Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
twofingers
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 October 2017 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote twofingers

Grogster wrote:
The OS is supposed to work for you, not you work for the OS......

Really?

And I thought all the years: "The OS is supposed to work for the company that gave or sold it to to you."

EDIT
... and maybe this explains why you need so many update stuff ...

Or in other words:

"If it's free, you're probably the product!"
(I got the W7-W10-update for free, but I'm stiil working with W7 - auto updates disabled.)

Edited by twofingers on 15 October 2017 at 11:50am

Back to Top View twofingers's Profile Search for other posts by twofingers

Boppa

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

I went ubuntu quite a while back (altho I do have one XP laptop still for some programs that I want that simply wont run under wine (or indeed any windows later than xp!!)

The thing is that despite all the horror stories about linux and command lines and you would have to write your own code to get anything to work- it was disappointingly easy to install- I just did it and it worked
I bought a new printer, and plugged it in- and it works
I installed ubuntu on a total of 5 machines- and in every single case it just installed and worked

In comparison to the horror that was the various windows (vista,7, 2 8's and 10), none would talk to each other on the lan, the shared printer was a nightmare to get working and was broken after every update, and every update breaks something else on the non10 systems (deliberately??? to force you to 10??)

Even installed ubuntu on an elderly friends system and set it up to look like xp- she's ecstatic that I 'fixed'her old computer and magically it doesnt get infected by viruses and malware anymore (a all too common problem with her previously- she's click happy lol)
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

twofingers
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote twofingers

Maybe this is connected with Grogsters issue.
Back to Top View twofingers's Profile Search for other posts by twofingers

Herry

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Herry

twofingers wrote:
Maybe this is connected with Grogsters issue.

Articulate but totally intolerable for all the users who may not be computer savvy and who just want to *use* their computers for vital tasks. And it is not the only time. This has been going on for months on and off. Take a look at the thread on Whirlpool. And in Linux, I used Mint very happily. Only problem in my case is that I have written a number of utilities in Visual Basic 6 and that will not run on Linux. The workaround, with W7 running in a virtual machine is too messy as some of the utilities transmit files from my wp system. Haven't got the time to nut it out at the mo!

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

The only thing that keeps ME in Windows, is that my CAD software that I use almost daily is not available for Linux. I have emailed them, but they said they are never going to do Linux versions, and that is fair enough.

I had limited success installing and running those softwares under WINE in Linux a year or two ago, and although they DID work in WINE under Linux, they were so slow as to be useless. On exactly the same hardware in Windows, they ran flawlessly.

This is not a criticism of WINE or Linux. WINE has to do some pretty serious work to emulate a Windows environment to those apps, and when they are reasonably CPU intensive even under Windows, it was perhaps asking a bit much.

Something else I always planned to try, was a VM in Linux, running the CAD software. I don't know if that would help the CAD perform any better or not, but I never got around to trying that. Say XP SP3 in a VM just to run the CAD stuff.

As to Windows updates, there seems to be literally HUNDREDS of updates for Windows now, and installing the UPDATES on a clean-install can take LONGER then installing the core OS itself. The updates are just about an OS in and of themselves, so you are running an OS on top of another OS. That is getting pretty backwards, really. I don't know if even Microsoft engineers fully understand Windows as it is these days, cos it is now so huge at source-code level, and makes so many decisions for itself on what it thinks it needs etc, I think it has become something of a code blackhole, and they just ram software updates out to fix everything that goes wrong rather then have to deal with that blackhole. That perhaps explains why there are so many freakin' update packages for Windows these days.

joebog1

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote joebog1

HHMMMM Grogster!!!

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

DONT let YOUR smoke out!!!

I been using Unix almost 40 years, and have never written a line of code yet!!
I used windows 400,000 times ( thats most of the re-installs I think ) starting with DOS 2.7 which at LEAST had a terminal ( SLAP!! yes a terminal disease) Then through all the dosses !!!then from 3.1 up to 2000 ( the LAST of the true OS's from mongrel soft )

Try Linux Mint !! easy peasey.
For cad software try running LibreCAD under mint.
If you want security try Linux Debian ( You WILL need to write simple code though)
You want anonymous try Tails
you music, video, photography try Ubuntu Studio
Updates every few days with most distros, but NOT OS updates ( unless you want them )
Most will be security updates, closing the odd port here and there.

Look for LTS versions ( LTS = Long Term Support)

From BIG reel to reel tape drives and Perkin Elmer 3205's, to single seedie and a small xeon processor, I cannot recommend Linux enough.

You WILL live longer, and wont need double blood pressure medication.

Seriously, try a modern Linux distro, there are over 100 flavours to choose from.
ALL 100% free.
Around 70,000 pre compiled ( just install) applications.
VERY little chance of virii, or trojans.

I am an hardware engineer, NOT a software guru, but I look at this group every day, IF you need HELP,
simply ask!!!
If I cant help, I can 99% point you in the right direction.

My best wishes to you.

Joe

Back to Top View joebog1's Profile Search for other posts by joebog1

Herry

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote Herry

Since we are reminiscing, I don't go back to mainframes or minis but I certainly go back to the Z-80 and programming in 4K (Now *that* is a useful discipline). And DOS 4.01 (I think) which was buggy)

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 3:29am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Thanks Joe.

I like Puppy Linux at the moment, cos it runs totally in RAM, so is quick on just about any hardware with enough RAM.

I hear good things about Mint - I should try it again. Last version of that I played with was 17 from 2014, but I expect it has gone through some revisions since then. I will check out LibreCAD. I use LibreOFFICE on my Windoze machine and love it.

Alastair

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 4:15am | IP Logged Quote Alastair

You guys are just pedaling fake news which is so unfair.

The real problem, I got this from a mate in Canberra, is that too many people are using the wrong electricity to power their computers. Apparently if you use that wishy washy renewable stuff it doesn't have enough strength to push the electrons around and they get stuck when there is hard work to be done.

If you run your computer on good coal fed power then there is no problem. It is really strong and the electrons don't get stuck. As a wise man once said Smoke makes things work. There sure is plenty of smoke around a real generator.

Back to Top View Alastair's Profile Search for other posts by Alastair

GoodToGo!

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 4:15am | IP Logged Quote GoodToGo!

joebog1 wrote:
HHMMMM Grogster!!!

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

DONT let YOUR smoke out!!!

Too late! There is so much smoke pouring out of his ears that from over here it looks like a raging bushfire is happening across the pond!

GTG!

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Well, let's just say it is probably a good thing that I got a #4 crewcut last week.

joebog1

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote joebog1

HEY
GoodToGo! Bro!!!
he IS a bloody ANZAC
he has a little leeway !!

Joe
Back to Top View joebog1's Profile Search for other posts by joebog1

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic