Home  |  Contents 
Electronics
  Forum Index : Electronics         Section
Subject Topic: Connection to a TV AV input without Video Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ray B

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 March 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote Ray B

I thought it should be possible when away from home to connect the audio Left / Right from say a portable audio device or even a laptop into the AV input of say a hotel TV screen so I can play audio through the TV speakers. Video not required.

TV AV inputs have the usual Red / White for Audio Left / Right as well as a Yellow input socket for video but a TV won't recognise these alone.

TV normally won't recognise the audio inputs alone but seems to depend on there being a signal on the Yellow video input connector. For example I've measured approx 1 volt DC out of portable devices so maybe I could simulate this using using a single cell (1.5) and maybe voltage divider to get about 1 volt DC.

Maybe in the TVs AV input is just a transistor junction wanting to be switched on?

Before I blow something up has anyone come across a specification for connecting devices into a TV AV input or even seen a circuit in this area of a typical TV.

Cheers

Back to Top View Ray B's Profile Search for other posts by Ray B

vmike

Posted: 02 March 2012 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote vmike

What the input is looking for is the composite sync signal rather than a DC/AC voltage. Probably the cheapest and easiest device for your application would be to purchase one of those single board NTSC video cameras and power it with a 9 volt battery.

Ray B

Posted: 02 March 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Ray B

Suppose I could always just connect the composite video output from any portable device like a digital camera (yellow lead) into the TV to bluff it then poke what I like into the White/Red audio inputs & audio will come through speakers.

Maybe a typical TV may be smart enough to look for the composite sync signal but I thought it may just be looking for some input level. From memory composite goes up to approx 1 volt peak on full white.

Should give it a try.....

aargee

Posted: 02 March 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote aargee

I think you'll find that the A/V input is going into an IC that detects video then passes audio and video through. That's why when you select AV on most TVs, with no video connected, the screen is blue and the audio is muted. A video source to fool the TV is the only answer.

- Rob.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version