Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JohnS
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 December 2017 at 1:31am | IP Logged Quote JohnS

MicroBlocks wrote:
Running a 'repair' after basically installing a huge update to the OS is to be expected

Only in M$ land!!

John

Back to Top View JohnS's Profile Search for other posts by JohnS

MicroBlocks
Guru
Guru

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote MicroBlocks

I know. :) Aint it great, it is just one click, ok maybe two.
In Apple land it just doesn't work at all. Buy new!
And in Linux land you need to update the application too.
So all in all, not too bad from Microsoft. :)

JohnS
Guru
Guru

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote JohnS

I don't get the same issues with Linux as you say.

John

MicroBlocks
Guru
Guru

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote MicroBlocks

I guess the one you use most will cause the least problems.
Never had unexpected downtime with windows. (I skipped ME).
Linux never agreed with me. From non existend drivers for my particular hardware to unsolvable crashes, etc. I just wanted to get some feeling for it, but never felt the need to invest more time in it. For me that is perfectly fine because i can do everything i want and need already. Even my CNC and lasercutter run on windows without a problem, so maybe i am blessed by the windows gods. :) :)

KeepIS

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote KeepIS

Hi MicroBlocks, I must be blessed by the same windows Gods as you I have Office 2007 and every old program that doesn't rely on a driver that can't be upgraded still works under W10.

Latest major W10 FALL update installed like every other small and major OS update - 100% perfect. This system has a ton of SW on it that I use for programming both Windows applications and Micro-controller coding. Of course saying that means I'm labelled an MS fan boy, just can't remember the last time I purchased any MS products though.

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 03 December 2017 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

disco4now wrote:

Looks like it has stopped my Outlook 2003 from working.

I had the same issue with my Office 2003 installations.
It stopped me retrieving emails and, as you found, a 'repair' did exactly that.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Hello chums.

The Office 2007 thing - Try Open Office or Libre Office. I prefer the latter. I used to use Open Office, but it has grown in size to be just about the same size as Microsoft Office, whereas Libre Office is still quite lean, and works well - even on Windows ten.

My little Acer is working well since I made the changes outlined in the previous page of this thread. Turn off all the Microsoft guff - you will have a much more plesant Windows ten experience.

I still don't trust the automatic updates system, as has just been further illustrated here by disco4now's problems as soon as the latest update was installed on his/her system. The very fact that you then have to spend precious time FIGHTING the update to get the system settled down again post-update tells me to avoid the updates like the plague.

Yes, yes, I know. Some will think disabling the auto-updates is just about the worst thing you can do, but I have to tell you: when the auto-updater part of the system, is essentially another OS running on top of the core Windows OS in order to do the updates, and the updates tend to cause more problems then they fix most of the time with most people......well.....enough said. Sorry, auto-update fans.

People who have no problems at all with their auto-update, and are happy with all that in place - fine. I have no beef with you. Power to ya. I'm just saying what I do and why.

As to Linux, I find myself being drawn to it more and more these days as I get more and more technical with what I do with computers. The main CAD softwares I use do not have Linux versions, and they are never going to do Linux versions - I've asked them. So that leaves me using Windows for those softwares. I did try running them inside WINE on Linux, and they DID work, but were too slow under emulation to be of any practical use like that inside Linux. Others have suggested a VM, which I did NOT try - perhaps that is something I should have a play with over Christmas holidays.

Boppa

Posted: 03 December 2017 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Ive put at least a dozen computers onto ubuntu 16.04lts for various people who had no end of issues with their win 10 machines, I gave them a usb stick with it on and let them trial run it, if they liked it, did a permanent install with dual boot onto the hdd

So far it seems that I havent had a single issue with drivers for printers, scanners, cameras, phones etc- it literally is plug and play

In comparison to their win10 experiences where often older gear simply wont work at all, it becomes pretty much a slam dunk esp for people who just want to email, web browse and occasionally do some printing or something

The difference in end user satisfaction is amazing, its windows that now seems clunky and hard to use in comparison
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

JohnS
Guru
Guru

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote JohnS

MicroBlocks wrote:
I guess the one you use most will cause the least problems.
Never had unexpected downtime with windows. (I skipped ME).

I used to use Windows (from 2.0 but also avoided ME) and it was unreliable on every PC.

I used to file bug reports but never got a single bug fix.

MicroBlocks wrote:
Linux never agreed with me. From non existend drivers for my particular hardware to unsolvable crashes, etc.

Crashes!! I don't expect a Linux crash other than on power outage (don't have UPS).

My file server has been up 394 days. Main laptop 250 days (I must've taken it somewhere or fell over the cord or something).

John

MicroBlocks
Guru
Guru

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 4:38am | IP Logged Quote MicroBlocks

Well it seems you never had the joy of a solid working windows machine, as i never had the joy of a solid working Linux Desktop machine.
I rely on computers for my living. They are all running windows. My customers computers all run windows, without exception they are on windows 10. All my programs are running on windows. All my servers are running windows, now 2012 and 2016.

Some servers have uptimes over three years! No, i don't have to update them because they are isolated and firewalled very well. Some even run as a cluster. Servers are updated only after the staging servers show that there are no problems.
So i have nothing to complain. Best thing is that on server 2016 my oldest website made in 1998 still runs without modifications. So i love the backward compatibility.
Some customers still run some old VB6 programs, most the newest and latest UWP style apps.

I am aware that not everyone has a smooth experience. But i do!
Why, i have no idea (well i do of course). Maybe i research more and test more. I also wait a bit with updates to prevent running into unknown problems. Maybe that is because i am responsible for the uptime and even one single minute of downtime sets of alarm bells and results in costs. More then 5 minutes and i will start having claims! Customers like Police and Ambulances require it. The stockmarket from the Netherlands website (live stock quotes from all the worlds markets and ordering system) ran on a few (20) windows servers. Orders where dispatched to IBM mainframes under control of the AEX. I know because i was the one who build that website.
Would a similar system run well on a Linux system. I am sure it will. Does it run reliable on windows systems. It did the last 20 years, so i would say yes.

Edited by MicroBlocks on 04 December 2017 at 4:44am

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 04 December 2017 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

I was called in to fix a Windows 3.11 machine recently.
The problem turned out to be the monitor - nothing wrong with the Windows box after all.
The only problems it has had in the 20+ years I have known it have been power supplies and monitors.

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

hitsware
Guru
Guru

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote hitsware

TassyJim wrote:
I was called in to fix a Windows 3.11 machine recently.
The problem turned out to be the monitor - nothing wrong with the Windows box after all.
The only problems it has had in the 20+ years I have known it have been power supplies and monitors.

Yea........They don't make 'em like they used to.
Dos stuff is hyper-stable
Back to Top View hitsware's Profile Search for other posts by hitsware

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version