF socket to program my SSOP chips..

For the Bridge chips (MatherP bridge or MicroBlocks U2SP) I have a smallish PCB with a bank of ZIFs that came with a PK3 clone and I slightly modified it to flash using its 14pin ZIF.. I plug my FT232RL cable in for Power only plus a PK3..

I have often thought that there must be a better (neater) way to do this.. Grogs has made my mind wake up from its slumber for a few milliseconds..

I often get an order for a couple of 170 and a PIC16 and to swap the setups around and reload the PK3 firmware gets tiring.. when i can use a bridge chip and either use Robís GUI or set up batch files for each chip type..

Of course I can do something similar by transferring to a MuP3 (from my MuP1) and this is one Option I am considering (plug ins for different types)

At this stage my brain has started with out me so I am blabbering a bit.. but then that is what I love about this forum it gives people ideas....

Regards,

Mick

EDIT***

Also what doesnít help my sanity is I havenít yet setup MPLAB on my new PC (I donít want it cluttered) so I use VNC to remote control my old PC to do the programming... I would like to do away with this and I can do that without loading the 3000 TB MPLAB suite on my new sleek PC.

Mik

Edited by bigmik on 16 June 2018 at 10:14am

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

for programming the 1455's, in the past i've used a PICKIT3 i have set up permanently with 'programming-on-the-go'. the 1455 is powered by two AA cells, while the PICKIT3 can take power from any handy 5v source.

you just press the 'go' button on the PICKIT3, wait a few seconds for the lights to change colour, and it is done.

you could instead use a micromite running peter's 1455 programming program, but beware that the version of this on geoff's website programs an older version of the 1455 code (1.17 instead of 1.18). while peter's basic program works through an attached console, it could easilly be changed to instead light LEDs for different conditions.

cheers,
rob :-)
Back to Top View robert.rozee's Profile Search for other posts by robert.rozee

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

@ Mick - I did a programming board for MM chips. Handles DIL and SOIC 170's, and SOIC and DIL 1455's. See the Program-A-Mite thread.

Does not do SSOP or QFP flavours, but perhaps I could update the board so it does.

EDIT: I see you were the first to reply to that thread, so you obviously know all about that board. I myself use quite a lot of the SSOP MM chips now(cos they are nice and small), so perhaps I WILL update that board so it can do SSOP and QFP MM chips too. The reason I did not include them in the first place, was that on-selling programmed MM's or 1455's are most probably going to be the DIL or SOIC versions. SSOP and QFP packages can just be programmed on-board once you assemble the PCB.

Edited by Grogster on 16 June 2018 at 1:04pm

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote bigmik

Hi Grogs,

Yes I knew about that one but the omission of SSOP made it a NO-GO for me..
I have never used (nor seen ... in the flesh) a SOIC Pic'170..

Of course I know about them but I like the size of the SSOP and I do use a LOT of them.. I reckon one customer alone has bought 80 odd of them (built up NanoMites and PicoMites etc.).

EDIT ****

The Program-A-Mite is more or less what I was looking at.. I am thinking now I might have it all done by using a MuP3 with an attached MuP-Proto that has header sockets that the various modules plug into..

Mik

Edited by bigmik on 16 June 2018 at 2:54pm

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version