Home  |  Contents 
Windmills
  Forum Index : Windmills         Section
Subject Topic: f n p gridtie windturbine, triple stator Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
brucedownunder2
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 June 2017 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote brucedownunder2

Ok,
I,Ve got the same hydraulic motorbike disc and caliber with the master cylinder waiting for this lazy ol codger to get going again..
I haven,t seen the black rotors yet,may have to do some scrounging like the old days,lol.
What type or any telltales on the washing machines to look for Without me having to pull the bum off the machines.

I,Ve got Trev,s housing,will have to mod a shaft or invent a new type.

Did anyone find out if any car splined connectors fit the f and p spline

I had a long look many years ago and thought a Toyota Corolla tail shaft was fairly close ,but I think f and p have machined their own precise spline size,, phill would know,bet he,s watching,hi phill.

Thanks for re vitalising the f and p. Topic . She,s a goog all round diy starter for us guys,and fairly cheap and plenty full source of basic parts.

Hope I,m not busting into your thread too much

Bruce

Back to Top View brucedownunder2's Profile Search for other posts by brucedownunder2

flc1

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 1:56am | IP Logged Quote flc1

Yea Bruce ,go to the dump Ha!
Thats where I get most of mine, and they have no cover on the bottom so just have a look underneath, black rotors are harder to get off,you almost need 3 hands to get it off, easy if sombody is with you to undo the bolt as you pull the rotor.
Leave the stator that the black cap comes off,, it will probably have aluminium wire on it, look for the white rotor cap with the 5 knobs around the outside edge,thats an arrowhead cap, and it will be on a copper 36 pole stator.
I used a female f n p shaft to thread onto the double f n p shaft that Trev sent me, first I drilled out the female shaft end just deep enough to allow the two shafts milled faces to meet, one face at the beginning of the threaded hole and the other at the base of the male thread on the other shaft, so the
two shafts come together firm ,with no sideways movement when tightened.
But the two shafts will undo under brakeing deceleration ,so I cut a small peice out of the side of the female spline so you can see the last half inch long peice of male thread inside the female spline,so the hole is cut about 15 mm in from the end of the spline,,, and weld that thread to the female shaft, ,so once the rotors are on the shaft they are there permanatly,you can slide the rotors along the shaft out of the road of stators etc because Trev has put a spline along most of the male shaft,and bearing housings can be removed from opposite ends of the shafts when joined,just don't weld the shaft untill you have completed everything else,incase you make a mistake with design or whatever and need to remove the rotors or seperate the shafts.Other stuff you will work out as you go,just don't weld the shafts untill you have finnished everything else,,
I think it would be better if you could make a spline that slides tight over the connection of the two shafts,so you don't have to weld them, and held in place with a grub screw.I think Trev might have the cutting bits to make one? Could ask him? But you then have to drill out part of the spline on one of the rotor caps,
I found its just easier to weld them

Edited by flc1 on 30 June 2017 at 2:28am
Back to Top View flc1's Profile Search for other posts by flc1

flc1

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote flc1

joining the two shafts

flc1

Posted: 30 June 2017 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote flc1

deciding if I should use 4 or 5 blades, after descussions with Dave, may go with 4

DaveP68

Posted: 02 July 2017 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote DaveP68

Hey Fred, look forward to the results you get from this new improved F&P wind turbine. Your inspiring me to get my a into g and put my blade to use too.
Back to Top View DaveP68's Profile Search for other posts by DaveP68

flc1

Posted: 02 July 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote flc1

will leave the brake on manual operation with the switch ,but have the auto furling, going to change all 3 stators to 3 uncut stators rewired to delta,same black caps, and going to go with high voltage inverter, no cap doublers, no 45-90 volt inverters, they are being sold to help finnance high voltage inverter. yea Dave go hard and build a turbine, I know where you can get some inverters lol.

flc1

Posted: 02 July 2017 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote flc1

uncut 36 pole ,rewired as delta

flc1

Posted: 04 July 2017 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote flc1

Does anybody have any rpm and wind speed data for these type of blade with a set of 3 or more, at or near 3 meter diameter?

Edited by flc1 on 04 July 2017 at 1:46am

domwild
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 July 2017 at 2:50am | IP Logged Quote domwild

Great build! Am green with envy!

Without looking too closely, I would be worried about the shaft diameter. I suspect the prop has to have a much thicker shaft and bearings?

Winston Churchill
Back to Top View domwild's Profile Search for other posts by domwild

flc1

Posted: 06 July 2017 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote flc1

Yep, I understand your concern, but you would be doing well to snap one of those shafts with a sledge hammer.they are strong shafts.But I would not be keen to go much bigger than 3m diameter, I have not heard of anybody snapping a shaft yet , has anybody on here had a shaft snap?

Edited by flc1 on 06 July 2017 at 8:43am

DaveP68

Posted: 06 July 2017 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote DaveP68

Hi Fred

I work on the machines that these shaft come from and have never heard of one ever suffering from and bending or shearing of even at 1000 + RPM.

You'll be fine & good luck with the new set up, hope all goes well and look forward to the results being published on here.

Cheers

David
Back to Top View DaveP68's Profile Search for other posts by DaveP68

flc1

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote flc1

Just an update incase sombody is actualy interested lol, I have ended up buying the 1.2kw high voltage inverter , It was going to be the 3kw model but with useing 3 stators I would have to have one dumpload controller for each stator,the controllers are ac in dc out,the cost of the 3 controllers was the same as the inverter so doubled the price for that setup.
So I have just gone with 1 high voltage inverter and controller for 1 stator,uncut 36 copper with black cap and wired as delta ,and the other 2 stators will be useing the 45-90 vdc inverters, they come with there own built in dumpload,
And back to a third cut (3x4c) star ,copper 36 pole with black cap, and a 6th cut(6x2c) star 36pole copper with black cap,and both with the cap doublers.
I was going to use a delta 6x2c cut stator, But after running it up with the drill I found the cut in rpm was too high and the stator would be doing little work unless we get some higher wind, I dont want that,most of the wind here is low to medium ,so useing it in star rather than delta lowered the cutin rpm and it will be more usefull.
When I ran the 3 stators up with the drill I noticed that there was a small vibration , I think one of the shafts may have a slight bend in it or my joint between the two shafts is not perfect, but its nothing that Im worried about.its not a big vibration.
Will all be finnished soon..(happy wife = happy life),,Just sorting out wireing down the pole and a few other small things, then it will be up and running,,,, hopefully.

Edited by flc1 on 29 July 2017 at 8:02am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version