Subject Topic: MMedit web site Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
VK2MCT

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 September 2017 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote VK2MCT

Jim,
I can access your website and download exe without getting warnings ?
I'm using Firefox.
John.

Back to Top View VK2MCT's Profile Search for other posts by VK2MCT

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

VK2MCT wrote:
Jim,
I can access your website and download exe without getting warnings ?
I'm using Firefox.
John.

The problem only appears if you use Norton's products as far as I know.
Norton's might be linked to some web browsers but I don't know which, if any.

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

Gizmo
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote Gizmo

I feel your pain TassyJim. TheBackShed has had its fair share of false positives, and the loops I've had to jump through to get it off a black list.

20 years ago the internet was fun.

Glenn

The Back Shed
JAQ Software
Back to Top View Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by Gizmo Visit Gizmo's Homepage

Bill.b

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 1:54am | IP Logged Quote Bill.b

I have no problems with win 10 Edge and McAfee total protection.

Bill

paceman
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 3:32am | IP Logged Quote paceman

TassyJim wrote:
This latest issue was brought to my attention by a prospective new micromite user. His shock of being led to a malicious web site has probably frightened him of micromites altogether.
This is why I am so upset. I can live without the domain name I have had for close on 20 years, but I don't want to be responsible for any tarnish to the maximite name.

Yes fair point Jim. I think you're probably worrying too much about that - but the reputation of the C-Com website name is still affected some.

It might be useful to have Geoff contact Silicon Chip and get them to put something (an Editorial?) in the next edition to highlight this problem, using Norton and C-Com as an example. SC have some skin in this as well given the number of projects they've published about Maxi/Micromites over the years. SC could also contact Norton and request they remove the black-listing or face continuing bad publicity in SC which has considerable global distribution.

Greg
Back to Top View paceman's Profile Search for other posts by paceman

GoodToGo!

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 3:52am | IP Logged Quote GoodToGo!

CaptainBoing wrote:
Grogster wrote:

Please don't underestimate your CONSIDERABLE contribution to the entire Micromite ecosystem. Without MMEDIT, The MicroMite would not be as pleasurable a system to work on. Not to take away from the built-in editor, but a proper IDE with coloured syntax makes development so much less stressful then it otherwise could be, so you have done some absolutely brilliant work, Jim, and please don't let stupid Norton - or anyone else for that matter - tell you anything different.

+1

+ another 1

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

paceman wrote:

It might be useful to have Geoff contact Silicon Chip and get them to put something (an Editorial?) in the next edition to highlight this problem, using Norton and C-Com as an example. SC have some skin in this as well given the number of projects they've published about Maxi/Micromites over the years. SC could also contact Norton and request they remove the black-listing or face continuing bad publicity in SC which has considerable global distribution.

Greg

That is a great idea and they are always looking for reasonable sized articles. It needs to be very thoughtful - I wouldn't mention specifics - it makes them targets. Remember these malware scumbags are VERY SMART - they have done their homework, and we don't want to give them the upper hand in such an article (yes they read this stuff too).

Any article should focus on reliable methods of verifying a site with a list of high-profile resources and not white-listing or encouraging ignorance. For all its faults Norton has raised a flag and in Jim's case, both probable causes for the red flag are common attack vectors... "if it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck..." is how the algorithm works. Better a false positive than none. One is reminded of the "boy who cried wolf"... It absolutely does not apply here but as faulted humans we tend to the obvious moral. We need to remain vigilant no matter how boring it gets.

Sad to say, each case has to be dealt with on it's own - even false positives have to be explored & rectified - just accept it or kill all scumbags. Even if Jim gives up his domain it should go on a blacklist immediately - some squatter will snag it (they watch for lapsing domains) and then it is available to the highest bidder - especially domains that have had a lot of traffic and been referenced elsewhere (how many favourites is he in?).

The only "safe" way to dump a domain with conscience is to buy a long lease on it and put up a "Bye-bye site closed" message that will be there for 5 years or so - then when it lapses, most interested people would have stopped visiting long ago and then any alerts either won't matter or will be true positives.

As Gizmo said... it used to be fun.

Remember the golden rule: They only have to be lucky once.

Edited by CaptainBoing on 08 September 2017 at 8:49am

all you need is duct tape and WD40 (if it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape; if it doesn't move and should, use WD40)
Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

Boppa

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

CaptainBoing wrote:

That is a great idea and they are always looking for reasonable sized articles. It needs to be very thoughtful - I wouldn't mention specifics - it makes them targets. Remember these malware scumbags are VERY SMART - they have done their homework, and we don't want to give them the upper hand in such an article (yes they read this stuff too).

Bit extreme Captain, calling Nortons smart....

OH you mean the OTHER malware scumbags...

Unfortunately many people say the same thing- Nortons false positives are far too common, and getting off their blacklist costs and is very hard to do (if not almost impossible)

Considering that in many cases peoples livelihoods are placed at risk if their income depends on a website for sales etc, and it could be put forward that Nortons could be liable for lost income due to a false positive reducing sales, it would be (IMHO) worth looking at a class action against Nortons for website owners affected by a false positive report on their website

I'm not normally one to push for such legal actions, but this has been an issue for YEARS with Nortons continuing to shrug their shoulders and say 'not our problem' about false positives- well yes, yes it IS your problem, its YOUR shonky scanners that cause the issue, and if it causes people to lose money, then it should be their right for Nortons to compensate the owner for any lost income from their website

/rant off

calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean....
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

do they charge? (it makes sense) but from their forum link I posted it earlier in this, it looks like people just posted their web pages and Norton "re-evaluated"... dunno how old the info is tho.

But you rant is well taken... conflicts of interest don't pay for themselves

all you need is duct tape and WD40 (if it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape; if it doesn't move and should, use WD40)
Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

Boppa

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

This might be of help
how-report-malware-or-false-positives-multiple-antivirus-vendors

7 YEARS of developers complaining about it....
(and quite a few suggesting a class action as being the only way forward at this point....)
http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/05/17/antivirus-companies-cause-a-big-headache-to-small-developers/
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

chronic
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote chronic

Quote:
contact Silicon Chip and get them to put something (an Editorial?) in the next edition

I doubt if software multinationals (or Net types in general) give a rats about SC, it has been increasingly irrelevant. There may have been a shakeup, I see Nick Vinen is now listed as Editor, hopefully the Rhodes Scholarship does not mean a continued anti-alternative brainwash.
ed- [Of course Rhodes didn't make any money from mining, did he ?!!]

Edited by chronic on 08 September 2017 at 1:25pm
Back to Top View chronic's Profile Search for other posts by chronic

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Firstly, thanks for the encouraging remarks. I value your support much more than Norton's

I registered with their site and requested a re-evaluation.
I received a reply saying my site has been re-evaluated but when I check, their site lists me as not evaluated. It will take 2 weeks to get evaluated.

So their internal system is as useless as their analysis software.

I have 18 months left on my domain rego so there is no rush with that. I will give it 2 weeks to see what happens then put a page up with my opinion of Norton's clearly stated on the page.

No amount of bitching to the press will help.
People spend good money on their protection software and should trust it more than an unknown individual. Having websites and software flagged as malicious only helps the user feel that their money has been well spent.

If I want to make my programs less likely to get canned, I have to pay good money to get a certificate. Self certifying doesn't work. Norton's own the certifying authority.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version