Home  |  Contents 

Microcontroller and PC projects
  Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects         Section
Subject Topic: The PC I never thought I would build.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 2
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JackRabbit

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 August 2018 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote JackRabbit

I'm interested in running PC's 24x7 for data collection and gave W10 a solid try but finally dumped it.

You can tame the W10 MS forced re-boots after the MS forced updates by using Group Policy to set active hours and then turn off "auto-restart for updates during active hours" and "no auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations." to give you control over when it re-boots.

If you have Home the Group Policy Editor is disabled by default but can be enabled easily.

Back to Top View JackRabbit's Profile Search for other posts by JackRabbit

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I am using W10 Home x64.

WhiteWizzard
Guru
Guru

Posted: 11 August 2018 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote WhiteWizzard

Grogster wrote:
I used a 240GB Apacer SSD.

Hi G,

If you haven't done so already, I would strongly advise 'tweaking' Windows for use with an SSD.

Literally spent the last 24hours building a replacement Windows Development box due to my 'old' SSD failing spectacularly. I hadn't fully set Windows to minimise write cycles to the SSD so within 3yrs my SSD was virtually 'killed'.

Speed, quietness, and reduced temp were the initial reasons I installed it. Sounds like you have a great machine there after all your earlier rants about W10

Direct Email: WhiteWizzard@MicroMite.org
Back to Top View WhiteWizzard's Profile Search for other posts by WhiteWizzard Visit WhiteWizzard's Homepage

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 11 August 2018 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I fully expected that W10 would already be fully SSD-aware, and would configure itself to make best use of an SSD without my needing to configure it as such - I will now investigate this a little more. All parts were brand new, including the SSD, so it has not been stressed much - yet - so I will take a deeper look at this.

My W10 rants were just that - rants. To be fair to W10 retrospectively, perhaps I was being a LITTLE unfair, as on any NEW hardware, I have found W10 runs great. Even better when you install things like Classic Shell and turn off all the eye candy as mentioned in page one of this thread. It is easily as fast and stable as my old W8 box was.

However, the same CANNOT be said of many machines I had to try to fix up for clients, who had had their W7 or W8 auto-updated to W10, either by choice or not, as it would seem many, many of the slightly older machines just could not really cope with W10, and it turned those previously OK machines, back in to W95 machines speed wise!

Like, many laptops that updated only had 2GB of RAM and a 5400RPM HDD in them. They ran W7 OK, albeit a little slowly. But put W10 on those machines, and they were like snails speed wise - REALLY bad performers.

Anyway, it is fabulous to see you back on the forums WW. I hope everything is OK with you.

This page shows some useful tools, so I have applied most of those that W10 would let me do.

Edited by Grogster on 11 August 2018 at 9:41am

PeterB

Posted: 11 August 2018 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote PeterB

As I said before, Grogster, you do come up with some lulus.

Peter
Back to Top View PeterB's Profile Search for other posts by PeterB

BrianP

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote BrianP

Hi Grogs

Haven't posted for a while - still doing rehab after a forced hip replacement. I couldn't resist after seeing you weakening with Win 10!

One thing you might like to do if you are running Win 10 v.1709 or later (use "Winver" to check) is go to "Network & Internet" in settings & in "Change Connection Properties" set your current connection to a "Metered Connection". This supposedly stops downloads of any large updates (other than "critical") & may be quite useful as you have the Home version of Win 10 & are a "Microsoft plaything" when it comes to forced updates.

The above works for both WiFi & Ethernet network connections & I've found it very useful on mission critical machines that you don't want interrupted.

You can still manually tell it to "download anyway" after you've taken a deep breath & plucked up enough courage.

Another thing - some Win 10 machines seem to have System Restore turned off by default - either after a new install or major update. It's worth checking this as not having a "go back" can bite you in very uncomfortable places.

Good luck with Win 10!

Brian P.
Back to Top View BrianP's Profile Search for other posts by BrianP

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 2
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version