Page of 15 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grogster
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 October 2017 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I have a machine here, clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 to a 120GB SSD.
All that went fine. Activation went fine. So far, so good.

THEN W10 insisted on doing automatic updates, including installing OS upgrades.
This is when it went pear shaped. Laptop hung - KB and mouse would not work anymore, and nothing would even after an hour of leaving it like that. I forced a reboot. Windows update now stuck at 0% and won't update anything.

I did some research on the net, and found that this is VERY common - people have all kinds of hell with W10 updates so it would seem. Anyhoo, one solution I found was at admin command prompt to stop the four update services, delete the cache of downloads, then restart the process - sounds good.

Problem is when I try to NET STOP any of those three services(wuauserv, cryptSvc, bits and msiserver), they all report 'The Windows Update service could not be stopped.'. Attempts to delete or rename the SoftwareDistribution folder as suggested in another webpage is greeted by 'Access denied.', even though I am running cmd at admin level, and now I am totally stuck.

I f-ing hate Windows 10. This is a laptop I foolishly agreed to setup W10 on for a pal, but am starting to regret that now. W10 is the only windoze I am aware of, whose own update process can kill the system and create a whole list of problems that you have to fix before you can continue with where you were trying to go in the first place.....

Now, every time you reboot the machine, it keeps stating: 'Getting Windows ready. Don't turn off your computer' - this fails about five minutes later when the machine reboots itself - it does this on EVERY reboot now. As soon as the machine has rebooted, the CPU then runs at 100% even though you are doing nothing. There appears to be no network activity despite the CPU usage.

Does anyone else have any other bright ideas? At this point, I am about to flatten this machine and re-install from an ISO of W10 from the Microsuck website.

Oh, I REALLY hate Windows 10.
....and this is just ONE of the things about it that gets me so heated up.

Back to Top View Grogster's Profile Search for other posts by Grogster Visit Grogster's Homepage

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

there is much to be said for an XP or win7 image running in a VM under linux. that way linux supplies all te device drivers, and windows is just there to look pretty. the user needs never be aware of the underlying linux.

cheers,
rob :-)
Back to Top View robert.rozee's Profile Search for other posts by robert.rozee

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I never used to look at Linux much, but I have to say - perfectly honestly - that as a Windows user, with every new version of Windows, I study Linux more and more.

Way back when, I used to use Windows XP for my home server and media-player, but now I use Puppy Linux for the media server, as the latest versions include ext4 and they make it child's play to setup Samba shares so the other Windoze machines on the network can access it.

And it just works......
As opposed to Microsoft sharing where you have to jump through loop to get certain shares visible on the network. With Linux, you just install Samba, and setup samba.conf file the way you want, and bam - your shares are there and - shock, horror - can actually be used without having to fight the underlying OS to make it happen.

And I use a Raspberry-Pi with OpenElec Linux on it as the replacement mediaplayer, so more and more of us Windows users are turning to Linux now, cos it just does what is advertised on the box without all the MS hoop-jumping. Windows didn't used to be that bad, but some aspects of it now - I just hate with a vengeance.

I am just so over Windows 10 and all it's privacy sniffing among other things. I still run Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, and I still think this is a very under-rated Windows, once you turn off the Metro interface and install Classic Shell. I have had a great run on W8.1, and would not hesitate to install it again. I would not use W10 by choice.

Rant, rant, rant......

I have downloaded a new ISO of W10, and will make another clean-install. Hopefully today's ISO download will include the majority of all those OS updates as part of the standard clean install, but we'll see.

EDIT: I've checked the details of the W10 ISO I was using, and it was downloaded 25/10/2015, so that ISO is two years old, so it probably was not the wisest choice to install from that one anyway.

Edited by Grogster on 15 October 2017 at 3:42am

Alastair

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 4:34am | IP Logged Quote Alastair

G
sympathies - I worry every time Win10 does an update but so far only minor issues. I used XP for my work machine until the support stopped and too many apps would not run on it anymore.

