<< Prev Page of 2
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Trev
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 December 2017 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote Trev

We have also set about making another pontoon shape. Plastic coated timber was used for the temporary mold. Made one pontoon and filled with foam.

Today we laid the first layer of glass in the mold for the second pontoon.

Back to Top View Trev's Profile Search for other posts by Trev Visit Trev's Homepage

Trev
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Trev

Middle section is now complete, ready to put the pontoons on, but a little more patching of some holes in the top of the second pontoon to do, before that can happen. I need the top of the foam to be flat because the top will just have a fibreglass skin straight on the foam.

brucedownunder2
Guru
Guru

Posted: 30 December 2017 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote brucedownunder2

Very interesting Trev.

Did some fibreglassing way back in the 80-s when I was into skiff sailing .Q cells were the new idea for shaping those days ,light as a feather and easy to sand,shape.

Anyhow ,following your progress-guess it's finished by now ,lol.?

A late Merry Xmas to you and family and a happy ,safe new year .

Bruce and Ilda

Trev
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote Trev

Thanks for the wishes Bruce. Happy new year to you and Glenn and all the viewers. May this be a great year for you all.

Yes Bruce I need to update the pictures hey. Here we go..........

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Happy new year Trev, boats looking good. Be interesting to see the performance figures against the older pontoons
Those batts are bloomin great, they are outlasting a pair of 120ah LA,s for the fridge, amazing how much power they pack into such a small package
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

Trev
Guru
Guru

Posted: 01 January 2018 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Trev

Rego done (the day after Christmas, after boxing day) and number painted on. Had lots of family here over Christmas / New Years and many named it Kerme (the green frog) so that's the name on the side.

Headed off to the water. Of course in my EV Hilux. This Electric Hilux is my primary vehicle, it goes everywhere. My younger brother and his wife took these pictures.

Good balance sitting still in the water.

No performance numbers. This is like a bath tub. It filled up with water very quickly, drenched all my electronic gear. Dad's tape measure stuffed, and my multimeter don't work anymore. I haven't tried to switch anything else on yet. Flotation is excellent, with all the extra water, no problem, it cannot sink. The water runs out the 2 big holes in the transom.

Going by feel. The boat probably goes a little better than the pipe, but nothing significant. It plows a lot. Very good in the waves from the other boats around us. Very stable and smooth. Cuts through the waves very easily. But could not get up on the plane. The electric outboard is a 20HP, so no spare power available.

We had a little fun driving it around. It can pull a knee board but a bit slow.

Back to the shed to think how to make it better. We have been working on it, but I will post again another time.

edit: just had to fix one picture

Edited by Trev on 01 January 2018 at 9:55pm

Trev
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 January 2018 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Trev

We added another pontoon width to each side.

We made the front inside of the pontoon straight to reduce the funnel effect channeling water through the tunnel. The water through the tunnel was about 50mm lower than before.

Left the top of the added section open at the front, just wanted to test the extra planing surface before we finished it off. The water spray over the bow was much better, a lot less. The open top of the new section did not take on any significant amount of water either.

The water over the transom (motor mount) was no different, the water though the tunnel still hit the outboard leg and shoots up over the transom (motor mount board). It can't sink, the water just runs back out the holes. Next is to lift the motor higher. The boat was definitely faster with the double pontoon. It felt like it was getting up on the plane. The pontoon transom cleared of all water at 11km/hr and 61A, battery voltage 52v.

Speeds and currents.
4km/hr 12A
6km/hr 23A
10km/hr 54A
11km/hr 61A
14km/hr 95A
18km/hr 128A
22km/hr 189A
24km/hr 191A

Edited by Trev on 07 January 2018 at 4:37pm

Trev
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Trev

We lifted the motor mount by 180mm. Just made a temporary ply board.
By the time we got to the water, the ply had a crack both front and back, so did not risk going in the water. We removed the motor and ply for the trip back home.

Fitted some steel angle to support the ply.
Then off to the water to again to test. The cav plate was level with the surface of the water at rest, which turned out to be too high. As soon as power was applied, the prop cavitated. We did manage to get it up on the plane once by going around in circles to increase the water level in the tunnel. No speed record, the GPS was flat.

So we cut 50mm off the top of the ply and went to the water again.
Speeds and currents are better, but not significantly different to before. Gained 1km/hr top end speed.

Speed and current
5.2 km/hr 10.3A
6.6 km/hr 15.1A
7.6 km/hr 21.8A
9.7 km/hr 42.9A
11 km/hr 52A
14.1 km/hr 93A
17.2 km/hr 123A
19 km/hr 150A
25 km/hr 189A

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Not too shabby, I get about 35 by the gps with 25hp on a 4.2m glass hull flat out- but it empties the (little) tank in about an hour doing that, cutting it back to 1/2 power I get about 20kmh but over 2 hrs -nearly 3...

Its a heavy boat tho, right at the limit for a unbraked trailer when it had the big inbuilt tank filled right up, dont use that tank atm as it has a leak and puddles fuel at the back next to the motor, not good

So you're getting pretty good speed out of it, have you weighed it yet?

Trev
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Trev

Thanks for your input Boppa. I was wondering, how do I compare to a petrol outboard. I want to run a 20HP petrol on this boat to compare but I don't want to own a 20HP petrol motor.

Yes we did weigh it.
As originally made, 114kg .
With the second pontoon width added, 130kg.
Golden Motor weight is 50kg.
Lithium batteries, 48v (16 cells) x 100Ah-B, plus box, 72kg

The Golden Motor is 10kW. At 52v x 189A = 9828W. My conversion makes 10kW to be 13.4HP. But they say it has the performance of a 20HP petrol.

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Comparing outboards in hp is always misleading as so much depends on things like prop pitch, revs etc that its hard to directly match HP to speed.

A mate of mine had a 50(I think) hp motor that had been fitted by the previous owner with a racing/ skiing prop, he replaced it with a 75 stock, and actually went slower. Many manufacturers fit a prop that will peak below redline, so much so that many can never actually get to their redline. This is a good idea in one sense as many outboards dont have instruments on them, and many boat owners simply run 'flatout', so setting up the motors in this way stops people blowing their motors up

I have a little 78lb electric trolling motor that came with two props- one is a hard plastic jobby that gets about 5kmh, the other is a floppy 'jelly' prop, meant for mangroves etc, same size, same pitch, but only makes 2kmh (due to its bending I suspect)- it really is 'floppy' and you can bend the tips back to the hub!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 2
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version