Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects         Section
Subject Topic: Driver for clock pendulum Post ReplyPost New Topic
Page of 2 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dabbler

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 November 2018 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Dabbler

Hi, I am a beginner programming the Micromite. I am having difficulty getting it to do some simple things, so I am obviously missing something very basic.
I think it is probably best if I can explain what I am trying to do and how I am going about it as I may be approaching it in a less than optimal way!
I am making a pendulum clock where the pendulum takes 1 second to go from one side to the other. I want to generate a pulse of a varying duration to power an electromagnet that will repel a permanent magnet on the pendulum and thus keep the pendulum going. I want the pulse to adjust so as to regulate the amplitude of the pendulum swing -- keeping it fairly constant.

My approach is to use a Hall Effect Sensor centred at the middle of the swing. This turns on a shortly before the pendulum reaches the central position and turns off shortly afterwards. The duration of this pulse will be shorter when the pendulum is swinging widely and longer when the pendulum’s arc is shorter.
From a programming point of view, I have set pin 16 as INTH sending to a SUB that records the time as a variable, then resets the TIMER to 0. The recorded time will measure the period of the pendulum that should stay constant. (Knowing this helps to adjust the pendulum length and hence accuracy of the clock. )
I have set pin 17 as INTL sending to a SUB that records the time (variable e) and exits. “e” should be the duration of the Hall Sensor pulse – that varies depending on the arc of the pendulum. I then will scale “e” using some constants to produce the length of the pulse to the electromagnet. I want this to update every swing. The pulse to the electromagnet needs to be timed to be just after the pendulum has gone past the bottom point of its swing. This is not something that is directly detected by the Hall Sensor. It can be calculated as half the duration of the Hall pulse plus a small constant. So the first interrupt (rising) resets the TIMER to 0, the second interrupt (dropping) records the duration of the Hall sensor pulse. The timer continues to count until the next rising interrupt that records the period and resets the TIMER to 0 – on an endless loop.

Pin 18 is set as DOUT and goes to the electromagnet. The difficulty I am having, is triggering the pulse when the timer gets to the calculated point, and then pulsing for the calculated duration.
I have tried using PAUSE (equation to generate correct delay) then PULSE 18, (equation to generate correct duration).
I then programmed so the equations were done with the answers stored as variables that were then used – PAUSE x, PULSE 18, y, but this didn’t work either.
What am I doing wrong??

Back to Top View Dabbler's Profile Search for other posts by Dabbler

Gizmo
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Online
Posted: 04 November 2018 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Gizmo

Old Telecom time keeping clock. The contacts only close when the pendulum swings dont swing far enough. The coil above it has a tapered pole, to attract the pendulum smoothly. Also remember, you cant change the duration of a pendulum by giving it more force to swing, only by changing its length.

The Back Shed
JAQ Software
Back to Top View Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by Gizmo Visit Gizmo's Homepage

circuit

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote circuit

Edited; misread your concept

Edited by circuit on 04 November 2018 at 8:43pm
Back to Top View circuit's Profile Search for other posts by circuit

Dabbler

Posted: 06 November 2018 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote Dabbler

To clarify, I have no intention of changing the period (time) of the pendulum swing electronically, I just want to maintain the arc (distance) of the swing. The reason is that the pendulum powers a ratchet arrangement that advances clock mechanism. For this to work well, the pendulum must swing far enough to engage the next ratchet tooth, but not too far to engage two teeth. Also, to be pedantic, the arc of the pendulum does actually affect its period to a small degree. The bigger the arc that the pendulum moves, the faster it actually goes, and a clock can be regulated to keep more accurate time by electronically varying its arc. See https://www.instructables.com/id/A-wood-gear-clock-with-a-unique-drive-mechanism/

My immediate difficulty is consistently measuring the the duration of the hall effect pulse and the pendulum period. I am using two interrupts -- on on the rising edge and the second on the falling edge of the Hall pulse. The Hall period being the time between the rising and falling edge and the pendulum period, the time between rising edges. When I set the pendulum in motion, the time the Micromite is recording fluctuate significantly, particularly the hall duration can jump to a value close to the pendulum period.
I can post the code that I am using if that will help.

