Home  |  Contents 

Microcontroller and PC projects
  Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects         Section
Subject Topic: The PC I never thought I would build.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Page of 3 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grogster
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 August 2018 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

So, here I am, freshly logged into the forums using Windoze 10 Home.

I am using one of those new Intel NUC things - they are very dinky being only about 100 x 100, but some of them are very powerful. The one I have is a quad-core Pentium Silver @ 2.8GHz. LINK.

I have 16GB of RAM running on this thing, despite the specs saying you can only run 8GB. Several YT videos have also run 16GB no problems.

Having activated and settled down about six million things that W10 wants to do in the background, I am quite happy with this machine. I know I have rained on W10 before, but with modern hardware, it seems OK. Especially once you turn off all the telemetry and setup so that speed is king, and not the eye-candy.

Weather this is a mistake or not, remains to be seen, but.....on we go.

Back to Top View Grogster's Profile Search for other posts by Grogster Visit Grogster's Homepage

VK2MCT

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote VK2MCT

What have you used for a SSD/HDD.
John
Back to Top View VK2MCT's Profile Search for other posts by VK2MCT

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 05 August 2018 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I used a 240GB Apacer SSD.

Phil23
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Phil23

Grogster wrote:
Especially once you turn off all the telemetry and setup so that speed is king, and not the eye-candy.

That would make a very popular thread!

Quote:
Weather this is a mistake or not, remains to be seen, but.....on we go.

Using a couple on remote client sites; Sort of live job status screens.
Win7 on i5's they are.

They have been painless & trouble free.

Am a little surprised they haven't added an M.2 SSD interface; Guess that will come in the future.

Cheers

Phil.
Back to Top View Phil23's Profile Search for other posts by Phil23

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Yes, the You Tube videos I watched on this box did also mention the lack of an M.2 slot, which they thought would make the device fantastic. Oh well. I'm not bothered. A standard SSD of any kind of brand name will work well. This PC is much faster then my other one, and it also has two screens, which is a novelty for me.

I got so sick of trying to design PCB's while flicking back and forth to the PDF files, so now I can keep the PDF files up on one scree, while I design on the other one. Dual screens have been just about standard for years now, but I am slow to take up things like that.

As to turning things off on W10, a couple of the mandatory things for me was to:

- Install Classic Shell to replace the tiled W10 start menu, which is like a hybrid of the W8 Metro start screen, and a normal start menu. This gives you back a much more standard start menu - so you can find things.

- Turn off all visual effects. CONTROL PANEL/ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS/PERFORMANCE/ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE. This turns off all the GUI annimations etc. The speed you get back is worth it IMHO. This is not for everyone, but I like my PC to just do the work, and I care more about speed then eye-candy.

- While in there, click on START-UP AND RECOVERY, and UNCHECK 'Automatically Restart'. This will stop W10 from rebooting when it gets a BSOD. It is more helpful to have the BSOD error code, cos then you can at least research the code. Auto-restart means you never get to see the BSOD so have no idea what the problem might be.

- If you are on a laptop, DISABLE the power-saving on the WiFi connection. It's a nice idea, but when it turns off the WiFi, often the Internet connection is dropped and many people don't know how to get it back again.

- Install and periodically use SHUT UP 10 to disable all the recommended settings, including the three telemetry settings. These will often be silently re-enabled after W10 does any kind of update, so you need to re-run Shut Up 10 after any update.

I'm sure I will think of others, but those are the mandatory ones.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Well, it begins....

I changed the password on one of my other machines on the LAN, now ALL but one machine are no longer visable on the network, including the one I changed the password on.

Why the hell would Windoze totally hide several other machines that I could see fine before, when I change the password on one of the other machines?

I changed the root password on one of my Linux boxes, now W10 will only talk to one of about six different machines I have on the LAN - all the others are not even visable anymore.

Rebooted several times, not helping. Has anyone seen this before? It was all going so well up till this point.....

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

OK, update - Powered down the Linux box I changed the password on, and rebooted the others, and now W10 sees the others fine.

I.....don't......get it.....

However, the LAN obviously did not like what I did. I have a feeling I have corrupted that Linux box now(Puppy Linux), so I think I will take the chance to upgrade that puppy to the latest version anyway.

Phil23
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Phil23

That's sounding horribly like the Master Browser issue that can exist on Workgroups.

PC's get together & "Elect" a Master?

How fool proof can that be!!!!

I can just see an engineering PC voting for the one in Accounts, because it's got nice blue lights..
Back to Top View Phil23's Profile Search for other posts by Phil23

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Do you know how to reset that or FORCE a certain machine to be the master browser then? I will google this.....

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Interesting thing, this 'Master Browser' thing....

Mr. Google has revealed that LOTS AND LOTS of people have this exact issue - where boxes that WERE visable on the LAN, now are not, cos they changed something on one of them.

Bill.....dear oh dear.

However, one page recommended simply mapping a drive letter to the machine's shared drive, and I tried that with the backup server, and that worked just fine. I could map a drive letter to one of the drives in the backup server, by just stating it's network location, and clicking OK - despite Windows Network not showing it being there at all, and no amount of refreshing of the network would show the backup server....

Sigh.

EDIT: Puppy box is still totally invisible to Windows, even if I try to map to it. I think I will reinstall Puppy and update to the latest version at the same time. I will keep the USB flash drive that the current one is on, so I can switch back to it later if I think of something else to try.

Edited by Grogster on 07 August 2018 at 8:55am

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Azure

Good idea, if you want data from the current drive (which you are not updating) you can just mount it on the updated setup.
Back to Top View Azure's Profile Search for other posts by Azure

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Hi all. :)

Just a little update for you:

Clean install Slacko-64 6.3.2.
Configure network IP address to static.
Mount partitions
Terminal: smbpasswd -a root and proceed.
Terminal: passwd root and proceed.
Exit terminal.
Reboot.

Windoze still refuses to talk to the box via networking(is still totally invisible), but I can connect to the location using the IP address of the Puppy box, the share-name, and entering in the Samba password, and Windoze linked to it easily then.

I found that information in a very useful page here.

It would seem that Windows 10 is a little touchy with Samba shares.....

Page of 3 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version