Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 September 2017 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Norton's is my least liked antivirus.
Now they have listed my website as "known dangerous website"

I can't see any signs of tampering and if I want to find out any more I have to sign up with Norton's and spend too much time stuffing around at their beg and call.

The reason 'might' be because I am redirecting all http traffic to https but who knows?
That's the only change I have made this year.

At this stage, I am very tempted to just close the website totally and give up producing software for others to use. I've got better things to do with my time than put up with companies like Norton's.

I guess they could be right so I should kill the website immediately, just in case...

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

It may be because the domain name has "com.com" in it. so it has got all twitchy thinking it's a phishing site (i.e. paypal.com.com is definitely not somewhere I would visit) - or maybe that there are "raw" EXE files for download

see

https://www.symantec.com/security_response/attacksignatures/detail.jsp?asid=24312

and

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/malicious-site-malicious-domain-request-2-4

It is a common, very blunt, algorithmic decision - and something new? (have you checked this before)

I understand how you feel with big-corps using their weight to sway opinion, but people really appreciate what you do Jim... Nil Desperandum and all that.

I know you are in a different place professionally now, and I am glad you are getting out to play - if you want somewhere to host your stuff, please feel free to make articles here and you can still do what you like without the headache of all the other fluff. This is a genuine offer extended to the whole community - I am not touting for business.

Edited by CaptainBoing on 07 September 2017 at 6:13am

all you need is duct tape and WD40 (if it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape; if it doesn't move and should, use WD40)
Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

some of my programs are now being rejected by anti-virus software, which is proving to be quite a pain. in one case as soon as i compiled the source code and tried to run it, AVG would delete the executable!

my fear is that this is something that will just get worse over the coming years. there will be money to be made in getting the anti-virus companies to 'approve' your programs, or having them placed in the microsoft software store. i'd imagine the end-game will something like the apple store, except for windows 10.

the same will (as you are observing) happen to websites. anti-virus software is starting to get very aggressive about 'persuading' users to install extra modules for identity protection, website screening, etc. even now, some of these features are reported as no longer being able to be deselected or turned off.

cheers,
rob :-)
Back to Top View robert.rozee's Profile Search for other posts by robert.rozee

Phil23
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Phil23

TassyJim wrote:
Norton's is my least liked antivirus.
Now they have listed my website as "known dangerous website"

The reason 'might' be because I am redirecting all http traffic to https but who knows?
That's the only change I have made this year.

I've had this on my Cumulus Weather Website.

A total false positive. No changes; scoured it for any tampering; tested it from other websites & it was all clean.

Had to jump thru Symantec's automated response system to have it flagged clean.

What Peaved me most was it's reflection on MY ability's amongst my clients.

Fortunately many clients already have a bad taste for anti-virus companies...

Phil.
Back to Top View Phil23's Profile Search for other posts by Phil23

Phil23
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Phil23

And......

When you check things out elsewhere, it usually tests as clean.

Phil.
Back to Top View Phil23's Profile Search for other posts by Phil23

Boppa

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

I stopped using Nortons back when I was still on 98SE- and never seen a single reason to go back to it

Storys like this continuing year after year make me basically ignore anything by or reported by nortons unless it is confirmed by a reputable company

(I consider them to be only a small step above being malware themselves, what with the inability to remove it without specialized software tools supplied by other companies and the total controlling of what you can and cant do on your own system)
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

paceman
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote paceman

It would be quite a shame (and big loss to us all) to see you have to do that Jim. I think Rob and CaptainB are probably right on the money with their comments.

Norton has been a PITA for years, I gave up on it well over a decade ago after multiple bouts of router problems with it. It's not even very good at its core job when you look at the various virus detection tests done over the years. The last notepad I bought new was a Win7 i5 ASUS about six years ago and Norton was part of the 'free' crapware loaded and cocked ready to go on that. Of course it was only 'free' for a short period and it took me quite a while to figure out how to get rid of it. No doubt ASUS and Norton shared the spoils from those who couldn't get rid of it.

Greg
Back to Top View paceman's Profile Search for other posts by paceman

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Norton's AV is one of the world's biggest bloatwares. I have not bothered with Nortons for years and years. I ACTIVELY try to talk clients out of using it on their machines, because if you don't have a reasonably zippy machine anyway, Nortons will make a slower machine run like a snail, cos it is always checking things in the background, and gobbling up all the PC's resources. It seems a bit like a knee-jerk reaction to AV these days - Nortons.

Some people will always get bitten by viruses, but you'd be surprised how many people can be educated on what NOT to do on the net, and what attachments NOT to open etc, etc, etc that they can protect themselves with only minimalistic AV software.

Jim wrote:
At this stage, I am very tempted to just close the website totally and give up producing software for others to use. I've got better things to do with my time than put up with companies like Norton's.

Please don't underestimate your CONSIDERABLE contribution to the entire Micromite ecosystem. Without MMEDIT, The MicroMite would not be as pleasurable a system to work on. Not to take away from the built-in editor, but a proper IDE with coloured syntax makes development so much less stressful then it otherwise could be, so you have done some absolutely brilliant work, Jim, and please don't let stupid Nortons - or anyone else for that matter - tell you anything different.

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

Boppa wrote:
I consider them to be only a small step above being malware themselves, what with the inability to remove it without specialized software tools supplied by other companies and the total controlling of what you can and cant do on your own system

so true... them and LogMeIn

all you need is duct tape and WD40 (if it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape; if it doesn't move and should, use WD40)

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

Grogster wrote:

Please don't underestimate your CONSIDERABLE contribution to the entire Micromite ecosystem. Without MMEDIT, The MicroMite would not be as pleasurable a system to work on. Not to take away from the built-in editor, but a proper IDE with coloured syntax makes development so much less stressful then it otherwise could be, so you have done some absolutely brilliant work, Jim, and please don't let stupid Norton - or anyone else for that matter - tell you anything different.

+1

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Grogster wrote:

Please don't underestimate your CONSIDERABLE contribution to the entire Micromite ecosystem.

This latest issue was brought to my attention by a prospective new micromite user. His shock of being led to a malicious web site has probably frightened him of micromites altogether.

This is why I am so upset. I can live without the domain name I have had for close on 20 years, but I don't want to be responsible for any tarnish to the maximite name.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

KeepIS

Posted: 07 September 2017 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote KeepIS

This is now so common that very few internet users have not come across it, as other have said, almost every program I write and compile gets fagged and put in the virus bin by my current stupid AV SW, I switch off the program launch scanner in the crap thing.

I refuse to used NORTON AV because of the arrogance they show in attempting to take total control of the OS, and in some previous version made it very difficult to remove once installed, some AV programs leave hidden processors ruining even after removal. That is a virus as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with others on the great work you have done.

I always contact the site owner just to give them a heads up, most are aware of the problem with AV software and false positives.

Page of 3 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version