Forum Index : Windmills         Section
Subject Topic: f n p gridtie windturbine Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
flc1

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 April 2016 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote flc1

Heres a video of my turbine on youtube if anybody is interested...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcDe8FEmtoo

Back to Top View flc1's Profile Search for other posts by flc1

govertical
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote govertical

Great, thanks for posting.

domwild
Guru
Guru

Posted: 11 April 2016 at 1:07am | IP Logged Quote domwild

flc1,

Thanks for that, most interesting. I assume you are not getting that princely sum of 6 cents/kWh (a WA figure) from the state as the Chinese grid tie I also want to buy is not built to AS/NZ standards; good luck to you!

What worries me with those grid ties is the message that they disconnect from the grid on over voltage, I take it to mean they then dump it into the provided dump loads and batteries, but is that good enough? You relays then cut out the batteries when charged and the dump loads are the sole recipients. Ever thought of adding a H/W element?

Winston Churchill
Back to Top View domwild's Profile Search for other posts by domwild

flc1

Posted: 11 April 2016 at 2:25am | IP Logged Quote flc1

Gday Domwild, ,, we get 7c per kw in the summer and 10c in the winter here, yep they dump into the dumpload resistor if there is a over voltage or grid drops out for sum reason,not sure if they dump everything into the resistor when theres an over voltage, or if they just dump the amount that is over the max, I would think it would be the later. but the dumpload seems to handle it ok.The dumploads glow yellow when they come in at high rpm from the grid switching off,when theres a drop in rpm the dumpload pulls turbine to a stop, and it seems to take alot more wind to get the rpm increasing again.they seem to do the job fine.I think the main thing with the gridtie inverters is that they disconect from the grid when the grid is turned off, so no linesmen etc get electrocuted, and these inverters do just that,which is good. I could get one of those water heater elements that can handle both ac and dc,or so the seller of the elements claims they can handle both?ha. I have thought about that, just means I have to run a couple more cables to the house.

Edited by flc1 on 11 April 2016 at 7:33am

flc1

Posted: 12 April 2016 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote flc1

double stator setup.........with 1 stator removed, so I can repack bearing with grease.

Edited by flc1 on 12 April 2016 at 7:48am

DaveP68

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote DaveP68

Hey Fred

What a beautiful picture, a work of art that actually does something productive like producing up to 1.1 kW of power!!

Good work, have to try catch up sometime to compare notes on our respective setups..

Cheers

David
Back to Top View DaveP68's Profile Search for other posts by DaveP68

domwild
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote domwild

flc1 wrote:
Gday Domwild, ,, we get 7c per kw in the summer and 10c in the winter

Hi,
Am curious and you do not need to reply as I may be dobbing you in here but I want to do the same:

To get those princely sums an electrician must have installed it I presume and then made application to the provider to pay for the feed-in, but an electrician may not install something, which is not AS/NZ approved. How did you get around that??

Winston Churchill
Back to Top View domwild's Profile Search for other posts by domwild

flc1

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote flc1

DaveP68 wrote:
Hey Fred

What a beautiful picture, a work of art that actually does something productive like producing up to 1.1 kW of power!!

Good work, have to try catch up sometime to compare notes on our respective setups..

Cheers

David
Gday Dave, thanks for that, don't know about it being a work of art?lots of room for improvment ha, yea we must catch up. Domwild...my system is approved.If your not approved you don't get the full benefit of what you produce, your just giving electricity to the power company for free. we don't want to give them somthing for nothing.

Edited by flc1 on 26 April 2016 at 8:37am

flc1

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote flc1

latest peak ac output is 1020watts, uploaded vid on youtube of turbines dumpload in operation, glowing bright orange white , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrZCZDM9hM

Edited by flc1 on 27 July 2016 at 12:57pm

fillm
Guru
Guru

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote fillm

For a dump load to be glowing like that means it is the wrong size and rating and is tempting fate especially on a plywood wall. A dump load should be able to take the turbine power and dissipate it and not get to the glowing and meltdown stage. I would say try use 4 of those ceramic 2 x 2 in series and then parallel connected.

flc1

Posted: 01 August 2016 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote flc1

Thanks Phill, the glowing comes only at or near peak rpm ,peak output, but I agree that I need to increase the dumpload size,it may not last long like that in a severe storm if the grid is shutdown, these dumploads seem to be similar design to the old bar heaters we used for heating years ago, which glowed red all the time while in use..the plywood is temparary housing untill I get around to building a better one. I have another inverter with dumpload hooked up to turbine aswell, but its not switched on.

Edited by flc1 on 14 August 2016 at 3:36am

flc1

Posted: 14 August 2016 at 3:37am | IP Logged Quote flc1

have ordered more resistors to upgrade dumpload as you suggested Phill, thanks for the good advise.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version