<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grogster
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 October 2018 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

No, I have not bothered with DB8-DB15, as it is not on the E100 pinout, which is what I am basing this board on. The board is only designed to allow you to connect an E100 to the EastRising TFT. There is no allowance(at the moment), to allow it to plug into anything other then the E100, as a direct plug-in adaptor so you can put an 8" or 9" LCD module from EastRising on the E100 - just as panky did.

CS for the flash, touch and SD are remapped to the MM 40-pin header, so not sure what you mean by that last part. On an E100, the touch, SD card and flash are all on the same SPI bus from what I recall, each with it's own CS line - might be wrong, will double-check.

I do hear you on keeping the touch and SD SPI separate, so I will make changes there, and let the host board link things together as it does now. This will mean that the SD card and Flash connections will be separated as you suggest.

Back to Top View Grogster's Profile Search for other posts by Grogster Visit Grogster's Homepage

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Azure

Just thought it might be worth putting the MM+ Exp100 pin numbers and mapped function on the silkscreen somewhere (I know you mentioned you were still working on the silkscreen).

That would make it easy to know what display pin/function goes to what MM+ Exp100 pin down the track.
Back to Top View Azure's Profile Search for other posts by Azure

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

On the Explore64 and 100, the SDcard and Touch both use SPI2.
You could wire the flash to use SPI2 as well but having the pins separate would allow users to use SPI1 instead, making life a bit easier.

SD and Touch are happy together because they are in the firmware. It's when you use Basic or a CFUNCTION to talk to the flash that timing might get tricky.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

matherp
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote matherp

Quote:
No, I have not bothered with DB8-DB15, as it is not on the E100 pinout, which is what I am basing this board on.

Please wire them, please
Back to Top View matherp's Profile Search for other posts by matherp

panky
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote panky

G,

Happy for you to go with the adaptor board - when they arrive, please put me down for two.

Re TE, I have used it as the T_IRQ signal on the E100. It works, but I should test using T_BUSY instead as the IRQ line.
Will try to get to it tomorrow or next day.

panky.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

@ Jim - Yep, understood. I will separate them out.

@ panky - thanks. Please post here with your results. I am currently using pin 38 on the ER display, labelled as RTP PEN_VCC and says it is the pen interrupt, which sounds the most like the touch IRQ. What made you use TE as the touch interrupt? 'Tearing effect' had me bamboozled....

@ matherp - Okey dokey, I will.

EDIT: Flash-and-font connector now routes to solder pads instead of anywhere on the MM connector end of things, in order to keep the SPI's separate.

Edited by Grogster on 09 October 2018 at 7:53pm

Geoffg
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Geoffg

Without going through the EastRising data sheets I doubt that it would be worth supporting the font chip. I understand that it is just a flash memory on a SPI bus. SPI would be too slow so the font would have to be copied from the chip to the Micromite's memory. Which is exactly the same as loading the font via a BASIC program into the Library - so no advantage.

But, as a "free" flash memory chip it might be worth supporting for saving data, something that should be doable in a CFunction.

Put me down for two of them thanks Grogs.

Geoff
Back to Top View Geoffg's Profile Search for other posts by Geoffg Visit Geoffg's Homepage

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

OK, chums, here we are:

This has both the SD card and touch SPI buses on their own pins as per the standard pinout for the 5" and 7" LCD's This is still E100 compatible, as the E100 joins those two SPI devices together into one bus, but for other applications where you need them separate - as mentioned by Jim, this has now been done.

16-bit data bus for the LCD data. I have yet to triple-check that everything is correct.

@ Geoff - OK, thanks for that info on the font chip, and so therefore, this connector is probably only good for the general purpose flash chip(if fitted). By default, the font chip and the memory chip are NOT fitted, unless you ask for them. As this is not catered for on the standard 40-pin connector from the MM, I have broken it out to some pads so you could solder your own wires on if you needed to talk to the memory chip....if you elected to have it installed.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Azure wrote:
Just thought it might be worth putting the MM+ Exp100 pin numbers and mapped function on the silkscreen somewhere (I know you mentioned you were still working on the silkscreen).

That would make it easy to know what display pin/function goes to what MM+ Exp100 pin down the track.

I'm just trying to work out what you mean here. Could you please elaborate a little?

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I've just had a wee look around on the ER website, and this adaptor PCB will actually work with their 7", 8" and 9" displays - they use a standard(for them!) pinout on all their larger displays.

It will not fit the 5" LCD, but I am thinking of making one for it(which can probably cater to the 4" ones too), as the ER displays are on average six or seven bucks cheaper then the eBay or AliExpress ones, and ER guarantee supply of their LCD's for at least ten years(which means we can design with confidence).

WhiteWizzard
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote WhiteWizzard

. . . . and ER also have consistent quality - I have only used them for all MM SSD TFTs.

What I often wondered is whether or not it is worth doing a SSD PCB so we just need the Panel. Haven't costed it up, but their panels are nice (well the 7" and 8" I can vouch for!).

Also wanted to get one of their 2.8" TFTs to see what the backlight and viewing angle are like. eBay is too various in quality.

WW

Edited by WhiteWizzard on 09 October 2018 at 9:41pm

Direct Email: WhiteWizzard@MicroMite.org
Back to Top View WhiteWizzard's Profile Search for other posts by WhiteWizzard Visit WhiteWizzard's Homepage

palcal
Guru
Guru

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote palcal

Just had a look at the East Rising site, it is very informative unlike other places where we buy panels from. It is a pity the footprints are different, in hindsight it would have been good to make them a default from day one. The good thing is they are of consistent quality, supply is guaranteed and the price is OK. Maybe boards in future could be designed to take them or even current gerbers redesigned so people can have them made if required.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version