Forum Index : EV's         Section
Subject Topic: Aussie Electric khanacross special Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
galderdi

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 August 2016 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote galderdi

Hi everyone,

I have been competing in grass roots motorsport since 2005. But recently I built myself an Electric Vehicle (EV) from the ground up.

Engine: Advanced DC FB1 4001
Exhaust: None
Suspension: Home grown
Wheels: Various (some Bob Jane specials and some Simons)
Modifications: Everything from the ground up
Stereo Audio / Visual: None
Estimated Power: Power is not huge at around 75 KW but the torque is 440nm from 0 revs.

I know its not the usual ride you would expect to see here. I have built this car specifically for khanacross events. It weighs 530kg. Most of the running gear is from an N13 pulsar. It is front wheel drive and still has all 5 forward gears.
I also use it for Motorkhana and hill climbs but it is most suited to Khanacross. The batteries are from a Holden Volt. They give 7kwh of power starting at 170v dc and a peak of about 500amps. The motor controller is a Curtis also capable of 500amps.

Here is a video from the latest event (Motorkhana)
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...m-upload_owner
But there are better videos on my Youtube channel

I have created a new Youtube channel and Facebook page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnEGxozdhehgrxXcohzWiYQ
https://www.facebook.com/fullchargemotorsport/

Back to Top View galderdi's Profile Search for other posts by galderdi

Gizmo
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Posted: 19 August 2016 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Gizmo

Hi galderdi

The link to the latest event youtube video doesnt work.

Had a look at your youtube channel and facebook page. Very cool!

I think for short track racing like that EV's could be very competitive. Lots of torque, quick out of the corner. Tomorrow I'm off to the Leaburn Sprints ( http://www.leyburnmotorsprints.com.au/, its a short street racing track, and has been going for decades. Wide range of vehicles, like vintage, muscle and later model. An electric would fit right in.

Glenn

The Back Shed
JAQ Software
Back to Top View Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by Gizmo Visit Gizmo's Homepage

galderdi

Posted: 29 September 2016 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote galderdi

Thanks, Once I iron the bugs out it should be quite competitive in street sprints like Leyburn. I have done a few of those sort of events in my 240z but the EV (Batt mobile) should be way more competitive in these events where top speed isn't all that important.

I blew up the controller at my last event. I think it was a good thing because I think that controller was always falling short of my expectations. It forced me down the upgrade path. I have a replacement controller now and it should be way better. It is much smarter, providing me with the ability to control the limits and output data so I can see what is going on. But also it is literally twice the capacity. In theory that should double my acceleration. But I doubt I will ever be game to push the limits quite that far. But realistically I expect to easily increase my current from the previous maximum of 350amps up to 600amps (well short of the 1000amp limit of the new controller)

galderdi

Posted: 29 November 2016 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote galderdi

I made it to the final event for 2016. It was the Interclub motorkhana. The car and driver both performed fairly well. I managed to secure 6th place outright. That put me ahead of 8 out of the 10 Porsches and all 4 Caterhams.

There is still pleanty of room for improvement. The controller kept defaulting to 500amps instead of providing the full potential (circa 800amps maybe more). Plus I was using up some very old, very hard tyres. Heat was a concern. The air temp was around 35 degrees. As the motor built heat during each run it was unable to shed the heat and much of it was flowing into the controller (not a good thing). I will be adding some extra precautions to protect the system.

I have made a list of adjustments to make before the next season begins.

Here are my videos from Sunday:
Interclub Motorkhana 27 Nov 2016

galderdi

Posted: 10 January 2017 at 3:54am | IP Logged Quote galderdi

I managed to place 1st in class for khanacross and 2nd in class for motorkhana. Not bad considering it was largely a development year.

I have modified my rear lower control arms. They are now adjustable. I can wind them in or out to control the Toe and camber. I have also added a heat shield between the motor and controller.

I am really looking forward to the 2017 season.

joebog1

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 1:23am | IP Logged Quote joebog1

I must say its bloody good to see !! I had thought that motorkhana was dead!!
In the 80,s I ran many a khana and sponsored quite a few, BUT for Alfa Romeo,s. ( AROCA )
35 years later I look at what you have made, and you do deserve a pat on the back!!.
I had a poke around youchoob and found, I think your first effort, filmed from outside the car. Its fast!!! AND its only the beginning!! Some more film from outside, rather than inside, is very much more entertaining.
EXCELLENT work, even if its not quite "on topic" , BUT it is totally on topic. I may not be around to see it, but with new battery technology, and fancy magnetics ( read rare earth) electric cars WILL be the future, unless we can invent plasma drives.

TOP NOTCH
!!!!

Joe
Back to Top View joebog1's Profile Search for other posts by joebog1

galderdi

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote galderdi

joebog1 wrote:
I must say its bloody good to see !! I had thought that motorkhana was dead!!
In the 80,s I ran many a khana and sponsored quite a few, BUT for Alfa Romeo,s. ( AROCA )
35 years later I look at what you have made, and you do deserve a pat on the back!!.
I had a poke around youchoob and found, I think your first effort, filmed from outside the car. Its fast!!! AND its only the beginning!! Some more film from outside, rather than inside, is very much more entertaining.
EXCELLENT work, even if its not quite "on topic" , BUT it is totally on topic. I may not be around to see it, but with new battery technology, and fancy magnetics ( read rare earth) electric cars WILL be the future, unless we can invent plasma drives.

TOP NOTCH
!!!!

Joe

Wow, Thanks Joe. That is the best thought out response I have received.
Motorkhana is pretty much dying although we are still trying to save it. Noise is one issue, people just won't put up with it anywhere where there is bitumen. But also shopping centres are now open 7 days a week so venues are scarce. If we all drove electric cars motorkhana could have a revival as the noise is greatly reduced.

If you thought those old videos were fast you really need to see my latest. In these I turned up the wick to 790amps (previously I was at 500amps). The difference is obvious / spectacular. Plus I am considering how much higher I can take it. All indications are another 200 amps so long as its not a super hot day.

Check these out:

With GPS:
With GPS
With GPS

360 degree
360 degree
360 degree
360 degree
360 degree

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register