Subject Topic: Diodes on star centre connection Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 4
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
DaveP68

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 June 2017 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote DaveP68

Hi oztules

This explains why I was maxing out at 40 Amps and you got 45 Amps.

To date haven't done any high RPM short circuit testing, as didn't see the point for a net Zero output result.

So did a high RPM short circuit tests and the maximum current I got was 44.25 Amps. My shunt was proving to be accurate after all.

So at high RPM my figure of 40 Amps into a practical load still stands as an upper limit, but not quite maximum.

Did try a few different rotor caps to check how close they were at maximum current. Most maxed out around 44 amps with readings of between 43.4 and 44.25 Apms. Also another factor is the variation from stator to stator which is why your stator could be 0.75 Amps higher again than mine. This is of course conditional on your 45 Amp reading being very accurate.

Back to Top View DaveP68's Profile Search for other posts by DaveP68

oztules
Guru
Guru

Posted: 20 June 2017 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote oztules

Accuracy was of no concern to me in those tests, the only thing I was interested in was the theory, and if it was to hold water... which I have not been able to prove in any way shape or form.

I only wanted to see change, and i didn't much care what the empirical figures actually represented... in this case I reckon it was pretty close to what it purported to show.

So the short circuit figure, while interesting, is of no real use, other than to explore the losses in the stator.....Nice to see you got the same magnitude though.

I am intent on making the IC genny version, so will heed your advise, and perhaps band the outside perimeter.

I think that one of these connected to a <200 dollar electric start motor on ebay will be pretty nice to use... simple and idiot proof perhaps.

.........oztules

DaveP68

Posted: 20 June 2017 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote DaveP68

Hi oztules

Can't help myself on the accuracy part of my readings, probably to do with working in aviation in the past and having to follow strict rules or you could be killed.

Will try replicating the test you did by removing a phase to observe the jump in current from 20 25 amps you noticed. Have an idea why but want to check it out for myself.

If you can get hold of a copper 36 pole stator with a black rotor cap they will output more power for the same RPM or same power at lower RPM by a factor of 40%.

You can of course stick with your 80s 14x 1p star that's already working very well though.
Back to Top View DaveP68's Profile Search for other posts by DaveP68

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 4
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version