Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects         Section
Subject Topic: esp8266 basic Post ReplyPost New Topic
Page of 2 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RyanHammond

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 June 2018 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote RyanHammond

This may be of interest to folks here that have used esp8266 basic combined with the micromite for projects.

esp8266 basic revamp

Back to Top View RyanHammond's Profile Search for other posts by RyanHammond

palcal
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 18 June 2018 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote palcal

Seems like that is 'cicciocb' I remembered the avatar he was a member here but hasn't posted since Feb 2015.

CYBERLAB

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote CYBERLAB

Hello everyone, I was working on a design that included a micromite screen and a wifi module, I found this page https://micropython.org/ and I was surprised at how easy and economical the project came out using an esp8266 and a screen oled and micropython, I suggest you take a look when you have some free time.
Back to Top View CYBERLAB's Profile Search for other posts by CYBERLAB

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

quite like that micropython but a major hurdle (for me at least) is not being breadboard friendly.

Aimed at prototypers/makers this makes things so much easier. Pretty much everything starts out on a breadboard. Having to put jumpers on the board to connect it to a breadboard makes things a bit messy and increases the chances of inadvertent shorts or disconnects.

my 2p
Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

CYBERLAB

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote CYBERLAB

I used a node mcu and a Wi-Fi kit 32 for prototype of my project and I did not have any problem of false contacts with the breadboard, I had never used micropython, and the truth is I'm empirical when it came to programming it was so simple that in a week I had working my project, which had started a long time ago with a micromite and I could not finish it (because I'm not very good at programming)
Back to Top View CYBERLAB's Profile Search for other posts by CYBERLAB

rave

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote rave

I also used an ESP8266 and flashed Lua with Node MCU https://nodemcu-build.com/index.php.

The first flash attempt did not work. I figured I needed to erase the device first. So I wrote the following script on my Mac to simplify this process:

#!/bin/bash
# http://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/en/flash/
if [ "$#" == 0 ]
then
  echo "Usage: flash.sh firmware.bin"
  exit 1
fi
if [ ! -f "$1" ]
then
  echo "Cannot read $1"
  exit 1
fi
ESP8266USB=$(ls /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART)
if [ "$ESP8266USB" != "/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART" ]
then
  echo "ESP8266 USB not connected" 1>&2
  exit 1
fi
echo "To enable ESP8266 firmware flashing GPIO0 pin must be pulled low before the device is reset"
echo "Press ENTER to continue"
read
echo "Determining flash capacity:"
esptool.py --port $ESP8266USB flash_id
echo "Press ENTER to continue"
read
echo "Erasing flash:"
esptool.py --port $ESP8266USB erase_flash
echo "Flashing:"
esptool.py --port $ESP8266USB write_flash -fm qio 0x00000 $1
echo "OK"

I am disappointed with Lua on this device, because it's too small and the language has been compromised to remove features, such as floating point support and even bit operations and instead you'll have to use a bit-fiddling library which must be installed on top of all things. Installing just a few libraries breaks the build, because it just does not fit in 512MB. I needed TLS and it did not fit .

Also, I could not get any terminal program work properly with my ESP8266 except 'screen'. Even the instructions to use 'screen' are incorrect (resetting the device when connected kills it).

I haven't tried micropython, had anyone had luck with that to run a TLS server?

I would to see MMBASIC run on ESP8266

Do you agree or do you think it is not possible?

- Rob
Back to Top View rave's Profile Search for other posts by rave

plover

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote plover

CaptainBoing
I have had this model(s) in my brain for some time, and others too, I agree many or not really "breadboard" friendly, they are not "Legoish" enough. that aside, would you rough out on a back of an envelope what you think would be a nice little "breadboard converter board and I will DEX it up as part of my learning exercise in AutoTRAX for production no bigger than 100x100mm I would expect smaller.

rave

My understanding, which is rather minimal despite I think I have one of the models in a box here somewhere, of the EXP8266 range is that there is such a widespread range of implementations. You have alluded to that already.

I agree that MMBasic would be a very interesting exercise, and some initial ground work could be done by forum members those who have the interest, time and free of having to make a living as well (me included). Do we have enough knowledge to figure out if it is a sensible thing to put MMBasic on the device?

Thinking about The "monster" MMBasic implementation boards available, is that not and indication that for one the ESP8266 simply do not have enough memory?

Anyway where can we find the specsheet for the chips used and spechseet/manual for the ESP8266. I have done a quick search and did not find much.

If it has not already been done I would say we, the lesser smart ones, could do some initial research perhaps guided by Geoff/matherp as to what points we need to consider and perhaps procede under their guidance and see if we can make a decision.

