<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
azhaque

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 October 2018 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote azhaque

bigmik wrote:
hi azhaque,

looks great.. Err except some of your wiring looks a bit `how you do it'.

I hope the HV and LV wiring is separated and not all in that ducting.

Comments (critical but only on a constructive intent)

Ducting is too narrow (looks like 25mm)
Ducting looks like it is mounted at angles in places and too many cables inside.
Some wiring on your batteries from `GND' pass through the `12V' wires at the terminal (keep these in neat runs apart from each other)
The wiring to the current sensor could be cleaned up so there is no chance of shorting (not that it would cause an issue if it did) maybe mount the sense PCB 180 degrees rotated.

I am rather jealous of your setup but IMHO it doesn't look as good as it deserves to.

Please take those comments as I intend them .. I am not CRITICISING just pointing out some simple things to make it a better project over all.

Anyway we are all hobbyists keep up the good work.

Kind Regards,

Mick

Hello Mick,

Your observations are true to the hilt. In fact I had planned to redo all the wiring when I was installing the second set of CCs. However as they say "Too many chiefs, too few braves". This quote fits me to the hilt. I gotta look after the electrical system including the backup diesel generator, manage the water system and even get the anti-rodent pellets from Islamabad which is an hour's drive from my farmhouse. This is not all. I do a public sector job that is quite demanding.

In short I haven't got my act together.

I read somewhere on this forum that you retired.I am also looking forward to that even in about 8 months from now. Hopefully I'll have more time to deal with the to-do list then.

Kind regards

azhaque

Back to Top View azhaque's Profile Search for other posts by azhaque

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote bigmik

Hi azhaque,

Yes I have been retired one week now, it still hasn't quite set in that I don't need to rise for work every morning.. the body clock still wakes me around 5:30-6:00am.

Of course I realise I was talking from an Australian perspective where things are probably a lot easier to source and you, being in Pakistan, may not have all of the resources readily at hand. As well as your work load sounds like it is a miracle that you have got done what you have with all of your work load..

Anyway I am sure your day will come where retirement leaves you the time to do what you want for a change..

All good.. I was just making an observation or 5.. I have 26 x 190w panels on my roof and also grid connected.. I would one day like to add to the system and have some battery storage to go completely off grid, but I doubt I would ever get there.. Maybe a Tesla battery bank or two is not out of the question though.

But while I am still getting 68c per kw I feed INTO the grid I wont consider anything like storage.. That arrangement ceases for me in 2024.. So I have a lot of reading to do on the subject between now and then.

Kind Regards,

Mick

Back to Top View bigmik's Profile Search for other posts by bigmik

Paul_L
Guru
Guru

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Paul_L

68c per KWH!!!! Yikes!

We buy power from the local utility for 16c per KWH and they buy it from those of us who have solar panels for 4c per KWH. Our local utility (Central Hudson Power and Light) charges a relatively high price. Hydro-electric based utilities like Niagara Mohawk or Tennessee Valley sell power for as little as 3c per KWH.

Paul in NY
Back to Top View Paul_L's Profile Search for other posts by Paul_L

azhaque

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote azhaque

Paul_L wrote:
68c per KWH!!!! Yikes!

Paul in NY

Hi Paul,

I think he meant Australian cents

PROGRESS

I got the interconnections wired up today. I thought wiring using Dupont connectors would be easy. It turned out to be a nightmare, particularly because I don't have the crimping tool. I was using a long nosed plier to crimp. Took me half the morning to learn the trick. Then it was easier. Pic below

Now to locate the network wire (I know I have it lying around somewhere). Then connecting it to the CC.

Yes. And I will also need to create a small Home Network on the computer.

Regards all round

azhaque

Edited by azhaque on 11 October 2018 at 7:02pm

Paul_L
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote Paul_L

$0.68 AU today equals $0.48 US. That's still ridiculously high.

Paul in NY

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote bigmik

GDay Paul,

Paul_L wrote:
68c per KWH!!!! Yikes!

Whilst it does SOUND a lot consider that with my (newly renegotiated) contract I buy PEAK (7am-11pm) Electricity for about 36c inc tax and OFF PEAK at around 19c. It is NOT cheap for electricity over here compared to your messily 16c.

