<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grogster
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 October 2017 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Well, Bill expects that everyone using Windows will be living in a house, in a city, with at least standard UNLIMITED ADSL, right? (rhetorical)

...so downloading a whole plethora of updates won't worry anyone.

I wouldn't mind, but the choice to download the updates should be THE USER'S not at the discretion of the operating system.

I just had another run-in with a W10 machine this afternoon. Brand new, clients complaining about lack of speed, and constantly dropping the WiFi connection. NOTHING gets it back again when that happens, and they have to reboot the laptop. THEN the WiFi comes back fine - until next time. This is also a problem for others. Google 'Windows 10 dropping WiFi'......

Brand new Laptop with W10 Home 64-bit. Apparently the default setting for W10 on laptops and tablets, is to power-down the bloody WiFi to save power, but this then drops the connection to the net. For whatever reason, IF W10 is even re-enabling the WiFi when you try to use it, it fails to connect, and you have to reboot to get the connection back - pain in the arse.

Other problems with this laptop were that Skype and Email was not working(I could understand that, if W10 is turning off the WiFi).

Hunting around on the net, I found how to change this by disabling 'Let Windows turn off this device to save power' or some such similar setting. Yet ANOTHER hoop you have to jump through with a clean-install of W10! This setting should be OFF by default, and people who want to save power can enable it themselves!

Sorry....bit of a rant again. I just can't help it.

Back to Top View Grogster's Profile Search for other posts by Grogster Visit Grogster's Homepage

Boppa

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

LOL- hey we feel your pain
ranting and win10 seem to go together
(I suspect my neighbours must think I'm insane at times when I let loose with a good shouted rant at another win10 machine thats playing up, but it makes me feel better and thats all that counts)

eta
Its not just laptops with this issue, some (but not all- no pattern I've spotted so far) towers when going into sleep mode, do the same with wifi connections- strangely it doesnt seem to be an issue with wired connections, just wifi
More strangely- two identical towers, both bought same time, identical hardware, identical install, both in the same house, one does it, one doesnt- explain that as being anything but a wtf moment- how do you even start with an issue like that?

Edited by Boppa on 17 October 2017 at 8:14am
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

joebog1

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote joebog1

But Grogster!!!!

You told me you didnt want to piss around doing software and writing code

Joe ducks
Back to Top View joebog1's Profile Search for other posts by joebog1

Herry

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote Herry

Take no notice Grogster. I'm with you all the way about W10! They'll have to do an awful lot to ever win my trust again.

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

joebog1 wrote:
But Grogster!!!!

You told me you didnt want to piss around doing software and writing code

Joe ducks

I don't. What's your point?

Edited by Grogster on 17 October 2017 at 11:04pm

KeepIS

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote KeepIS

Latest version of Win 10 allows you to defer all updates for many months before reverting to deferring to the next day before asking you again.

I know users have a lot of problems with window 10 installs and updates, however the only time I have ever has a problem was with laptop hardware and drivers, never has a problem on my 3 x 7 year old micro towers. I program under them and go back to CPM, Turbo Dos and all versions of windows. I have found Win 10 to be the most stable of any version of windows including Win 8 64 bit.

I boot straight to the Desktop and this system gets every type of strange USB hardware and flaky driver thrown at it. It can't just be luck as I use multiple PC's and tablets.

I have a tiny palm sized micro PC in my vehicle running Windows 10, it has 13 USB devices and 4 vehicle interface micros that I programmed in assembler for integrating everything into the vehicle hardware, iDrive hardware, Mobile phone module, two GPS receivers, 8" HDMI touch screen and runs and looks like an integrated head unit with no hint of windows, just a full GUI front end. It has run faultlessly for over 3 years with auto hibernate and 10 second resume at vehicle power on / off. It gets a restart every 4 months (automatic programmed) and has never faulted except for one failed GPS module, even has a micromite handling transmission dual pressure and temperature conversion interface and logging.

Windows 8 was a DOG with USB devices in that system, so my experience has been different.

