<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Phil23
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 September 2016 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Phil23

On a slightly irrelevant note, just looked at the backups folder.

I've got 800 plus files in there. That's Ok.

But can anyone suggest a good means of searching in them.

What would work is if I could copy "*Com Monitor*.bas" to say Com Monitor.txt, just basically concatenating the 123 files matching the mask into one text file.
(The 123 files I currently see would be about 2 Meg).

Then it would just be a matter of searching the text file in NotePad ++ to see variations of a particular Sub.

Phil

Back to Top View Phil23's Profile Search for other posts by Phil23

Phil23
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Phil23

Just resurrected some DOS brain cells.....

Something like this works.

Copy "201608*Com Monitor*.bas" Test.txt

Phil.
Back to Top View Phil23's Profile Search for other posts by Phil23

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Notepad++ also has a 'search in files' option which can be handy.
(So does Windows but that's too old hat)

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 23 September 2016 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

TassyJim wrote:
move Leading and Trailing spaces

Jim

dammit! and I looked everywhere!

cheers
Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

lizby
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 April 2017 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote lizby

Don't know if this is the right place to post, but since rumor has it that a new version of MMEDit is brewing, I have several suggestions (currently using V 3.6.10).

1. Make ^C, ^X, ^V more orthodox with respect to other Windows programs.

2. Ditto for Find and Replace.

3. In Tera Term, XMODEM transfer is quicker than file upload in MMEDIT, but clunkier to invoke. Would it be possible to make the MMEDIT upload use XMODEM, with either the current file if the text has been saved, or a temporary file if it hasn't or has been crunched?

4. I don't know if it's just me, but I sometimes experience a good bit of difficulty connecting. It never finds the uMite. I have to connect to a non-existent serial port, which fails, then connect to the right serial port, which fails, unplug and plug back in the USB, and then it works. This hasn't happened with Tera Term (but I really want to use MMEdit's crunching routine, and may soon really need to). (I've had these problem with MuPv3s, E-28s, and an E-64).

(By the way, since MMBasic correctly reports line numbers for errors, how does MMEdit handle lines which are crunched to non-existence, e.g., comment lines--does it send empty lines?)

Thanks very much for your work on this quite useful program.

Edited by lizby on 01 April 2017 at 12:32am
Back to Top View lizby's Profile Search for other posts by lizby

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 April 2017 at 2:13am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

lizby wrote:

1. Make ^C, ^X, ^V more orthodox with respect to other Windows programs.

I often cut and paste within my program and to and from other windows programs without any difficulty. Where are the shortcuts different from the standard ones?

lizby wrote:

2. Ditto for Find and Replace.

I agree that this is an area that could be better. It is also an area that varies a lot between programs so there is no 'standard'.

lizby wrote:

3. In Tera Term, XMODEM transfer is quicker than file upload in MMEDIT,

First up, TeraTerm is a much better terminal program than MMEdit will ever be. But, MMEdit DOES use XMODEM to transfer the file when using 'load and run'. MMEdit uses AUTOSAVE when using the chat window transfer.
MMEdit does a lot more than just XMODEM and, based on lots of experience with many users over the years, I have adopted a 'slow and steady wins the race' philosophy.
USB serial ports can be a problem. If they reset while a program has them open, Windows tends to get confused. You need to disconnect (and possibly close your program down, unplug and reinsert the USB device then restart/reconnect your program.
TeraTerm is better but can still have problems.
Use a separate USB-TTL device so it doesn't get reset.

lizby wrote:

how does MMEdit handle lines which are crunched to non-existence, e.g., comment lines

MMEdit keeps a table of old and new line numbers so it can (usually) find the correct line again.
Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

lizby
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 April 2017 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote lizby

I'm sorry that I didn't clarify that I was talking about the console log where ^C didn't work (and ^x and ^v don't apply--my mistake).

Regarding Find, I often have to hit ^F more than once for the Find box to appear. Then would be helpful if the cursor were in the Find text box (where ^v pastes text you are trying to find), and then <Enter> would activate the FIND button, or for subsequent occurrences, FIND AGAIN.

If you switch to MMEdit with Alt+TAB, ^F doesn't work until you have clicked in the edit area.

"Use a separate USB-TTL device so it doesn't get reset."

This appears to help a lot--but reduces the plug and play appeal of, for instance, the MuPv3, E-28, and E-64.

Edited by lizby on 01 April 2017 at 3:53am
Back to Top View lizby's Profile Search for other posts by lizby

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 April 2017 at 4:10am | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

both the MuPv3 and E-28 have the USB-to-serial bridge as separate device from the (MX170) micromite, using a PIC16F1455. the E-64 is the only one with the USB integrated into the (MX470) micromite.

there was talk a while back of the next revision of the E-64 using the 1455 instead of the onboard USB, but i don't know how far that idea ever went. are folks having any less problems recently with the USB in the same chip as mmbasic? one major advantage of the 1455 is that it can also act as an ICSP programmer for firmware updates.

cheers,
rob :-)
Back to Top View robert.rozee's Profile Search for other posts by robert.rozee

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 April 2017 at 5:22am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

lizby wrote:
I was talking about the console log where ^C didn't work

^C doesn't but you can right click and select copy. It would be difficult to implement the keyboard shortcuts in that window.
If you use the VT100 mode, there is no copy ability but you can switch between modes (most of the time)

lizby wrote:
Regarding Find, I often have to hit ^F more than once for the Find box to appear. Then would be helpful if the cursor were in the Find text box (where ^v pastes text you are trying to find), and then <Enter> would activate the FIND button, or for subsequent occurrences, FIND AGAIN.

A lot of the keyboard shortcuts are 'sluggish' unfortunately, especially when the chat window is also open. The problems of using an interpreted language.

lizby wrote:

If you switch to MMEdit with Alt+TAB, ^F doesn't work until you have clicked in the edit area.

The editor control is a 'scintilla' control which sits inside a normal window. When you first return to the editor, the initial message that that is the active window seems to get lost. I have failed in my attempts to intercept that message so there will always be an issue there. It happens when you switch to that window by clicking in it also, you need a second click, and it annoys me (and others) too.

Jim

Edited by TassyJim on 01 April 2017 at 5:45am

MikeO

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote MikeO

Hi Jim , I had loaded the latest MMEdit from your web site 3.7 I think but it has given me grief a couple of occasions so i had to go back to previous version. It happens when i save the document,it seems to copy part of the program again plus a load of control char, sorry its not a very clear screen shot.

Edited by MikeO on 27 May 2017 at 11:25am

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Mike,
I can't look at it for a couple of weeks but what version of Windows are you running?
Showing control codes for part of the edit window is strange and not an area I have much control over. I suspect it could be the DLL that does those fancy bits.

I will experiment when I get home.

Jim

MikeO

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote MikeO

Hi Jim, I should have said of course. I am using windows 10 on two machines and have seen the problem on both. I wonder how many others may have seen it if they have updated or perhaps its just a windows10 combination issue.

Cheers Mike

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version