<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MicroBlocks
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 June 2018 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote MicroBlocks

The more packages from China the more losses for the postal services.

Less frequent deliveries saves a lot of money as less distance have to be covered with less man hours. Only way to maintain it.

Back to Top View MicroBlocks's Profile Search for other posts by MicroBlocks

palcal
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote palcal

Yes I have often though of what MicroBlocks says, all these parcels coming into the country and the postage cost stays in country of origin, Aust. Post delivers them for free ( I think). I suppose in the old days it was sort of a balance, as many letters were sent out of the country as what were received. Here in Oz the Post Office is thinking about a $5 surcharge on each parcel when you pick it up. I often buy things from China worth less than $10 with free postage the $5 extra may make them have to stay in China.

Bryan1
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Bryan1

The local shop here is about 2K away and most of our mail and packages bought go there. We do have a P.O. box about 15K away and it's easy to stop as we go by it on our daily travels.

One thing that really bug's me is the time delay, it can take 2 months to get a package from China, 10 days to get a letter from Adelaide 60K away.

We used to call it snail mail but today the snail is faster than the postage and at times packages have never arrived, ( more likely stolen by postage sorters.)
Back to Top View Bryan1's Profile Search for other posts by Bryan1

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 June 2018 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

I was under the impression that australia post didnt actually do it for free, but there are international agreements between the various postal services that set the fees they can charge each other

Edited by Boppa on 13 June 2018 at 8:18pm
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

pcaffalldavis

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote pcaffalldavis

Here is an interesting article on International shipping, mostly about China to the USA but speaks to other destination countries too. I couldn't get the link to work, but copy and google the entire following line and you should find it.

The Postal Service is losing millions a year to help you buy cheap stuff from China

Very interesting indeed.

Peter in Hyder
Back to Top View pcaffalldavis's Profile Search for other posts by pcaffalldavis

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Clickable link to the above....

EDIT: Very interesting article, and quite correct.

Bit of a babble begins.....
I expect it is probably the same for NZ Post. I know it is a little late three pages into the thread, to say I kinda sympathise with NZ Post to SOME extent. All the banks over here have started emailing all their statements. That ALONE must have really hurt NZ Post, cos before the banks were doing that, they would have had MILLIONS of statements to deliver for all the banks, to everyone in the country with a bank account - and that would be pretty much the entire population. Even though NZ Post most likely gave the banks a very good bulk discount, it still would have cost the banks a lot of money to post out the monthly statements, whereas to email them, it is essentially free. So, you take all that mail off NZ Post, and all they are left with is a dribble of domestic letters and some courier stuff, and that alone is not enough to sustain all the post offices. So, I do sympathise with them, but still - in a town with more then 11,000 people, and they are STILL building houses like crazy here anywhere they can find some land so our population is growing not reducing, and yet they still have to close our post office - makes you think......

As to the cheap stuff from China, I think all of us here on the forums are guilty of buying from China. You simply can't fight the cost difference. Much as I would LOVE to support more local business, minimizing expenses is key to surviving in any kind of small business. Probably in big-business too, as their expenses would be proportionally bigger.

As an example, there is a PCB house here in New Zealand, and I have got boards from them, and they are very good boards. BUT they cost TEN TIMES the current price for the exact same board from China at the likes of PCB-GoGo who charge US$5 for ten double-sided PCB's up to 100mm x 100mm. How can any local PCB house compete with that?(rhetorical). So, much as I would love to support the NZ PCB house, it would put all my PCB costs up by a factor of ten at least, and that is just way too much to pay just to support the local house - so I don't.

The Government over here are looking at ways to stop people buying from eBay, AliExpress and Amazon etc, as the local businesses are suffering badly cos of the cheap mail-order stuff from China. We currently have a NZ$400 threshold before you have to pay import duty. So, if the value of the goods is less then NZ$400, there is NO GST/VAT/TAX to pay on the goods at all. Once you exceed that figure, 15% import duty applies. But it is easy to keep your order value below $400, and not pay any tax on it at all - and all that is perfectly legal, as that is the law here at the moment. The Government are wanting to change that so that ANYTHING you buy will have 15% GST added to it by the seller, and that is then passed to the Government. Not going down well with many over here, as you would expect. It remains to see if they ever do it. I also fully expect them to delete that $400 import threshold law any time soon for exactly the same reasons.
End of babble.

Edited by Grogster on 14 June 2018 at 8:00am

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Environment_and_Communications/Australia_Post_in_Austral ian_communities/Report/c08

A lengthy read, but shows a remarkably different story (I had to mail some parcels yesterday and yes, my 'post office' isnt actually an Ozzy post office, it's a 'licenced Post Office'franchise (who deal exclusively with australia post), who also are considering closing down or moving out of the shopping center!(I had a loverly chat with the lady at the counter as I went down at a quiet time)

The overseas post offices do have a charge given to them to Australia post, however these are contracted payments which apparently havent been even looked at in over 5 years, and China has a very nominal fee indeed, despite the huge increases in numbers in recent years. Worse for the licensed PO places like mine, Australia Posts payments to them havent changed since the last parliamentary review and they are (imho obscenely) low- Australia Post raised the fee they pay LPO's from 24 cents per parcel to 26c per parcel in 2014, and it remains at that to today, note that most courier companies charge in excess of $5 per parcel admin costs!