Might I suggest that once you have a clean install of Win10 you make an image and store it on a HDD that is kept offline. Also make another image once you have loaded all the apps you plan to use. Doing this means that if you have another win10 event you can quickly restore the image and you are back to a good starting point.

As I am sure you are aware as you use windows it constantly makes changes to itself, especially the registry. After a while these changes will tend to slow windows down and can also cause startup to be slow. If you have a clean known image, once you feel the 'constipation' setting in you can restore the fresh image and start again. This does of course mean you will lose anything new but that can be overcome if you keep note along the way.

Computers make life sooo easy don't they !!!

Now go and have a lie down.
Back to Top View Alastair's Profile Search for other posts by Alastair

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 15 October 2017 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

I suggest that you wait a few days.
There is a new major update due out Tuesday (US time).

Download that ISO and there would be fewer updates - until next time.

I have to fix a keyboard error on my brother-in-laws PC tomorrow.
If he would only stop using the keyboard, there wouldn't be so may problems!

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

Herry

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote Herry

I use my computer for work as well as ignorantly tinkering. Long ago I decided that W10 was not for me! I have installed 'Never10' and go on happily using my W7 (I hated W8 too...). If ever locked out of that I will go Linux too.

OA47
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote OA47

Quote:
I have to fix a keyboard error on my brother-in-laws PC tomorrow.
If he would only stop using the keyboard, there wouldn't be so may problems!

Jim, back in the days where I thought I new a little bit about PC's the staff and I used to talk about customers and their ID-10-T errors.
Back to Top View OA47's Profile Search for other posts by OA47

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Thanks, guys.

I have already flattened the old install, and clean-installed the 'New' ISO from Microsoft I downloaded today. I do note some quite different GUI prompts with this setup version over the old one, such as looking for(and downloading) updates as PART of the install process.

W10 installed fine this time, but it STILL wanted to update - it is doing it now.

@ Herry - Just out of interest, what is it about Win8 you did not like? Personally, I like W8 - once you tweak a couple of things, one of which is getting rid of the Metro GUI and booting directly to the desktop. Classic Shell is what I use to do both of those, and give me back a standard START button. I could not use Win8 as distributed with Metro and no start button....

Alastair

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote Alastair

TJ,
My only concern about a new release is that whilst it may fix some of the known problems, the track record of Microsoft is that it will surely have new 'undocumented features'. Now that I am very out of date with my Win knowledge I prefer to leave things to gel for some time and let the bright young nerds find the problems and create a new knowledge base.

I am not a Win hater but I do wish that one could tune Win10 like in the old days. I use/need about 10% of what it can do and so much of the complexity creates opportunities for bugs and security holes.

I used to write medical s/w way back when and the testing was very demanding. I would not touch it now, to validate s/w running on Win would be a nightmare. Much as I do not like Linux I am tempted to go that way with my next system, hopefully a while away.

I suspect that I will run one linux for my tinkering and keep a win system for routine stuff.

@G - glad you have overcome the challenges and are making progress.

Edited by Alastair on 15 October 2017 at 6:24am
Back to Top View Alastair's Profile Search for other posts by Alastair

Herry

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote Herry

W8. It was the Metro I/F! And I had too much going on to bother about how to change it! I also remember the debacle with DOS 4.01 (I think). And as a vb6 coder I simply do not trust them any more.

chronic
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote chronic

++...

I wonder, is an OS that needs frequent updates - at serious download cost - really fit-for-purpose ? A car that required work every few months would be called a lemon, and deserve it. As for the usual disingenuous psychology - "If we call it Creator, it will be more attractive" - well..."creative b@#$(%^t" sounds more like it.
Back to Top View chronic's Profile Search for other posts by chronic

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

@ Herry - Yeah, I kinda thought that might be the case. The underlying OS in Win8 is actually really good IMHO, once you get rid of Metro and put back a START button.

Well, the laptop has finished updating, and it seems happy - this time.

Still more hoop-jumping then you should have to do for an OS, IMO.

The OS is supposed to work for you, not you work for the OS......

Page of 15 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version