Page of 2 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Gizmo
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 September 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote Gizmo

Hi All

For some time I've wanted to make a slow running high torque windmill. After reading the work of Dennis with his 5 blade 100 series stator windmill, I felt a slow running windmill would work better for my low wind location.

Part 1. A 6 blade turbine.

The blades were cut from 250mm PVC pipe. Each blade is about 1100mm long and has the leading and trailing edges shaped like a airfoil. Tip angle is about 5 degrees. Making PVC blades is fun, well not really, its dusty and the PVC dust has a static charge so sticks to everything, I looked like a snowman and had to vacuum myself!

I dropped the tower today and took off the 3 blade turbine based on those reshaped Chinese blades. They did work well, but I wanted more low wind power.

Up in the air and running. They work great, quiet ( I was worried about the noise, but this set is very quiet ), and start up in virtually no wind.

This is the mounting hub, all lasercut steel. Maybe a bit of overkill, but its strong, not that heavy, and I will never have to worry about it breaking.

Big improvement over the 3 blade turbine, same winds saw 4 to 6 amps, where I was getting 2 amps with the Chinese blades. The stator is a 80 series 7 phase 3 pole, startup is about 90RPM for 12 volts. Diameter is 2.66 meters, thats as big as my tower will take before the blades start clipping the guy wires.

Part 2. Dual stator.

Well this will be finished next weekend, so stay tuned. But here are a couple of photos. The nacelle is again laser cut steel, so it all fits together nicey. Uses one of Trevs re-splined shafts.

Glenn

Edited by Gizmo on 30 September 2007 at 9:25pm

The Back Shed
JAQ Software

Back to Top View Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by Gizmo Visit Gizmo's Homepage

sPuDd

Posted: 01 October 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote sPuDd

Glenn,

I like the look of that dual F&P. Any chance you
will be selling a kit of laser cut parts for it? One
of those 6 blade hubs would be sweet too

sPuDd..

Gizmo
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Posted: 01 October 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote Gizmo

Yeah I am thinking of making up a little kit of laser cut parts. I used to have a "Kit" windmill I sold a couple of years ago, but they ended up costing me more to make than I was selling them for.

The PVC blade hub worked good. The only problem is the laser cuting of the spline to suit the F&P shaft. While the laser cut spline works fine, its not pretty, and I was always embarrased to sell them. Trev's cast aluminum hubs are a much nicer looking adapter. Maybe I can get Trev to supply a cast aluminium boss to suit the F&P spline, with a flat surface and bolt holes to suit my laser cut adapters for PVC blades ( or timber blades ).

Will look into it.

Tonight I'll draw up and post a diagram of how I cut and shaped the PVC blades. Its nothing new, but they are working good and others may find the info handy.

Glenn

The Back Shed
JAQ Software
Back to Top View Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by Gizmo Visit Gizmo's Homepage

brucedownunder2
Guru
Guru

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 6:37am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote brucedownunder2

Hi Glenn, as usual, nice work ,thanks for sharing it with us.

Have you used the "new" 3 phase stator and rotor ,recently ? ,and what are your thoughts - mind were that the output is a bit lower than the original F&P stator/rotor combination.

I've got a set of ABS plastic blades up and I was surprised at the early start-up in hardly no wind ,, without the rotor they would turn 24/7 , no doubt. But connecting the rotor and batteries holds the mill back considerably.
Visited Phil M yesterday and he is completing his dual stator rig using 4 halves of the 2 stators in star configuration running into a 48 v battery bank . I was surprised how easy we got the test rig spinning by hand and easily running up to 50+volts without very much "drag".

His abs blades are 1500 and mine are 1750mm .(radius).

all the best,

Bruce

domwild
Guru
Guru

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote domwild

Glenn,

Thanks for that. Nicely cut with the laser! How is the new business going?

Regards,

Winston Churchill
Back to Top View domwild's Profile Search for other posts by domwild

vasi
Guru
Guru

Posted: 03 October 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote vasi

Yes, this is The Way for low wind areas. Thank you Glenn! The detals are great.

This is better than Lenz turbine? I think is equal with Lenz in low winds but, better in higher winds?

Edited by vasi on 03 October 2007 at 9:07pm
Back to Top View vasi's Profile Search for other posts by vasi Visit vasi's Homepage

dazz

Posted: 26 May 2008 at 1:13am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote dazz

Glenn, as a matter of interest. with those blades of yours, what would be the maximum RPM that you would be comfortable in them not falling apart, or doing other unfortunate things like folding?

Cheers, Daryl

Edited by dazz on 02 June 2008 at 12:59am
Back to Top View dazz's Profile Search for other posts by dazz

robbo

Posted: 16 June 2008 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote robbo

Glenn,
Are you still considering making the kit for the dual stators ?
Havent seen any on your site.

feix62k

Posted: 27 August 2008 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote feix62k

Hi I like the look of the six hub any chance of a drawing, how is the hub mounted on the shaft eg splined or welded back plate would ,love some dimentions hub diameter blade strenghtining brackets ect Ihave sucseesfully built my f and p moter know for the fun stuff I want to put it all together. I have 3 wires on moter can any one tell me were they go I used this config thanks Shane ps thanks all for a great site

grolly

Posted: 15 September 2008 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote grolly

"Tonight I'll draw up and post a diagram of how I cut and shaped the PVC blades. Its nothing new, but they are working good and others may find the info handy."

Hi Glenn, did you get around to drawing how you cut and shaped the blades? if so where did you post it?

Grolly

kgoering

Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:53am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote kgoering

Glen
Very impressed with the design you came up with. Have been looking for a design for over a year and finally found yours. Most interested in the lasercut pieces that attach the blades to the hub. I have a solid hub that I would be able to attach these pieces to. Do you have drawings for these parts? Would you sell the dwg, or dfx files for them?
Thank you
Keith

wallablack

Posted: 05 October 2011 at 4:39am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote wallablack

Gizmo wrote:
Hi All

Uses one of Trevs re-splined shafts.

Glenn

Good Morning,

Does this Trev bloke sell/modify the original shafts? How can I contact him?
It is just what im looking for..

Kev.
Back to Top View wallablack's Profile Search for other posts by wallablack

Page of 2 Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version