Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
yahoo2
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote yahoo2

BarkyJ wrote:

Thanks Yahoo2 - I started off looking to use the 56205 bearing and F205 carrier that Gizmo used in his public plans, but they just weren't going to work in the configuration I am planning on.
Any idea of the part number of the bearing you have there?

No i would have to look it up.

i use fafnir bearings so it would probably be a 205 RA-RR or RR series but I dont recall the exact number.

Back to Top View yahoo2's Profile Search for other posts by yahoo2

DaveP68

Posted: 01 June 2018 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote DaveP68

Hi James

Hope the data that I provided is of use to make the MPPT based dynamic equation do it's job as opposed to the table that I've had some success with.

Look forward with anticipation on some real world published data.

David
Back to Top View DaveP68's Profile Search for other posts by DaveP68

BarkyJ

Posted: 01 June 2018 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote BarkyJ

Thanks Yahoo2

Thanks David, yes - amazing help and I will get back into the controller stuff later this long weekend. Now that I have THIS....

Here are some progress shots from today:

Really happy, its coming together nicely.

If you are wondering what the gap in the round tubes is for, this is to access the slip rings (to install it etc), and also where the wires from the stators etc will go to, to then go down the pole via the slip rings. I got a 12 channel 5A per channel stainless slip ring coming, which should be more than enough to cope with the 1x12C Delta currents, which in theory should peak at around 2.8A per stator. Each stator will have its own 3 phases going through the slip rings, so 6 channels, and they will combine down on the ground after the rectifiers.
I then have 6 channels for other things, such as RPM sensor, etc.

More to come over the weekend.

Edited by BarkyJ on 01 June 2018 at 10:35pm
Back to Top View BarkyJ's Profile Search for other posts by BarkyJ

DaveP68

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote DaveP68

Yes the 5A rating per channel on the slip ring won't be exceeded as the peak AC output current between phases from a 1x12C Delta stator is 4 Amps. As mentioned before if that current is reached the stators will be in saturation. This of course is unwanted state if reached. When we have enough perimeters to measure we should be able to prevent that saturation from occurring.

The 2.8 DC Amps is the optimum operating current for peak output power efficiency. It can be exceeded by 20 % to keep the torque on the shaft at a high value in when encountering strong wind gusts.

Saturation occurs at a very predictable value of 40% above the optimum current of 2.8 Amps which just so happens to be 4 Amps.

With the above already loaded into your MPPT based dynamic equation should be able to attain both an efficient + wide operating range over most wind conditions with a bit of safety margin built in.

BarkyJ wrote:
After reading lots on this page, the aim for me is to go tail-less. I am not sure how others feel on this, but the idea I have at this stage is to have a centre pole between the 2 stators, and the turret will be electrically driven with a geared DC motor to point into the wind based on an external wind direction sensor.

Just a question re measuring wind direction and using that to drive a geared DC motor. Is the resolution of external wind direction sensor down to at least 1 deg steps?

The reason for asking, is the external wind direction sensor may move very quickly at times. In that case the output will need to be averaged out for the rate of change of the DC motor to drive the spinning blades fast enough on a horizontal axis but not too fast. The blades are like a disc that will resist sudden movement especially at high RPM.

Anyway you may have already thought of this...

Warpspeed
Guru
Guru

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Warpspeed

Dave,
Barky seems to have the whole plan worked out in very great detail.
Lets just be patient and watch the whole magnificent thing take shape.

BarkyJ

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote BarkyJ

Hi David

Good to get all this backed up as I go along, thanks.
So the stator peak is 4A or so, is this at the AC level, or is this the resulting rectified DC current output?

Regarding wind direction sensor, its an RS485 wind direction sensor and another RS485 wind speed sensor, so both will feed back into my controller over RS485 coms. I believe they are Modbus protocol, so my controller will just turn that into a direction and speed as fast as is supported. In terms of moving the actual turret, that is still to be determined, but yes for sure it will be averaged out, and I may only change things every x duration. So that is still to be figured out, but it wont be as flighty as a normal tail, is the plan. I might move once every 10 seconds, or something, really dont know yet, we shall see what happens I guess.

Hi Warpspeed

All comments are welcome, no sucking eggs etc going on here, happy to hear everything and anything.
As for the magnificent thing, hah, well we shall see I guess. It might be a complete failure, but hopefully it produces some power and can be improved on as time goes on anyway.
Plan is a loose term, but I have a general idea of what I am wanting. The details sort of emerge as each piece goes on.

