<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Geoffg
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 October 2018 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Geoffg

You were lucky that the setup for the 8" display worked.

While it looks like all the various LCD panels are similar (ie, 1965 controller, 800x480 pixels, etc) there can be large variations between different manufacturers - even for panels of the same size. MMBasic loads into the graphics controller chip over a dozen different parameters to suit each LCD assembly (called the "glass" in the industry). This includes things like clock speed, pulse widths, clock sequence, etc.

Fortunately the Chinese seems to have standardised the parameters for the 4.3", 5" and 7" sized glass so you would be unlucky to get one of these that did not work with the Micromite. But the same is not true for displays based on 8" and larger glass, so you can count yourself lucky.

I did consider making all these parameters configurable but it was not feasible. They all interact with each other and given that the Chinese rarely publish detailed specs it is more of a tedious guessing game to get the right setup for any particular display. Not something for the faint hearted.

Geoff

Edited by Geoffg on 06 October 2018 at 6:41pm

Back to Top View Geoffg's Profile Search for other posts by Geoffg Visit Geoffg's Homepage

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 06 October 2018 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Well then, based on that, I think panky has earned a beer.

He's taken the plunge, and found it works, which proves that those 9" ones from EastRising(buydisplay.com) should therefore work on any MM+ if they work OK for him on one. The code to control them is probably exactly the same across all models, so if they work on the MM+, they should work on all the other advanced MM chips.

False logic?

WhiteWizzard
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 2:27am | IP Logged Quote WhiteWizzard

@Grogster

Any chance of an adapter PCB? It is on my long to-do list.

I hard wired several 8" TFTs and it is a right PITA! A PCB would be a massive benefit for many people here.

Two 40pin headers; one either end of the PCB, then TFT is effectively 180deg rotated (no problem with L/RL and P/RP parameters in the OPTION LCDPANEL setting). Will only add a slight thickness to the 'sandwich'.

Email me if you need more info!

WW

Edited by WhiteWizzard on 07 October 2018 at 2:28am

Direct Email: WhiteWizzard@MicroMite.org
Back to Top View WhiteWizzard's Profile Search for other posts by WhiteWizzard Visit WhiteWizzard's Homepage

Geoffg
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Geoffg

Yes, I could use a couple of them also.
Back to Top View Geoffg's Profile Search for other posts by Geoffg Visit Geoffg's Homepage

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I would, but panky said he was going to do one - perhaps he will share his design?
Otherwise, I can whip one up no problems. I might do one anyway, cos if I get one of those 9" LCD's to play with, I will need an adaptor like that, so I either get one of panky's ones, or I produce my own one.....

EDIT: @ Geoff or Peter - Could you guys ever make use of the font chip that is an optional extra on the BuyDisplay boards? If you could, or thought you might one day, I could design an adaptor PCB that covers JP1, JP2 and JP3 and remaps all those to the E100 40-pin GPIO port.

JP1 gives access to a W25Q128JV flash chip - which I think matherp has already written drivers for, and also one of four types of font chip, those being ER3300, ER3301, ER3303 and ER3304. I am having a wee look at the datasheets for these now. While the font chip may not be something that can be used, perhaps it would still be useful to have access to the optional flash memory IC, yes?

EDIT: ER3304 is probably the font chip to go for if any. It contains 14 ASCII fonts. The font chip idea might be a moot point, as the MM has the ability to load whatever font you want via DefineFont. Have I just answered my own question? (rhetorical)

Edited by Grogster on 07 October 2018 at 9:57am

panky
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote panky

Don't go rushing out to order one yet! While it ran all yesterday afternoon without a hitch, coming into the shed this morning and the display is corrupted. Not sure why yet but I did move the "rat's nest" of interconnect wires. Display does not seem to initialise properly at the moment.

Am going to wire wrap up an interface board as an interim to continue the testing.

Will keep all advised.

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Too late.
I ordered mine a couple of hours ago to beat the rush.
Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I THINK you are still safe to order them, but I await panky's follow-up with anticipation.

I suspect that the LCD and MM are fine, and it's just you disturbed one of the critical data lines or something to the display. All control lines and the data bus have to be intact for the display to work correctly, as you probably know. Disturbing bit-4 or something like the DC/RS line will cause all kinds of merry hell with the display.

Hope you get it sorted.

EDIT: Damn, Jim, that puppy is so cute!

Edited by Grogster on 07 October 2018 at 1:32pm

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Grogster wrote:

EDIT: Damn, Jim, that puppy is so cute!

Maybe we should delay the desexing scheduled for next week and sell you a few offspring.
That would pay for a lot of LCD panels.

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

panky
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote panky

Relax Jim, all is good.

Talk about trials and tribulations!!!

Decided to wire wrap up a little interface board and after screwing up the wiring twice, finally got that correct. Still problematic - Oh woe, don't tell me I smoked the LCL with the dodgy wiring.

Decided to put a scope onto the pins to check activity and found D5 had hardly any signal. Traced back to a dodgy solder joint on the PIC32 on pin 3. Fixed that, re-connected everything and all is up and running fine again. Whew!!!!!!

Just goes to show that when Mr. Murphy has you down, he is not afraid to put the boot in.

I guess the temp changes overnight affected the solder joint on the PIC and then I compounded that by suspecting and moving the rat's nest.

All's well that ends well!

WhiteWizzard
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote WhiteWizzard

Hi Doug,

Glad you fixed it all!

With that exact 9" panel you have there, what are the viewing angles like (horizontally and vertically)? From your photo it looks like a good quality frontal image.

The 8" panels I use from BuyDisplay are really nice - I think mainly due to a good 'even' backlight illumination. I wanted to step up to the 9" panels but suspected that the image would not be quite as nice so it would be great to hear your opinion of the display quality.

WW

Edited by WhiteWizzard on 07 October 2018 at 7:28pm

Direct Email: WhiteWizzard@MicroMite.org
Back to Top View WhiteWizzard's Profile Search for other posts by WhiteWizzard Visit WhiteWizzard's Homepage

panky
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote panky

WW,

It looks bright and sharp at +/- 45 degrees horiz and vert. Horiz, I reckon it's still good out to 60 degrees or more.

My vision is not so good now but I can read font 2 text at about 2 metres.

This is with 5V LED power - it may be not so bright on 3V3 power - just don't know this.

Comparitively, it seems at least as bright and sharp as my 7" if not better.

At viewing distance of about half a metre, I still can't make out individual pixels (have to get really close to see them).

panky

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version