A lot of it seems to stem from the upper management/ ministerial levels, where they are often accused by the actual workers of still being locked into past perceptions of how the business runs and what it does (ie letters rather than parcels, management recently started looking for a new contract for smaller 'scooters' rather than the 75cc/125cc bikes they presently use for 'mail deliveries' totally ignoring that more than 3/4 of their deliveries are now parcels, and that they often are now running two separate delivery runs a day, one for letters and then another for parcels with a van!!!! Worse, smaller parcels are given to the bikes, which obviously have smaller carrying capabilities, and so the bikes have to return multiple times to the PO to 'refill' because they are carrying parcels instead of letters....

I can now see why so many LPO's are closing (note too that Australia Post actually have very few what they call corporate post offices left, as many of them were closed down and sold off to become LPO's by the Howard government quite some time ago as a cost cutting measure... (where I am, there are 5 LPOs in the area ie within 20km, basically one in each suburb, but the nearest actual corporate post office is over 25km away.. and is a sorting center with limited provision for actual 'street customers')
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

NZ SPECIFIC: with the $400 threshold removed, there would be 15% GST PLUS a $45 customs handling fee. along with many others, i would take great pleasure in ordering a slow supply of $1 items from ebay just to have an excuse to drop into customs out at the local airport EVERY day and tie up one of their staff for 15 minutes as i explain how i'm not going to accept the goods/pay the $45 fee.

i'm fine with paying the 15% GST, but there is just no practical way for NZ customs to collect it in a cost-effective way. attempting to push the problem onto overseas sellers will not be possible, and nz (as a whole) does risk being blocked from ebay.com and similar sites.

the whole GST arguement, i feel, is simply local retailers trying to block nz citizens from having access to overseas markets, aka 1980's style protectionism. but this is just my opinion.

regarding NZ post - i have a p.o box, so pay nzpost around $150/year. i reckon it is good value for money, and a service that nzpost should be actively encouraging other customers to have. perhaps we do need to move to a model where there is minimal to-the-gate local deliveries (perhaps just once-a-week), and everyone gets used to having a p.o box at a central location that has a small yearly fee.

cheers,
rob :-)

Edited by robert.rozee on 14 June 2018 at 11:28am
Back to Top View robert.rozee's Profile Search for other posts by robert.rozee

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Australia is introducing changes to it's GST threshold starting next month.
Businesses who do more than 75k of trade with Aust will have to pay GST (10%) on sales
Amazon have spat the dummy and will block Aust sales from their USA sites. Amazon do have an AU site but with limited items and inflated prices.
Ebay have said that they can handle it OK.

Grogster will have to pay our GST if he sells too many PCBs

One crazy idea the pollies had was to charge us, the purchaser, a flat fee , possibly $5, per parcel to compensate for GST losses and postal losses.
Considering a lot of my purchases are well below $5 all up, that would kill my purchasing. I am happy paying GST on the $1 value if I don't have to collect it for them.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote CircuitGizmos

In the U.S. There has been talk on and off about what it might take to 'fix' our postal system - save costs.

Some people have talked about dropping Saturday delivery, others have talked about every-other-day delivery. I could put up with things like that if they come to be.

But Mr. Rozee's suggestion of everyone getting a box at first didn't set well with me. My post office is 13 miles (that's 21 Celcius... wait.. wrong formula...) away. And I can only imagine the chaos there if boxes became mandatory.

But then I thought if technology were used to let me know what was in my box waiting for me, I could skip picking it up until I wanted to. And perhaps by default after a set time the contents would be delivered if I didn't pick it up.

Hmmm.

Paul_L
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Paul_L

This is another symptom of what Trump is going nuts about. After WWII a lot of treaties were slapped together to give a lot of nations which had been decimated a leg up which was absolutely appropriate at the time. The U.S. had been spared serious damage during the war whereas a LOT of other places had been trashed. The U.S. was in great shape because of the war production levels for six years. Now we're left with the subsidized shipping and postal rates from everywhere to the states.

Additionally, the airlines and shiplines figured out how to efficiently use containerized freight. You can pack a lot of PCBs in a freight container in China and split it up in LA or NY and it will cost less than $0.10 to move each PCB from China to NY.

I don't know what the answer is.

Paul in NY
Back to Top View Paul_L's Profile Search for other posts by Paul_L

MicroBlocks
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote MicroBlocks

The answer is to charge what it cost.
Especially for what comes out of other countries.

If something is shipped from China the cost should be for the Chinese post to deliver it to the port (air/sea) then add the cost for transport to the port of the receiving country and then add costs for the postal service of that country.

Now every country is subsidizing China by charging very minimal. And within China it is also subsidized.

Unfair trade causing a not level playing field which causes anything to go out of business except the Chinese.

Amazon is also using the postal service which is supported by tax money. In a way that is also a subsidy.

Real costs are not used hence the problems.
Adding import taxes is not going to help as it will be disproportional.
Just charge the real cost. Prices within a country are known. Make them profitable and use that as a starting point. So if a small package within for instance New Zealand cost $5, then just charge 5$.

With large shipments it is already that way. From source to port, port to port and port to destination are all separate costs. Which part of that cost is collected and paid for by the seller is part of the contract. Time for smaller packages/envelopes to follow that same model.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version