I have just cleaned off my workbench in the garage, which was horrendously cluttered with past project skeletons, shrapnel, and general rubbish.
Now to wire up my test rig which I had 2x6C Star, onto this 1x12C Dual Delta.
I am excited, and wondering if anything will go pop! My Drill included!!

:)

BarkyJ

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote BarkyJ

I am pretty stoked with progress though, as the actual thing came out just like my design, which I actually forgot to post here before the other images.

Here it the guts of the design:

Here it is a few stages along. I have already started printing the cover supports. Last one is in the printer as we speak. I will either cover it all (with clearance to the rotors) with 0.5mm Aluminium sheet, or I might use that 0.8mm thick clear polycarbonate UV safe sheet you can buy in a roll from Bunnings. Not sure yet. But something along those lines, to keep most of the weather out of the guts.

The blades pictured are extremely first pass CAD concepts only, I haven't done much research on these yet. At the moment they are just placeholders

Here is one of the cover supports still on the printer glass bed. Fits snug over the square box section, and will be fastened in place, and then the covers wrapped over the top in some fashion. All still to be determined yet.

brucedownunder2
Guru
Guru

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote brucedownunder2

Very nice project there, Barkly.

I'm a bit old , so I have to ask .

That green frame thingo ?. you say it's on the printer glass bed or something ,,what do you mean by that and how is it actually made -there, told ya I was a bit dumb?!!.

luv your drawing on that computer , wish I had listened to my teacher at school way back then, might be a rocket scientist by now,Eh?.

You are doing just great ,along with that Mark fella doing the inverter , youse guys are smart.

Have a nice weekend,don,t forget the aerogard .

Bruce

DaveP68

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote DaveP68

BarkyJ wrote:
So the stator peak is 4A or so, is this at the AC level, or is this the resulting rectified DC current output?

Yes good question, as forgot to factor in the 1.414 times from AC to rectifier DC output.

So to clarify the current readings, the "Peak AC current" will 3 Amps when a "Peak DC current" of 4 Amps is taken out of the rectifier.

So when the optimum current of 2.8 Amps DC is reached per Delta stator then the AC current flowing per phase through the slip rings should be 2 Amps AC.

Hi Tony, like James said all input is welcome even if it is only to reinforce/clarify the understanding that may have already being taken into consideration. Re read what I last posted and you will note that is exactly what I had in mind.

Warpspeed
Guru
Guru

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote Warpspeed

This might surprise you, but with three phases, and a six diode bridge, the RMS current through your slip rings will be 82% of the total final dc current.

brucedownunder2
Guru
Guru

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote brucedownunder2

Barkly , I've been thinking ,how does a stepping motor work ? Could it be configured for your application ?

I have one small one out of a very large printer machine ,that has several wires that ,if I'm correct were used to rotate the motor in steps. A bit blurry in my pickled brain at this late stage in life,but ,maybe, it could be the answer ?.

I',ll find it in a day or so and take a photo of it .About the size of a coffee mug . Don,t remember it's voltage . Thats another question for you .How you going to get this external voltage up to your mill head ??. (Maybe a battery and a small inverter up there?.),hey, and a small solar panel ? Motorcycle battery?

Bugger, now I'm won,t be able to sleep for a few nights,I'm hooked again!.

Bruce

BarkyJ

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote BarkyJ

brucedownunder2 wrote:
Very nice project there, Barkly.

I'm a bit old , so I have to ask .

That green frame thingo ?. you say it's on the printer glass bed or something ,,what do you mean by that and how is it actually made -there, told ya I was a bit dumb?!!.

luv your drawing on that computer , wish I had listened to my teacher at school way back then, might be a rocket scientist by now,Eh?.

You are doing just great ,along with that Mark fella doing the inverter , youse guys are smart.

Have a nice weekend,don,t forget the aerogard .

Bruce

Hi Bruce
Ha - the green thing is 1 of 4 of the things I have 3D Printed to act as an outer cover holder for the generator, just to keep out most of the weather from the inside.
So the glass plate goes inside the 3D Printer, and it then prints plastic in the design you load in.

Here is a pic of my 3D printer, pretty heavily modified from stock. Working pretty great really. Good for making prototypes of things, or in this case, good for making bearing holders and brackets and stuff.

Got distracted doing a few other bits today, but got some of the wiring done, just temp until the slip rings arrive, and till its all proven to be OK, then ill strip it all down and paint the steel etc.

Can see 3 of the 4 of those holders in place, the last one just finished on the printer, in the first picture.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version