<< Prev Page of 3
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 October 2018 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

You should left click in the putty console screen, then F10, then right-click the console screen - I think this is what you meant but just checking.

What speed is the MM running at? It will need time to process the input and if you are throwing stuff at it at 115K with CPU 10 or some such combination it might struggle. I have tended to standardize on CPU 48 and 9600 baud on everything (old tricks I guess plus HC-12's like it for maximum range so it's just a nice figure), but the default of 38400 transfers perfectly. I don't use any flow control.

Also, what usb<-->serial adapter are you using? I use CH340G throughout (got fed up with inconsistencies in drivers of the FTDI & Prolific) and I find them pretty bomb-proof... even better at 99p a pop. But, I also transfer flawlessly as above on one of WW's 44Pin Mk2s (my main breadboard/dev MM) so whichever chip that uses is good too.

I must say that during the AUTOSAVE transfer, the console screen doesn't always reflect the transferred data (leading spaces are particularly truncated) but the transfer is good and listing afterwards shows it is faithful to the editor copy. I have never had any problems transferring this way except from the USB terminal app on my phone - but that it not a major route for me so I am ok with not being able to upload that way. It would be a novelty if it worked but I can live without it.

Edited by CaptainBoing on 14 October 2018 at 6:54am

Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

lizby
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote lizby

The Explore-64 has the USB built in--I had to install the driver which Geoff linked to, a "Silicon Chip USB Serial Port". If all else fails, I can use a CH340 usb/serial link to the console pins.

Yes, I'm doing it in the sequence you describe. Speed is unchanged from the E64 standard--120mHz. LIST shows that stuff is missing. I'll try a lower baud rate.

Edited by lizby on 14 October 2018 at 7:08am
Back to Top View lizby's Profile Search for other posts by lizby

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

There was problems with the builtin USB on recent firmware and W7 so an external USB converter is recommended.

MMBasic doesn't use handshaking so forget the XON/XOFF
Use the fastest baud rate you can handle. Going slower won't help.

Try putting a delay between lines. It needs time to digest each line.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

lizby
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote lizby

38400 with the Silicon Chip USB Serial Port didn't work, but when I used a ch340 usb/serial module with TX & RX connected to console, it does work. Thanks for sticking with me.

Jim--I missed hearing about problems with built-in USB and Win7. I've been on the verge of tearing my hair out. Sometimes MMEdit would work, and sometimes not, sometimes TeraTerm would work when MMEdit didn't, and sometimes not. Same with putty. Ok, I'm converted to the CH340 (which has become my favorite for other uses--glad I had some extras).

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

glad you got it working.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

There is a new version of the E64 that has an optional add-on USB daughter-board to handle the serial connection. Version 1D does not use the PIC32 USB connection.
The old E64(version 1C) won't be sold anymore.

lizby
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 12:30am | IP Logged Quote lizby

Just to note, with the Explore-64 at 120mHz, OPTION BAUDRATE 115200, and a CH340 usb/serial module, the Captain's Notepad++ method of ctrl-a, ctrl-c, switch to putty, F10, right-click, ctrl-z, RUN works with a 600+ line program.

This method also worked with a 50mHz MM-44 at 115200.

Nice to be able to do this at 115200.

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

happy to pass it on. Iregularly update a piec of code here that is 1300+ lines and have never seen a failure -BTW, I have found you don't need to wait for the upload to complete before pressing CTRL-Z... just speeds the process up a bit

When I see it written down like that it looks soooo convoluted but it execution it takes me about 2 or 3 secs to upload a new version of software to a mite (give or take on the program size).

There are some macro trinkets that can insert the required actions where you could actually assign this sequence to a single key (say F12) which would be nice but tbh I don't find it keyboard mangling enough to research it.

Edited by CaptainBoing on 18 October 2018 at 12:40am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 3
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version