Forum Index : Other Stuff         Forum Jump
Subject Topic: My (hair brained?) plan! Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dubyagee

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 February 2012 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote Dubyagee

I have quite a few of the "fire sticks". The heater is nice too.

Back to Top View Dubyagee's Profile Search for other posts by Dubyagee

VK4AYQ
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 February 2012 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote VK4AYQ

Hi Muddy

With a nice heater like that you would be better to use waste wood for heating and save the reclaimed oil for use in a diesel car to solve transportation issues, and you could use the heat from the rear to generate a bit of electricity by reversing the cooler plates to charge a battery for led lighting, I read an article several years ago from Canada where they used the stove to provide lighting and power the two way radio.

All the best

Bob

patmerridea

Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote patmerridea

muddy0409 wrote:
Oh wow!
Them shoes would fit my wonky feet perfectly. Where do I get a pair or two. Plain boring old black, not really into fancy arty farty colours.

hey wats wrong with red hair ??????????
Back to Top View patmerridea's Profile Search for other posts by patmerridea

patmerridea

Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote patmerridea

hi listen up there nothing wrong with having red hair so dont b knocking it, we irish have been trying to export it for years lol
Back to Top View patmerridea's Profile Search for other posts by patmerridea

gyrogearloose

Posted: 02 April 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote gyrogearloose

Has anyone here thought of building a gas producer something similar to that used during the war to run automobiles. The priciple is quite simple. You have two chambers the bottom one being the fire box the top one (sealed with strong door) is the oven. Also you will need a 44 gallon drum and copper tubing to make cooling condenser. The gas is fed into an amphometer constucted using extra large Tractor inner tube weighed down with rocks or concrete lid. The idea is to heat wood or even dry weeds in the top chamber while sealed releasing the gas through a coil in drumm filled with water to the amphometer. Once the wood or weeds turn to charcoal the the charcoal is burnt in bottom fire box to start the process all over again.
There has to be a non return valve fitted in gas supply line from gas producer to prevent gas from flowing back when door is opened to remove charcoal and replenish wood or weeds. (anything combustable such as cardboard, paper, cotton rags etc can be used but not plastics).
The gas can be used for heating, cooking, drive engines etc the gas pressure is only as high as the weight used on the inner tube and will remain constant while it is inflated with gas.

yahoo2
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 03 April 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote yahoo2

Hi Gyro,
I made the mistake of asking my grandfather and a few of his mates about what was wrong with the gas producers they used during the depression when petrol rationing was on. That's a couple of hours I will never get back!!! They had them fitted on a rack over the roof of their trucks and the gas was produced with a chemical reaction. They reckon the quality of the gas was the biggest problem, often the motor would splutter to a stop and leave them stranded.

My grandmother said that that cleaning and reloading the producer was a filthy soul destroying chore. For her to say that it must have been bad cos she could handle almost anything without batting an eyelid.
Back to Top View yahoo2's Profile Search for other posts by yahoo2

grub

Posted: 05 April 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote grub

Not sure if I can put this up here, but I searched for the same things a few years ago and found a web site that shows how to make one that uses wood chips. It was originally in separate web pages for each chapter and I combined them into one document. The only trouble is I have only the combined document and no idea of the web site it all came from as a new hard drive or two later and the details were lost.

2012-04-05_072351_Construction_of_a_Simplified_Wood_Gas_Gene rator_for_Fuelin….pdf
Back to Top View grub's Profile Search for other posts by grub

yahoo2
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 06 April 2012 at 2:40am | IP Logged Quote yahoo2

I was kinda hoping that Muddy would get back involved in this and throw a few ideas around because I think it is a great topic. I see shows on the telly like carbon cops and it makes me think that their calculations on the benefits and savings are a bit sus.

A few examples
Boiling a jug or switching a light on for a couple of minutes a day uses stuff all power, - don't need a expensive super efficient light bulb or appliance for that.

Cars that break down (European turbo diesels)and are very expensive to fix, cost a lot more to own than one that uses a bit more fuel and is good for 500,000 K with minor maintenance.

Fiddling with stuff that always needs tinkering with to make it work properly takes time away from my work, family, and sleep and I will get old, grumpy and poor really quickly.

If I halved my household bills for fuel, heating and electricity ( assuming I paid the market rate) it is the equivalent of what I earn in 7 days, spending big bucks for that sort of saving makes no financial sense.

I have a generator that I have never actually used for emergency power.

There are some things that just will not grow in my garden ( spuds ) its not a sin buy a few things and grow the things I am good at.

I think wood gas generators are firmly in the hobby category for me, I am hard pressed to think of a practical use for it that would be worth the effort. A solid fuel heater might interest me though.

That's not to say I am Mr Practical, I have a burning desire to make my own biodiesel from canola, I know that if I leave room for a few stuff ups I will be hard pressed to make a litre of fuel for less than $2.50 still doesn't stop me wanting to have a go.