I absolutely agree with the annoyance of having to set MS spy crap off after a major upgrade / update, but it only takes me a few minutes. I also have a simple app to turn off all unneeded writes to the SSD's and I have a check list of power setting that need to be modified for the way I use the system. We can argue that you should not have to do so, but I can live with it.

NOTE: I'm not making light of the genuine problems encountered by so many people with Windows 10, I also feel for the standard home user when things go wrong, actually with anything these days, but then again they have been behind the eight ball for a long long time now.

joebog1

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 4:20am | IP Logged Quote joebog1

To Grogster,

You just finished telling us you spent hours "perusing" windowz setup files and probably hacking the registry to even make wireless work!!!
BTW wireless has ZERO security !!

KeepIS,
is most likely a games player!! AFTER all is said and done, windowz is a games platform!! it was NEVER intended for anything computer related, apart from how many drongoes you could kill!!

Gill Bates is worth trillions, and you STILL support him!!
YOU get what you pay for !!!!

I wish I had some money

WITH respect,

Joe

Boppa

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 4:48am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Wireless has adequate security for most purposes, and has little to do with the O/S anyway
I currently have 2 wired computers, 1 because its less that a foot from the router (win7), and the other is the media server to the lounge tv set which suffered 'stuttering' when playing movies on wireless(android)- apart from that I have 1 ubuntu wireless, 1 xp wireless, 3 android wireless, 1 ipad wireless and 2 linuxcnc wireless
I challenge you to break into my wireless system, because unless you physically break in and set your mac address as an allowed device, you aint never leeching off my wireless!

;-)
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

joebog1

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote joebog1

To Boppa
To break in try TOR

AT least you have LinuxCNC
TOTALLY free, NOT easy but capable of superb results.

I DID NOT start the twist to Linux for any reasoan OTHER than:
QUESTION :

the two LinixCNC!!
did they integrate and load SEAMLESSLY ?
and DONT winge you dont know Gcode!!!

I BET my left nut, that the ONLY setup you DID NOT NEED to fiddle with was the LinuxCNC installs

Yes, mods!!
you can boot me, OR chastise me!!!

To Boppa !!!!
WHY the hell would I bother leetching off bloody NBN ( AKA No Bloody Network) ???
I will withdraw from this conversation in view of EXPERT opinion!!

( Expert, somebody that knows EVERYTHING about nothing,
Engineer, somebody that knows NOTHING about everything )

Mods can boot me if desired, BUT keep in mind the above is exaclty what happens to ALL good forum'

PHEW !!!!

with my best regards

Joe

Herry

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote Herry

Most of us come here for technical info. While a little light humour now and then is good, I don't think these latest posts are helpful. Purely a personal opinion.

Edited by Herry on 18 October 2017 at 5:49am

KeepIS

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote KeepIS

To joebog1:

KeepIS,
is most likely a games player!! AFTER all is said and done, windowz is a games platform!! it was NEVER intended for anything computer related, apart from how many drongoes you could kill!!

Wrong again, did you actually read the post? Never play games. When you have 20 years of micro interface programs written under Windows, you don't just jump ship because someone doesn't like the OS that you are using, which BTW does not and has not cost me a thing. I don't have a problem with it, it's simply a means to an end and an effective means for me.

All the one line put downs and silly quotes won't influence most of us, and I am certainly not trying to change yours or other minds and not putting down other OS options.

It works for me - and that's it - don't try and guess what I do or what I know from one short general post on a sub forum.

TassyJim
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 18 October 2017 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote TassyJim

Grogster,
Try Linux Mint. It looks and feels a lot like Windows which will make using it less of a re-learning exercise.

Boppa,
Before you claim that WiFi is secure 'enough', read up about the recently announced 'Krack security breach'. If it ever gets loose in the wild, there will be a lot of fixed wiring going in.

Jim

Back to Top View TassyJim's Profile Search for other posts by TassyJim Visit TassyJim's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version