Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grogster
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 November 2018 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

XTREE - oh yes.

I used XTREE Pro, and then XTREE Gold. They were wonderful little file managers, and I had repeated urges from my computer guy to quit using it, when we moved to Windows 95 at the time. I wanted to keep using Xtree, but something about it upset Bill(Windows) even at the time.

I use Puppy Linux on a USB stick in my standard kit, so if someone is having serious issues with their Windows box, you can boot up Puppy and have a look around. I use Linux's Gparted utility all the time on ex-Linux drives I want to re-use in Windows machines. USB drives are a fine example of that. You setup a bootable Linux on them, and Windows cannot delete those partitions and put the flash drive back to one you can use in Windows, without Gparted first deleting all the old partitions and putting a new one on there that Windows can see.

I guess that is fair enough in some ways. Windows is only designed to work on Windows partitions.

Back to Top View Grogster's Profile Search for other posts by Grogster Visit Grogster's Homepage

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote bigmik

Lads,

I used GEM for about an hour then killed it..

I also tried OS/2 which looked better. but at the time I said that graphics would never kick off and stayed with DOS for many years..

My first windows was called `Windows with Multi-media 1.0' that came with a CD drive I bought (for about $1000) included a soundblaster sound card as well.

I never could work out if that was actually windows 1 or not but it was definitely before 3.0 and 3.1 came out..

I sold it for a few $100 many years later to a collector who never heard of it and wanted it.. (I had moved to 3.1 by those days which was the first system I actually liked with graphics..

@Grogster, All,

ZTREE lives on and is fully compatible with current windows.. I often use it.. although not as often as I did.

It is available here

http://www.ztree.com/

Kind Regards,

Mick

Back to Top View bigmik's Profile Search for other posts by bigmik

Paul_L
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Paul_L

Does that bring back memories. When DOS loads the AUTOEXEC.BAT file loads the Norton Commander, my favorite program. I don't know why you would want to install windoze when you have NC available.

NC was dropped by Symantec after they bought Peter Norton's business. (Peter was originally a Boeing and JPL programmer working on mainframes and minis.) Symantec, or course, abandoned NC, it was just too good for them.

Christian Ghisler, who lives in Switzerland, reverse engineered NC using Delphi in 1993 calling it Windows Commander. In 2002 he changed its name to Total Commander when Microsoft complained about his use of the word windows. It's still the best file manager around, and I run it every day. I sent Christian $25 for a license back in 1994 and he's still providing me with updates. The current windows download is a 30 day demo ware which turns into a nagware. There are free mobile versions.

This is a shameless plug!!!!

Paul in NY

Back to Top View Paul_L's Profile Search for other posts by Paul_L

Gizmo
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Online
Posted: 09 November 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Gizmo

Does anyone remember a system called Framework, by Ashton Tate? Very early, around 1985. It was a GUI interface, with a word processor, spreadsheet, calculator, calendar, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework_(office_suite)

When I was a Telecom apprentice back in the early 80's, I was given the job of doing the weekly time sheets for my site ( Mackay radio department, about 10 staff ). I ended up writing a spreadsheet like program on my unused Microbee ( I had discovered girls about then, Microbee was no longer may favourite toy ) to help with the time sheets and record the data on tape, and used that for a few months before we were given a IBM XT. I rewrote the program in MS Basica. A few months later the head computer expert for the area installed something called "Framework". He said no one would be using basic in 5 years, it was at a dead end.

I picked up a copy of Framework III a few years ago at a clearance sale. Its a full set, I think, manuals and floppies.

Glenn

The Back Shed
JAQ Software
Back to Top View Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by Gizmo Visit Gizmo's Homepage

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

@ Paul - My boss loved Norton Commander/Windows Commander/Total Commander vs Xtree at the time. I remember fondly, the friendly arguments we would have trying to extol in the other, the great features of the other!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 2
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version