Edited by yahoo2 on 06 April 2012 at 2:41am
Back to Top View yahoo2's Profile Search for other posts by yahoo2

gyrogearloose

Posted: 06 April 2012 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote gyrogearloose

Hi Grub & Yahoo
This is an intesting topic and I will be looking into it now I have some plans to go by thank to Grub! I have already made some substantial savings on electricity use and production in my home for example reducing my power bill from $420.00 in 3 months to just $82.00. There are even more power generating ideas on my drawing board such as a water wheel in the creek alongside my home to produce electricity when it is raining. I already have 5 kW of solar array power going to the grid which at present is only paying for itself in returns at 68c kW hour around $800.00 a quarter and should produce actual income in another year and a half. There is also 1.7 kW array on my carport that generates 48 VDC to a 380 AH battery bank that is used to outsmart the smart meter of the power company by using a W7 inverter to power the house when electricity rates are at 45c kW hour. There is also a 400w wind turbine which I have managed to boost up to supply 800w at 48 VDC. I guess you could call it a second hobby of mine and a very profitable one as well. We have not used the town water now in over 5 years when you consider safe potable water supplied by them at 21 parts per million total dissolved solids when I can produce it from my creek at on 3 TDS/PPM.
Now that the water is getting close to $2.00 a 1000 litres and you have constant water restrictions having your own cleaner water supply makes sense when you use solar and off peak power to pump your water through reverse osmosis system and not having any restrictions placed on you when you want to water your garden. Many in our area use spear point pumps to get water from ground aquifer however in Woywoy on Central coast the council decided to extract water from the aquifer sucking it down to such a low level many of the local spear pumps have become useless because of the massive drop in water levels.

grub

Posted: 06 April 2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote grub

Gyro-Gearloose, if you do make a woodgas generator, post details here for all to see. I would be most interested. I imagined setting up a small car motor running on wood gas and generating power from a bank of F&P's. The council here chips branch trimmings and then sells the chips as garden topping for $5 a trailer load.
I would have to agree with some points of yahoo2. Sometimes it just isn't worth the cost or effort to do some things, but as a hobby it can be interesting.
Back to Top View grub's Profile Search for other posts by grub

Barry T Coles

Posted: 06 April 2012 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Barry T Coles

I agree with Gyro this is a good subject.

Back home in Karratha I have a 5.5hp gas powered Honda motor direct coupled to a 12 volt alternator (on holidays in Perth now).

I came across this when the lecky's where having a clean out in the workshop & it was going to the dump; these where originally used for running our radio comms relay stations during cyclone time when the solar panels wouldn't put out enough power, the gas was supplied from a couple of 100lb bottles that would run for ever through a 2.7Kpa regulator.

What I intend to do with this is to try & run it on methane gas produced from a composter/digester; the digester is quite simple, it is simply some of the blue plastic 44 gal drums, the first being the digester, screwed into one of the bung holes will be a 50mm PVC ball valve that has a sealable hopper/drum screwed to the top where you put your kitchen scraps etc.

The second drum is filled with water & has an inlet from the first drum at one bung hole & an outlet pipe that goes from the bottom of a second drum to a third drum to collect the water.

The principle is that as the methane is generated in the sealed composter/digester the only escape is by way of the second drum; as the water is displaced in drum 2 it is pushed through to drum 3 that is elevated about 3 metres above the others, this will give a head pressure on drum 2 that will supply the gas pressure to the motor.

To save loosing any gas when filling the digester I will attach a simple hand bilge pump between drum 1 & 2 & by forcing gas into drum 2 I will create a vacuum in drum 1, I then fill the hopper with scraps, seal the lid & open the 2"valve, the vacuum should draw the scaps through into the drum if I get the water & scrap mix right.

The motor runs on about .5 of a meter head of pressure of gas so there is no need to compress the gas to any significant amount.

Depending on how well the digester creates the gas I can have any amount of collector drums in series.

The theory sounds OK but I wont know until I build it.

I drew a rough daigramme in MS paint but couldn't get it to upload, when i work out a different drawing I will post it & when I get back home post a pic of the motor & genny.

Cheers
Barry

muddy0409

Posted: 06 April 2012 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote muddy0409

Hey there Bazz. Karratha huh? Well I'll have to drop on in one day for a cuppa. Missed an opportunity last weekend when the missus and a mob of bowlers from Hedland was down there for a match. I stayed home and couch potatoed for the quiet weekend.
I haven't really done anything as yet, just getting to grips with what is possible/probable. Unfortunately, over the last few years I have discovered the most dangerous thing around is me with a tape measure and a hacksaw. So I have had to accept that my building skills are not what I would like them to be.
Therefore pretty much anything I will be doing will be purchased complete and just bolted together. Ain't it a bitch gettin' old?
Anything I decide to do will be installed in our house in northern NSW when we move over there in 3 years or so, but always on the lookout for ideas. The Broome (spent a year up there recently) tip was a goldmine for F&P washing machines and I've got to check out our local tip here in Hedland. Slowly collecting bits 'n' pieces (much to Sue's dismay) for future use.

then you DON'T have it!
Back to Top View muddy0409's Profile Search for other posts by muddy0409

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version