Home  |  Contents 

Microcontroller and PC projects
  Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects         Section
Subject Topic: The PC I never thought I would build.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 3
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ryanm

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 August 2018 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote ryanm

Interesting on the Intel drives. Never had that many of them, more of a Samsung guy really so I must have got lucky.

Haven't had any trouble yet on the Crucial MX500s either and they've got quite good bang/buck performance. Only started using recently though...

Back to Top View ryanm's Profile Search for other posts by ryanm

MicroBlocks
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote MicroBlocks

Grogster wrote:
Where do I find them, MB?

The program is called 'Event viewer' :)

Available since windows XP i think.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 August 2018 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Intel drives have served me well when I have used them, but then there are so many more manufacturers of SSD's then there are HDD's. I think you are REASONABLY safe buying any respectable brand-name drive. I would avoid the cheap SSD's on eBay etc like the plague.

@ MB - thanks.

Volhout

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote Volhout

Grogster wrote:
Hi all. :)

Just a little update for you:

Clean install Slacko-64 6.3.2.
Configure network IP address to static.
Mount partitions
Terminal: smbpasswd -a root and proceed.
Terminal: passwd root and proceed.
Exit terminal.
Reboot.

Windoze still refuses to talk to the box via networking(is still totally invisible), but I can connect to the location using the IP address of the Puppy box, the share-name, and entering in the Samba password, and Windoze linked to it easily then.

I found that information in a very useful page here.

It would seem that Windows 10 is a little touchy with Samba shares.....

Hi Grogster,

Puppy Linux Slacko 6.3.2 is not very well maintained anymore (01Micko is only assisting in the background), and might as well use older security libraries. That may impact it's accessibility through the network. W10 will simply refuse to talk to it. You could post on the forum (murgalinux.com)
If Puppy Linux offers no solution, simple put Lubuntu on it. The 1804 is still LXDE (lightweight) and rock stable.

Volhout
There may be some more modern Puppy versions available

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 August 2018 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Hey there.

Windoze now sees the Puppy box and it's volumes fine. It took a couple of days of my just simply ignoring the fact that W10 could not see them, then they all appeared in the network again. I guess Bill was doing some background network sniffing during that time. I can access the Puppy box any time I want now, no problems.

Thanks for the comments on Slacko. I will check out Lubuntu - never heard of it.
I like Slacko cos it has GUI utilities for networking and SAMBA setup, and I don't have to research and learn a whole lot of terminal commands.

Volhout

Posted: 22 August 2018 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Volhout

I have been using Puppy Linux for at lease 10 years now, started with the 2.14 series, had the 5.28 as my daily workhorse for my company for about 3 years (running the administration).

Puppy Linux always was a compact, quite complete, linux distro. A bit of everything, but nothing complete. The main pro was that it had a very active community.
But the founder (Barry Kauler) stopped leading the project, and the most senior developpers have not been able to fill that gap. There are a lot of enthousiastic programmers running nice projects in Puppy Linux, but I see no one really coordinating stuff so this energy also leads to a release that can be used as windows replacement. If you find a puppy that works : fine, use it, enjoy it, you will get help from the community, but there is absolutely no guarantee that it will be maintained.

There is still a lot of good work going on there, but for a large amount it is "hobby projects" and "new kernel for XXXX puppy" changes.
As I see it Puppy Community will have trouble following the mainstream linux development (GTK3 / Wayland / QT5 / systemd).
That is another thing that is a drawback for puppy. It used to be small (100meg), but with the current HW platforms, you need a lot of "firmware" to support all these chips (i.e. WIFI chips). The firmware librabries contribute to the size, as does systemd.
So current puppies have similar functionality, but are 300 Mbytes in size.

I am running Puppy Slacko 5.7.0 on one of my laptops (simply because it has good driver match), Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 on my old desktop (SIG graphics card not supported in newer kernels), but both these cannot even access google drive anymore (old security libraries). For web access I installed Lubuntu (Lightweight Ubuntu) on the PC's. Lubuntu is constantly updated with security fixes. You will have to install Samba though, it is not available in the install iso.

Enjoy,

Volhout

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 August 2018 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Howdy.

Nice info, thanks. I was kinda wanting to use Woof or Woof-CE to build a new version of Puppy that only has a bare minimum GUI, and all the networking tools. Nothing else.

I am researching this now, but many links seem to be broken.

I do like Slacko. It is simple, easy to use, and easy to configure SAMBA for sharing on a Windoze network. It also seems to be very stable when used like this. I can run Slacko-64 for MONTHS on end, and never have any issues at all.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 3
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version