When we bought our SOLAR in 2010 (JAN) the government was in a bind.. They couldnít afford to buy another power plant so they thought it would be cheaper to pay a PREMIUM for Solar feed ins .. that rate (actually 66c plus my power company adds 2c) is guaranteed until 2024. Also bear in mind I paid $17500 up front for the setup.. Not cheap.. Mortgage redraw to buy it..

Today we get 8c or 11c feed in for new solar and the rates for us are the same as mine or worse depending on your supplier. But NEW setups of my size (5kw) cost as little as $4500 and the new scheme is the government will pay for half of it..

But that is in Victoria.. Other states have different pricing schemes.

Once my 68c drops to the petty 8c I will NOT want to feed any back into the system I will want to store every drop so setups like the one Azhaque has will be very much what I will be looking for.. But I will most likely still need to be grid connected so maybe a couple of Tesla battery banks will be the way to go.

Regards,
Mick

EDIT**.
Retirement sucks.. I wake up at 5:30 every morning and my brain still thinks I need to leap out of bed to get ready for work... After I wake fully and realise I donít need to do that anymore its too late to get back to sleep so I think about what the blokes are doing at work that day..

Damn I need to sand and oil the new deck today... Should have been at work.
Mik

Edited by bigmik on 13 October 2018 at 9:23am

lizby

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote lizby

bigmik wrote:
Retirement sucks..

You haven't yet learned how to do it.

bigmik wrote:
... so I think about what the blokes are doing at work that day

That's just WRONG! Get ahold of yourself, man.

Edited by lizby on 13 October 2018 at 10:00am
Back to Top View lizby's Profile Search for other posts by lizby

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote bigmik

lizby wrote:
bigmik wrote:
Retirement sucks..

You haven't yet learned how to do it.

bigmik wrote:
... so I think about what the blokes are doing at work that day

That's just WRONG! Get ahold of yourself, man.

@Lizby,

No I havenít yet learned how to do it properly.. There is still mucking around accessing my superannuation.. damn paperwork ... I may have to self fund for 4-6 weeks..

Anyone want to buy some PCBs?? >>> GRIN <<< just kidding..

Might have to cut down on on the WAGYU steak and go for the ANGUS Scotch fillet instead.. Ha..
No retirement doesnít REALLY suck.. just after 33 years of a job that was more of a life style than a job it hard to punch the OFF switch..
I used to see my Missus about 4 -6 hrs a day now I see her 24 hrs a day.. That is NOT an easy adjustment... just kidding she is a wonderful woman..

Buff said Sorry to steal this thread from Azahaque.

Mik

azhaque

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote azhaque

bigmik wrote:
lizby wrote:
[QUOTE=bigmik]Retirement sucks..

Buff said Sorry to steal this thread from Azahaque.

Mik

Absolutely fun as I have to face this in about 8 months. Besides I have nothing to report on the project.

Pakistan's power system is in proper mess. This creates an opportunity for increasing proliferation of solar. NEPRA (our national electricity regulatory authority) has recently allowed Net Metering, which is our name for distributed domestic generation systems like Mik has. However because of the circular debt issues in the power sector the utilities are unable to get full benefit of Net Metering. Just waiting and watching.

azhaque

palcal
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote palcal

Take it from me Mik it won't be long before you wonder where you ever got the time to go to work. I've been retired 8 years and always have something to do.
Paul.

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

I got married after I/we retired. No time to before retirement.
It filled in a bit of time.

That was 12 years ago.
Still retired and still married.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

Paul_L
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Paul_L

You guys are a bunch of amateurs. I've been retired for 27 years now. It took a little adjusting for a few months but that was because it happened suddenly when Pan Am went bankrupt. It gets easier as time goes by.

Batteries, of any kind, are not efficient energy storage gadgets. They waste a lot of power by getting hot, both on charge and discharge.

Pumped storage is much more efficient. All you need is a mountain and a valley.

They're thinking about it in Tasmania,

https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2018/08/hydro-tasmania-eyes-pumped-hydro-to-shore-up-renewables.html

and for the Hoover Dam.

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/3-billion-plan-Hoover-Dam-giant-battery-Garcetti-13112087.php#photo-14251193

The US has 10 pumped storage plants each over 1 GW with a total capacity of 14.764 GW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pumped-storage_hydroelectric_power_stations

But, if you don't have a mountain nearby that nobody's using it is a little impractical.

Paul in NY

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version