Dabbler

Posted: 06 November 2018 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Dabbler

SETPIN 16, INTH, zero 'directing to SUB zero
SETPIN 17, INTL, hallDuration ' directing to SUB hallDuration
SETPIN 18, DOUT:PIN 18 = 0

VAR a, e, g ' Variables; a, e = Hall Duration, f, g = Pendulum period

SUB zero
g = TIMER
TIMER = 0
END SUB

SUB hallDuration
e = TIMER
END SUB

DO
IF TIMER = (e/2) + a THEN pulse 18, f
'"(e/2) + a" is calculated time to start the pulse, e/2 is the mid point of the 'Hall pulse corresponding to the exact middle of the pendulum swing. "a" is a small 'delay so the the pulse starts just after the pendulum passes the centre so the 'electromagnetic pulse will repel the pendulum giving a nudge to keep swinging. "f" 'is a value calculated from the duration "e" to give a longer or shorter pulse 'depending on how long the Hall Effect Sensor is active (formula not given here).
PRINT e
PRINT g
LOOP

I wonder if the problem is that depending on the values, the INTL can break into the pulse generation cycle and disrupt it. If so, suggestions how to get around this would be appreciated. (Or if anyone can think of a better way of achieving the same timing and pulse generation)
Thanks

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 November 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

One obvious error is the use of VAR. It should be DIM

Without DIM, the variables are not global which is what you want here.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

Dabbler

Posted: 06 November 2018 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Dabbler

Thanks. The code I posted was from memory. The variables do work on the Micromite.
Is the
IF TIMER = x THEN "do something"
the way to get an action triggered at time "x"?

Bizzie

Posted: 06 November 2018 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Bizzie

Dabbler,

Can you use PULSIN( pin, polarity, t1 )?

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 November 2018 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Azure

A couple of thoughts (I have not done any work relating to driving a clock pendulum).

Maybe let the timer free run and just take a snapshot at the start and end times, and the hall active time = end - start. Will be wrong for 1 pulse when it eventually wraps.

The sensing range of hall sensors is very finicy, a lot more fussy in a pendulum setup than a fixed sensor with a fixed position rotating object. If there is any off centre travel in the pendulum (wobble/drift) it will trigger at different times or possible not at all. This could be the case for some time if the pendulum is manually taken to one side to start the movement.

When a magnet pulls the pendulum it will be likely to take the pendulum slightly off its true gravitational path causing fluctuation in the hall sensor activation point.

The difference between start and end may not be the exact centre of travel but slightly offset due to the activation and deactivation thresholds of the sensor. Your A offset should correct for this, but it may need to be a larger value than you think.

Good luck with your project, I hope some of those thoughts may be of help to you.
Back to Top View Azure's Profile Search for other posts by Azure

Dabbler

Posted: 06 November 2018 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Dabbler

Thanks Bizzie.

I looked at the PULSIN option but as I understand it, while this is measuring the pulse, the micromite can't do anything else, and it is during this period that the pulse needs to be generated.

Dabbler

Posted: 06 November 2018 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Dabbler

Thanks Guru for your thoughts.
Do you think there would be any advantage of letting the timer run free?

The pendulum has been set up to run smoothly and consistently. The variation in the times measured doesn't seem to relate to any change in what the pendulum is doing. There is an LED light that flashes on the Hall Sensor every time it is activated and this pulse shows no irregularity when the time recorded is wrong.

There is the potential for the magnetic pulse to corrupt the perfect swing of the pendulum. From what I have read, the shorter the pulse, the less likely this is to be the case. At the end of the day, I am not expecting "atomic clock" accuracy -- I will be happy if it keeps reasonable time, while running without having to wind it up!

It is important for the hall sensor to be positioned exactly at the centre of the pendulum swing. This is the main reason for recording the period of the pendulum. The position of the sensor can be fine tuned so that the time recorded for the "to" swing is the same as the "fro".

I pose the question again --
Is the
IF TIMER = x THEN "do something"
the way to get an action triggered at time "x"?

Bizzie

Posted: 06 November 2018 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote Bizzie

Yep I was aware of that.
Just thinking outside the square for a bit I wonder if you could measure the time on one side of the swing and do the "push" on the other? Obviously you need the Hall effect sensor exactly in the middle as you have indicated.
I am also wondering if cutting a light beam may end up more precise, harder to setup though.

I can not get my mind around IF TIMER = x THEN "do something" as the timer will be changing all the time so have not commented.

Page of 2 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version