<< Prev Page of 3
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
yahoo2
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 11 September 2017 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote yahoo2

This graph shows the best system I can build, operated to perfection, the front row is what it costs in CASH, the back row is TOTAL COST of OWNERSHIP, finance, tax, everything.

So any off-grid solar system (red) not hitting the sweet spot will cost more than 24 cents/kwh.

The ongrid solar with diversion loads (light blue) can achieve under 16 cents at a range of installed solar capacities.

The average person buying new off the shelf (not custom build) can add up to 10 cents to my on-grid battery and off-grid prices.

I wrote that last post this morning and made sure my sources were good, and when I switched the radio on tonight all hell had broken loose, with personal threats against AGL from the govt, I kinda wish I had put it on a blog rather than here now. Supporting Liddel power station will destroy the financial incentives for installing new generation, I have read the AEMO report, it basically says that nothing needs to be done, as NSW will have four times the power it needs to replace Liddel installed by 2022.

The point I am trying to make is no homeowner should feel guilty about not pulling their weight or shamed into saving electricity for dubious reasons.

We shouldn't feel forced to install expensive battery systems for the good of the country or to protect ourselves from very unlikely power cuts. No-one should bear capital costs that are unnecessary.

We have done enough, and the numbers bear that out,
Australia's households generate more electricity than they use when it really matters

South Australia has a goal of being net zero emissions by 2050.

Households as a group are already there. It is someone else's turn to step up.

Edited by yahoo2 on 11 September 2017 at 2:44pm

Back to Top View yahoo2's Profile Search for other posts by yahoo2

pancho 43

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote pancho 43

I live near the Qld border (Brunswick Heads) and have two solar systems both 5.4KW.
The first was installed Dec 24 2010 at a cost of almost 24K. It has 24 225 watt Mitsubishi panels with 5KW SMA inverter. It has now produced almost 54,000 KWH and paid itself off in the first four years. The second system was fitted 23rd Nov last year and has so far produced over 6,400 KWH. It has 20 270 watt Jinco panels and 5 KW Growatt inverter. This system was $6,100 with 3 phase smart meter.
I installed the second system in preparation for going completely off-grid, thinking that I would have plenty of charging for those dull short winter days when it's raining.
Since Enova started up and paying the (previously) 12c FIT I changed from powershop to them and I've only had one bill from them. That was while it was only on the 12c FIT and to my surprise My bill was to the credit of $334.00.
I'm now looking forward to the next one to see how I go now I'm getting the 16c FIT.
I have a Granny-flat attached to my house and recently had the meters removed to alleviate the extra service availability charges. I told the Tenant that if he continues to be careful with his consumtion I will not be giving him a bill, so he's saving all the way around.
And so am I with the FIT and plenty of panels it looks at present as if things go as they are, I will not have to go to the expense of needing batteries and their replacement costs. The total average usage (after meter) has so far been around 6KWH/day for both households with solar hot water and the pool-pump etc. on timers for strong daylight use only.
Happy chappie whose not had to pay for power since Dec 2010 admittedly at some expense.

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by pancho 43 on 14 September 2017 at 7:12am
Back to Top View pancho 43's Profile Search for other posts by pancho 43

yahoo2
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 18 September 2017 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote yahoo2

Welcome Pete, that's what we like to hear! Rooftop solar working as it is supposed to.

Further to my post about how much solar is actually being produced. Audrey Zibelman (AEMO head honcho) and quite a few commentators have pointed out the same thing.

S.A. grid demand plunges to record low as rooftop solar share hits 48%

The interesting think about this graph is that the interconnector had a little hissy fit early in the morning and the price of electricity went negative (black line). So in theory you could be paid $44/MWh to use or store electricity, provided you could participate in the wholesale market. This is one of the reasons I am keen to see brokers services happening so that small players can get a slice of this. Over that 40 minutes I would have been paid 50 cents to receive 12 kwh.

That brings up the point of how pivotal that interconnector links are at the moment with no energy storage in the mix, today every state was exporting electricity that ultimately ended up in NSW.
I do worry that new generators are accepting 20 year fixed price contracts to get their finance rather than being fully funded and participating more in the market. I think that loss of marketing flexibility will mean opportunities to take advantage of fluctuating prices may be left to only a few entities.

Madness
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 September 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Madness

Roof top solar exceeding demand, the sky will fall down!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 3
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version