There are enough smart ones here to help us fumblers out. Who know it could be a bit of fun too?
Back to Top View plover's Profile Search for other posts by plover

JohnS
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote JohnS

rave wrote:
I am disappointed with Lua on this device, because it's too small and the language has been compromised to remove features, such as floating point support and even bit operations and instead you'll have to use a bit-fiddling library which must be installed on top of all things. Installing just a few libraries breaks the build, because it just does not fit in 512MB. I needed TLS and it did not fit .

Maybe try a bigger build on the readily-available 1MB esp8266 boards?

John
Back to Top View JohnS's Profile Search for other posts by JohnS

JohnS
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote JohnS

plover wrote:
I agree that MMBasic would be a very interesting exercise, and some initial ground work could be done by forum members those who have the interest, time and free of having to make a living as well (me included). Do we have enough knowledge to figure out if it is a sensible thing to put MMBasic on the device?

Thinking about The "monster" MMBasic implementation boards available, is that not and indication that for one the ESP8266 simply do not have enough memory?

Anyway where can we find the specsheet for the chips used and spechseet/manual for the ESP8266. I have done a quick search and did not find much.

They have plenty of memory - commonly 1MB but earlier ones 512KB.

There are full SDKs, spec sheets, etc if you look but someone would need to spend plenty of time and effort to port MMBasic. It's not apparent who or whether there's any real point in yet another porting effort - what big advantage is there for all the effort?

If it were to involve Geoff or Peter then it reduces their time to do other things, of course.

John

Edited by JohnS on 12 July 2018 at 5:14pm
Back to Top View JohnS's Profile Search for other posts by JohnS

Geoffg
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Geoffg

It is just not possible to port the interpreter to everyone's favourite chip, there are just too many of them out there. Long ago I made the decision to focus on running MMBasic on a small number of chips and because of that I was able to ensure that it was done in the best way possible.

Also, you do have to ask why? For example, the ESP8266 and Micromite only cost a few dollars each and both together is not a complex circuit. Why try to squeeze the Micromite code into the ESP8266 with all the bugs and compromises that would entail? Leave the chips separate so that each can do what they are good at.
Back to Top View Geoffg's Profile Search for other posts by Geoffg Visit Geoffg's Homepage

rave

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:30am | IP Logged Quote rave

@plover thanks for chiming in!

plover wrote:

I have had this model(s) in my brain for some time, and others too, I agree many or not really "breadboard" friendly, they are not "Legoish" enough.

Agreed. The ones that are breadboard-friendly typically are 512K, for example the Feather ESP8266 from Adafruit, which has 9 GPIO pins, power and serial via USB, 100mA LiPoly charger and still relatively cheap at $17:

Given the trouble with this thing I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer ESP32 with 4MB flash, e.g. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3405 which is a $20 breadboard-friendly feather board or https://www.adafruit.com/product/3269 which is a $15 development board but looks too chunky for breadboard use IMO.

plover wrote:

My understanding, which is rather minimal despite I think I have one of the models in a box here somewhere, of the EXP8266 range is that there is such a widespread range of implementations. You have alluded to that already.

If it has not already been done I would say we, the lesser smart ones, could do some initial research perhaps guided by Geoff/matherp as to what points we need to consider and perhaps procede under their guidance and see if we can make a decision.

There are enough smart ones here to help us fumblers out. Who know it could be a bit of fun too?

Plenty of smart people on this forum who can pull this off! But I suspect the return on investing time on this might not be worth it. How large would the MMBASIC community grow, compared say to MicroPython and C coders using the ESP8266/ESP32?

- Rob
Back to Top View rave's Profile Search for other posts by rave

plover

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote plover

I have spent 2 hours plus on the internet and found some more details, and lucky enough to find some overview articles etc. Also a bit on the history.

I feel the development of the ESP8266 demonstrates what happens if you try to branch out. Where would MMBasic be if Geoff had tried to cover more chips.

There may be smart people here who could do the porting, but I think they are also smart enough to figure out that is a very big job, I would expect you need to be absolutely passionate to embark on the job. One important thing when you are done how long will there be support.

I will make some experimental layouts in DEX but only as educational objects. a form of bigger parts, like an ESP actually incorporated a a library part, quite good fun. I have some ideas in that direction.

Having WiFi on a MM is enticing but I don't know how much it involves but seems to open possibilities for simple BT/WiFi operation.

The reading I did indicated the Generation 1 had the very wide boards making bread boarding inconvenient, yes but also some peaople quickly figured out that two small boards interlocked or not could be spaced and having the ESP8266 span the gap. A sturdy basboard and a form of gleu to stick down the small boards forming a nice solid setup.

BUt then the later implementations has shrunk a lot so would you not buy those instead

Back to Top View plover's Profile Search for other posts by plover

Page of 2 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version