Forum Index : Windmills         Section
Subject Topic: My Smartdrive 2 stage Savonius. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Page of 2 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
retepsnikrep

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 January 2008 at 1:51am | IP Logged Quote retepsnikrep

I have recently joined this excellent group and have been assembling a basic guyed Oil drum 2 stage Savonius VAWT using a LG Smartdrive generator.

I'm now at the testing and tweaking stage with the whole assembly rigged up in my workshop and me or wife spinning it by hand ;) At this time we are at the amazing and satisfying lighting a bulb when spun phase

I'm using two standard 50 gallon drums with a central shaft. I'm using an ex LG washing machine smartdrive motor in standard 3 phase star config to try and get some output at low rpm. I have not done any de-cogging as yet.

I using a standard 3 phase bridge rectifier made out of normal diodes at present, I have some Schottky ones on order. I am on the look out for unpolarised 100v 100uf caps to try that mod as well, once I have it up and running I may rewire stator depending on results.

I haven't decided on a final system voltage yet, I'll wait until I get some power results and then decide as I have a fairly flexible battery system in mind. Sadly I live in a very sheltered and turbulent wind area, I already have a normal Air-X type turbine which really struggles to stay into the wind.

Here are a few pics, I'll post more when it's up.

Savonius 1

Savonius 2

Savonius 3

Savonius 4

Savonius 5

Regards

Peter UK

Back to Top View retepsnikrep's Profile Search for other posts by retepsnikrep Visit retepsnikrep's Homepage

Gizmo
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Gizmo

Thats a nice looking machine Peter. I bet you are eager to get it out side into the wind. Would be very interested to see how it runs.

The LG is very similar to the F&P motor, so I think the cap mod should work just as well.

I dont think you will need to decog the stator. I built a Lenz2 vertical windmill, about half the size of your savonius, and it started a stock standard F&P stator easily, no need to decog it. But I did find the vibration from the F&P was amplified by the Lenz2 wings, making a drone noise, so I tried a decoged stator and it reduced the noise a lot. So I would try the standard stator first, see if its noisy before you consider de-coging.

Glenn

The Back Shed
JAQ Software
Back to Top View Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by Gizmo Visit Gizmo's Homepage

RonS

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote RonS

Hi retepsnikrep
I did a lot of research with Savonius rotors some years ago. I used a single 44 gallon drum driving a vehicle alternator through a series of V-belts, the whole bolted onto the back of my ute (utility truck/'pickup').
I found the ideal overlap to be 29% of the diameter of the drum, plus allowance for obstructions (like your pipe-shaft, for instance). Direct drive is the only way to go with a Savonius. My system above generated just sufficient power at 40KPH to turn slowly, all the power being absorbed into the necessary 'gearing-up'v-belts and pulleys. A waste of time!.....but as a driver of cam-operated reciprocating pumps for water it was a success and many were sold in rural areas of Australia for that purpose. As you will learn from this forum, there are better ways to go, however, than a Savonius. For serious power, try a Miller rotor.

Gill

Posted: 23 January 2008 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Gill

Nice job there Peter.

You've fitted that LG very snugly. It looks great.
A little more height will be desirable once outside, though supporting such beasts at height is more difficult.

Now for the important question...
What colour is the wife going to paint it?

retepsnikrep

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 2:21am | IP Logged Quote retepsnikrep

Gill wrote:
Now for the important question...
What colour is the wife going to paint it?

I have painted it same colour as floor as I had 20L of that paint in stock. Hard wearing and waterproof so should help protect it.

martinjsto

Posted: 29 January 2008 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote martinjsto

very nice work peter, i have seen a few similar units in padocks around SW of Western Australia, and they seem to spin realy fast. seen others on internet, they sugest the 3 tier seems the way to go for the torque required when loaded although i havnot built one yet so i cannot comment directly. you would want to secure the unit well, especialy if raised off ground at a height. the central pipe is good, nice and strong, others i have seen are made around old bike wheels, seem to be a bit weak to me.
do the LG's have the same amount of poles as the F&P?
and can you get a different rotor like the F&P's for 7 phase. if not the 3 phase mods work well as gizmo pointed out. i have access to a lot of old machines from a repair shop, but i have not looked at the LG's, they look very similar might have to get one and do some experiments. well done again
good luck and welcome to the group
martin

retepsnikrep

Posted: 03 February 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote retepsnikrep

I have now decogged my LG UK Directdrive 36 pole stator prior to erection of my Savonius unit. Before decogging stator had very sharp edges to protruding coil lamminations, now rounded off quite nicely with a powerfile bought specially for the job ;)

Gill

Posted: 03 February 2008 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Gill

A bit late to be checking this now I suppose, but with 36 poles did you check to see if the rotor magnets are rectangular or arrowhead? There seems to be a large gap between poles and this suits the decogged magnets.

To check, sprinkle some iron filings onto a magnet inlay. The iron filings will be attracted to the boundries between North and South. If they are angled or arrowhead ..... well too bad, if square to the edge then decogging well worthwile.

retepsnikrep

Posted: 03 February 2008 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote retepsnikrep

From the bits of swarf etc that collected whilst I was messing about with this I could see the magnets appeared to be rectangular.

retepsnikrep

Posted: 03 February 2008 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote retepsnikrep

Up and running. Generating fairly easy 12v at 1 amp in low turbulent wind. Now charging a 12v battery.

Poor pic as light very bad today.

My weather station mounted on top.

Whole set up is about 12ft off ground on a flat car port type roof between two buildings. Sadly I just don't have anywhere else to mount it :(

Youtube video showing it going round in light wind.

Edited by retepsnikrep on 04 February 2008 at 3:51pm

solarwind

Posted: 04 February 2008 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote solarwind

Impressive! Can't wait to hear more, also with more wind.Congrats!

retepsnikrep

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote retepsnikrep

My VAWT unit makes virtually no noise, and is much quieter than my HAWT Air-X 400W on the adjacent mast.

It also starts up in very little wind.

Savonius in better light

Savonius and Air-X

Page of 2 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version