Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Phil23
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 June 2018 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Phil23

Population here is 11,600.
Just a km to the PO from here.

Very surprised that a similar sized town is losing their PO over there.

Don't know what your PO's are like over there, but you should see the crap ours sell.
Fluffy toys, heated slippers, the "Wonder Products" as seen on TV.

Check out their Cattle Dog for a laugh.

Makes it pretty obvious why they can't deliver mail.

Back to Top View Phil23's Profile Search for other posts by Phil23

Paul_L
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Paul_L

5 miles to Hopewell Junction, 9 miles to Wappingers Falls.
Back to Top View Paul_L's Profile Search for other posts by Paul_L

paceman
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote paceman

Close here Grogs - it's an outer suburb of Melbourne (Research) - half a Km at most. Sending stuff is easy and good but receiving mail/parcels is a lot slower, they effectively only deliver every second day and that's added to slow sorting/mail hub times.
It's no great issue for me though because it's a hobby but I understand your concern trying to run a good business service. An extra few days to get something from you wouldn't effect me if you decided to only go there say twice a week.

Greg
Back to Top View paceman's Profile Search for other posts by paceman

Quazee137

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Quazee137

1.6km A few minutes on my electric trike.
Back to Top View Quazee137's Profile Search for other posts by Quazee137

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Azure

Not sure if it helps, but maybe you can get a bunch of the customs declaration stickers from the post office and hold some stock of the required envelopes you use. The envelopes are pretty cheap when purchased in box quantities.

Does not fix the longer trip time but does make the trip more efficient.

When I was selling regularly online and also doing a lot of local and international postage I was able to get reasonable quantities of the customs declaration labels so they could all be prepared before going to the post office. Time at the post office was reduced mostly to queuing time and weighing/paying.
Back to Top View Azure's Profile Search for other posts by Azure

astroboy

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote astroboy

Its only about 200 metres for me since I'm pretty much in the middle of the big smoke here.

But maybe there are many people who will wait a few extra days when they know they are getting quality...

Back to Top View astroboy's Profile Search for other posts by astroboy

pcaffalldavis

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 2:19am | IP Logged Quote pcaffalldavis

1/3 mile for us in Hyder Alaska. The PO is open five days a week, 10-1 & 2-5, and Sat 10:30-Noon, closed on Sunday. Mail planes only service Hyder Mondays, and Thursdays, excluding holidays, and weather permitting. It is common during the rainy seasons; spring, fall and winter to have no planes for a week to ten days. Just about every year we have at least one or possibly two periods of two to three weeks without a mail plane. All on account of extended bad weather and short daylight hours in winter.

Oh, by the way, the PO here doesn't deliver anything. YOU go to the PO to get your mail, letters and packages.

The bank closed here in 1932 and never reopened. So those who actually use hard currency tend to try and keep it circulating in town. It is a real pain to have to fly out to get cash once every year or two. 'Course there isn't a lot to spend cash on. No grocery store, but a couple of seasonal restaurants, two bars, a couple gift shops, a furrier/cheese store, and of course the Post Office!

I'm still waiting for some Hall effect chips from China I ordered March 19 so I can build the Gauss meter shown on the BS browser side panel. They should be here any day now! Ah, the joys of living remote.

Peter in Hyder

Edited by pcaffalldavis on 13 June 2018 at 2:24am
Back to Top View pcaffalldavis's Profile Search for other posts by pcaffalldavis

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

This has been very interesting for me. I don't quite know WHY I just assumed most members here had a local post-office within a km or so of where they lived. This makes me feel a little better, as, although I still will have to detour to get to the nearest P.O, it would seem many of you already had to, so I was lucky that I didn't have to up to this point, so I should be thankful for that!

@ Azure: Yes, I do keep a stock of customs stickers, boxes, envelopes and airmail stickers all here. So all I really need to do, is go to the P.O to actually mail the things. I do as much as I can here, as that cuts down on the time I have to spend in the P.O.

I still like the idea of doing a local mail collection for others here in town, and running all that mail into the P.O for them for a small fee - might be profitable!

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Most of our local post offices are privately run and part of a newsagent or supermarket.
Aust Post don't pay them much and there are regular fears of some of the agencies closing.

I am glad we got roadside delivery about 10 years ago 'cos we would have no hope of getting it now.

Living out of the big smoke does have advantages. On the morning walk with the dogs, you can stick to the middle of the road. Sometimes the milk tanker comes along and you have to shift to one side but that's about the biggest excitement for the day.

I do know it take the ambulance about 12 minutes to get here. That's probably faster than for most city dwellers.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

palcal
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote palcal

Don't worry too much Grogs I think they are switching to Drones.
Paul.

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote bigmik

GDay Grogs,

My PO is probably 5km from me.. But you have to try to find a car park in a packed shopping centre (I have a rather bulky VAN) and then queue up for up to 30minutes (queue is often well out the door)..

I gave up on PO a long time ago.. I have a post box about 500m away and all of my shipping is either packed in a standard envelope (if just PCBs) or in a small packet of 16mm thick (same size as a small envelope but thicker).. these can have 250gm (or is it 500gm) for a measly $2 in AUS or if I send OS it is the same as a letter at $3.00 if weight under 50gm (That is a bit tough to keep to meet but I can send 3 x 50Gm packets for the same price as 1 heavier packet -- $9.00 over 50gm--).

I don't bother with the customs declaration and (touch wood) I have not had a package go astray..

Shipping times, however, is something that really bugs me.. I have shipped a `letter' to WW in the UK and it took 3 1/2 days to get there.. At the same time I sent one to Newcastle NSW (interstate) and that took 10 days..

I recently shipped an order to Toowoomba QLD and that took 12 days..

Postal services have gone down hill dramatically over the last few years..

Our post office does too many things like accept bill payments and sell printers and ink and other overpriced rubbish.

Anyway, if I was you I would ignore the declarations and send in the guise of a `letter' and just pop the appropriate amount of stamps on and send it via a normal post box..

I always try to make sure my packets (letters) dont rattle when shaken.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by bigmik on 13 June 2018 at 12:41pm

Back to Top View bigmik's Profile Search for other posts by bigmik

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Mine is about 5km away and aprking is soso, but there is rarely anyone in it, so waiting times arent too bad

I often wondered why the post office cant make money, they often say its because of the internet killing the letters, but the internet has also brought in a massive increase in small parcel deliveries (I have gotten 1 letter since last xmas, but had 5 small parcels arrive today alone from aliexpress/ebay) all via aussie post, I never had that many letters in one day ever

Somethings not right (and their answer here is to talk about having only 2 deliveries a week instead of 5... thats going to make them more money how???)
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version