Pics attached

John

Back to Top View jman's Profile Search for other posts by jman

Nick
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Nick

A lot of fine soldering near the PIC chip pins.

Will need steady hands or you could botch up your PIC32.

Not an impossible mod but I can see some bunged up Maximites out there after the mod.

Maybe someone can offer a service to do this upgrade professionally?

This is why I was hoping that I/O pins from the back connector could be "reprogrammed" in the Maximite video driver firmware to output the RGB via an external connector when using colour.

Nick

Edited by Nick on 24 May 2012 at 8:12pm
Back to Top View Nick's Profile Search for other posts by Nick Visit Nick's Homepage

Geoffg
Guru
Guru

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote Geoffg

I have been experimenting with this technique for generating colour and the results are amazing. It is just too good to ignore.

John did an excellent job of converting his Maximite but he must be expert at desoldering as removing the VGA connector is an almost impossible task without damaging the board. Because of this I doubt that few would want to mod their existing Maximites (or DuinoMites).

So, to get colour, we will need a new PCB and if we do that we might as well go with a new Maximite (the Mark II Colour Maximite).

The other issue is that colour requires three SPI channels and on the 64 pin chip this means that one channel has to be shared with the SD card and this causes interference on the screen when the SD card is accessed. The 100 pin chip has four SPI channels so, if we are going with a new board, we might as well go with the 100 pin chip - it is only 90 cents more expensive than the 64 pin chip and it will not break the bank.

I have the design and the colour version of MMBasic mostly finished. It will do everything the original Maximite did (with the exception of composite video) and will run almost as fast. Because of the 100 pin chip we also have extra I/O so I plan a second 26 pin connector giving a total of 40 I/O pins. It should cost about the same as the original Maximite and be capable of being built by a home constructor.

I presume that Silicon Chip will publish the design but it will take some months for the article to appear as I have to design the new board, get them made, build the prototypes, write the articles, etc. So, hang in there... the Colour Maximite is coming and you too will be able to program in glorious colour.

Geoff

jman
Guru
Guru

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote jman

FANTASTIC

Nick
Guru
Guru

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Nick

I second that... Fantastic!

While you're at the design stage, how about making the sound outputs more accessible by actually providing a jack to connect the audio ouput to an amp or the monitor's audio in jack's (many LCD monitors already have audio in).

And to take this even further, a second small pic chip programmed as a sound chip with it's own Internal RAM to hold Musical notes or simple sound samples that can be played with zero intervention of the main PIC and MMBasic.

Granted, this may be beyond the scope of what the Maximite is aimed to be... a games machine... and will add cost (maybe provided a socket for this extra PIC as an audio upgrade?).

Nick
Back to Top View Nick's Profile Search for other posts by Nick Visit Nick's Homepage

vasi
Guru
Guru

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote vasi

Maybe it would be easy to develop a MMBasic version on this board for game programmers/users...

Back to Top View vasi's Profile Search for other posts by vasi Visit vasi's Homepage

Nick
Guru
Guru

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Nick

Wow!

Here's another idea. How about a maximite 2 board that installs into the base of a keyboard?

It would require a keyboard that has enough open space inside. Unfortunately, keyboards today are quite slim but older ones tended to have a bit of space at the bottom and by cutting a panel at the back, could make room for connectors.

The idea would be to reduce desktop clutter and have a self contained computer/controller keyboard.

Just an idea.

Nick
Guru
Guru

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Nick

And another idea...

Update the.. "Colour Maximite MMBasic Version 4.0" boot text to a proper and official boot logo that comes up when the maximite is powered up.

Display it for 2 seconds then jump to the command prompt (or simple file menu?).

Nick

jman
Guru
Guru

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote jman

Nick wrote:
Wow!

Here's another idea. How about a maximite 2 board that installs into the base of a keyboard?

The idea would be to reduce desktop clutter and have a self contained computer/controller keyboard.

This would my desk worse as I very seldom use a keyboard on my Maximite.
The current PCB size is good for embeded applications.
I assume that's the reason for the I/O ports and built in protocols (SPI,I2C,Serial)
This is my opinion and I expect everbody has their own

John

cosmic frog

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote cosmic frog

....and can we also have a BLITTER chip with 3d graphics and quadrophonic sound and matter transmogrifier with built-in time machine and....
Just kidding

This is great, and the colour text from Geoff looks fantastic, but lets not turn this great little computer into something that its not. Lets get the colour working properly and then move onto the 3d graphic and whatever.

Again, this looks FANTASTIC!
Back to Top View cosmic frog's Profile Search for other posts by cosmic frog

djuqa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote djuqa

What would be great especially for some of the embedded applications is to have something like what is used with the Duinomite regular & Mini Maximite. Have a separate add-on board(s) for the IO connectors including the KB.
That way it would be more flexible in the usage.

But number 1 criteria should be to keep the overall design "SIMPLE". This whole project/ design paradigm is not to re-create a Desktop Computer with all that entails, but a simple & powerful control/trainer/embedded/useful computer with easy to use Firmware/Hardware.

Edited by djuqa on 26 May 2012 at 9:43pm

Back to Top View djuqa's Profile Search for other posts by djuqa Visit djuqa's Homepage

Geoffg
Guru
Guru

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Geoffg

On the audio front I hope to have two PWM outputs available which could be used for stereo sound with a future firmware upgrade. If there is space on the back panel I will also add two RCA connectors although this is not a priority.

One thing that I have to be careful of is that if I add a $5 part it will add $20 to the cost of a kit due to the price multipliers that operate. For this reason I am trying to make any extras optional. I am also trying to make all the parts (including the box) generic so that anyone can produce a kit and hopefully the resultant competition will keep the price down.

Vasi, that is a neat board. There are so many great PIC32 platforms out there that it makes it difficult to decide what to support with MMBasic and what to ignore.

A small logo is a good idea... now to design a logo !!!

Geoff

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version