Microcontroller and PC projects
  Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects         Section
Subject Topic: uMite/MeteoTemplate Home Weather Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MikeO

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 November 2018 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote MikeO

Some time ago I developed some software on a Mite to decode the output from a La Crosse Wind sensor (Speed and Direction), it worked but unfortunately not totally reliably. Then just recently I put in some more time and eventually was able to improve the code sufficiently to get over the problems. I updated the code in the original thread here. Due to the location of this sensor (elevation and as far as possible away from buildings) this was a stand alone unit with the uMite decoding the sensor and then broadcasting the data as UDP network data.

The next part was to add in Rain sensor, Temp, Pressure and Humidity also my water tank sensor. The plan was for this unit to read these sensors and also be able to receive the remote wind sensor data, join it all together before outputting as complete aggregated data to various api's like Thingspeak, Weather Undergroud etc. I had intended to use a Raspberry Pi 3B for this task running MMBasic due to ease of programming and good network/internet resources but unfortunately, and disappointingly, I was just not able to get it running without spurious crashes. I decided to spare the frustration at this stage and use a Micromite Plus instead. I use ESP8266 modules in combination with uMites when I need network resources, I use ESPbasic and a MMbasic library in the uMite developed to interface with the ESP8266. I use the UDP protocol for data transfer.

Having got all this working nicely I completed Internet upload to my Thingspeak channel, I was also going to upload to the Weather Underground api to display my weather data but I then found that use of the free WU api is apparently due to end at the end of the year so I had to re-think.

I then came across a program called MeteoTemplate (google is your friend). Its quite flexible and can take data from various commercial home weather stations but also has the ability to read a user generated data file. Great! I use a Synology NAS as my home file server which is also a Web server so I soon had a copy of MeteoTemplate running on the NAS and set about writing a PHP utility to receive the UDP data from my Micromites. I was a little daunted about the PHP script I had to create but it turned out to be not too difficult and soon all was working. A raspberry Pi would also be capable of running the MeteoTemplate software, just a little slower.

You can see my Weather Station here
I can post code for Mites and PHP if required.

Mike

Edited by MikeO on 08 November 2018 at 9:03pm

Back to Top View MikeO's Profile Search for other posts by MikeO Visit MikeO's Homepage

Azure
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote Azure

Wow, nice work on getting all that running. That meteotemplate presents your weather station and other data feeds nicely.
Back to Top View Azure's Profile Search for other posts by Azure

Volhout

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote Volhout

Very nice website, and obviously a lot of work to get it all working. Good job !!
I checked the dutch translations (my native language) and the translation is not complete. I am not sure if you create the dutch text yourself or get the translation from somewhere, but I could help you if needed.

Volhout

MikeO

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote MikeO

@ Volhout, the Web software wasn't written by myself it was don by a guy in Czech republic , yes very nice web software.

Mike

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version