<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Herry

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 October 2017 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote Herry

TassyJim wrote:
Grogster,
Try Linux Mint. It looks and feels a lot like Windows which will make using it less of a re-learning exercise.

Jim

I agree. I found Mint superb except it won't run my VisualBasic6 stuff

Back to Top View Herry's Profile Search for other posts by Herry

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I think we've touched a nerve with Joe there.

@ Joe - OK, yep, you are right - I spend hours fighting W10 settings. But please be aware that these were other people's machines NOT mine. I don't use W10, and never plan to because of all these hoops I would have to jump through. The point being that if you are in the business of helping people with computer problems, you are REQUIRED to try to fix the problems they are having, and that in and of itself involves you having to waste a great deal of time on a system you personally would never touch. That has absolutely ZERO to do with my supporting MS or otherwise helping them by working on W10, as they are not my machines.

Thanks for commenting anyway - all opinions are useful to have, but I would suggest at this point that perhaps you try to adopt a slightly more light-hearted approach. Your comments about being booted from the forums suggests that this has happened to you on other forums, and generally speaking, there is just-cause for such banishment. Just saying....

Boppa

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

TassyJim wrote:
Grogster,
Try Linux Mint. It looks and feels a lot like Windows which will make using it less of a re-learning exercise.

Boppa,
Before you claim that WiFi is secure 'enough', read up about the recently announced 'Krack security breach'. If it ever gets loose in the wild, there will be a lot of fixed wiring going in.

Jim

Hmm seems it only affects WPA2 (actually I'm surprised its gone this long without any major issues) and only affects http calls, which is getting rarer these days, most websites are on https or switching to it

plus it requires wardriving, which is a remote possibility here (and when I move to my new house- that possibility will be so close to zero as to not matter- others may be in a different position of course

I'm assuming that a patch will be released eventually, problem is rolling it out- how many people ever actually update the firmware of their router- I know I've never done it (even though its as simple as going into the routers homepage and clicking a button on mine)

Maybe just go back to WAP for a while lol

I could upgrade some to wired links, but quite frankly its a PITA, esp as its not my house to do so- so drilling holes in walls etc is definitely a nono and some things like the phones/pads etc cant be (and sort of defeats the idea in the first place), and going to their 4g isnt really an option either unless helstra does a major backflip and allows unlimited data on 4g, my plan is currently $10 a gig, hence the use of the wireless link to the houses broadband whenever possible
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I have downloaded the latest version of Linux Mint and will try to install this on a spare machine at the weekend.

Most people seem to say good things about Mint. Is there some specific reason or set of reasons as to why Mint is different from the plethora of other Linux distros?

Gizmo
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Gizmo

You can always rely on a Linux V Windows discussion to get a few members hot under the collar. Keep it civil and remember, the other person could be right or wrong, but their views are still valid.

Glenn

The Back Shed
JAQ Software
Back to Top View Gizmo's Profile Search for other posts by Gizmo Visit Gizmo's Homepage

Herry

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Herry

Grogster wrote:
I have downloaded the latest version of Linux Mint and will try to install this on a spare machine at the weekend.

Most people seem to say good things about Mint. Is there some specific reason or set of reasons as to why Mint is different from the plethora of other Linux distros?

I feel it is the most Windows-like distro, so the easiest to transfer to.

matherp
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote matherp

Just for balance:

I do all my development on W10. MMX, Pi-cromite, CFunctions, PCB design etc. The install is absolutely standard, I don't have to play with the registry. Automatic updates are enabled. It has never crashed and is running on a 2011 Dell workstation.
It is also used for Salae logic analyser, Picoscope, and 3D printer - all without any issues.

Perhaps its affecting my productivity though

Edited by matherp on 18 October 2017 at 9:35am
Back to Top View matherp's Profile Search for other posts by matherp

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

Boppa wrote:

plus it requires wardriving,

Exactly! do not panic. This is not something someone sat in their basement can exploit from the other side of the world, they have to be virtually right next to you. I know it is security through obscurity, but it isn't a bad thing in this instance - just scan your local area and see what access points are available (you guys in the bundo need not apply ) couple that with the warring and there is plenty of time to get patched. Really. Most people aren't even on the spectrum.

MS patched in October, (but even you guys still on <Win7 really don't need to worry too much - see above) and Apple will have patches out very soon... but with delicious irony, it seems that due to them churning out their own "versions" (i.e. not paying IEEE $$$$) both MS and Apple are probably un-affected by this particular flaw anyway.

The ones who need to patch soon are anyone running Linux with wpa_supplicant 2.4 or earlier and Android 6 or earlier. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I'm immune to everything, I've got Linux".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/17/kracken_patches/
Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

Boppa

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Funnily enough a friend of mine was right into the then unknown black flying triangles (turned out he was right- the stealth fighter) and echelon phone taps (turns out he was right about that too) but one of the things he got me into was video signal taps- surprisingly easy to do back in the 80s with composite video signals- we could pick them up over 50m away, even vga could be picked up from well outside a house, anyone with a tower even these days would still be easily watched practically everything they did with less than a couple of hundred bucks of gear, it comes down to how likely you are to be targeted,and is it worth their while?

Really imho for 99.999999% of people, worrying about a hack that requires multiple holes to line up including wardriving??

nah, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it

Boppa

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

Capt,
from the guys who discovered it

" Note that if your device supports Wi-Fi, it is most likely affected. During our initial research, we discovered ourselves that Android, Linux, Apple, Windows, OpenBSD, MediaTek, Linksys, and others, are all affected by some variant of the attacks. For more information about specific products, consult the database of CERT/CC, or contact your vendor."

https://www.krackattacks.com/

and further, it seems everyone could be affected by it including Apple and Windows both who have a bad history of not supporting their older products

Currently (unless they decide to do a special release like Microsoft did with the XP patch recently released), the cutoffs appear to be Win7 onwards for M.S. and OS X 10.11 El Capitan onwards for Apple, Kitkat for android (although that depends primarily on the units manufacturer and carrier- some brand new nexus models arent supported at all brand new from the box, and anything with a TI chipset is sweet out of luck as well)
Ubuntu is already looking to release a patch by friday, it will cover any bsd kernal so get it and Linux is pretty much covered

Linux users tend to be more towards the techsavy side and as such are less likely to be guilty of the 'it cant happen to me' mindset, apple users are the ones more likely to be guilty of ' its an apple, they dont get viruses' groupthink (thats just imho of course)

Herry

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote Herry

Is a new thread appropriate for this hack as is affects many other o/s and not just W10? Mods? Others?

Paul_L

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote Paul_L

@Grogs -- So you think you've got problems! Ha! Take a look at a thread I started back in June.

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9656&KW=Paul_L

And here's a text file detailing the hassle which has still not settled down.

2017-10-19_020320_windows_fun.zip

I will be surprised if you have the patience to read the entire thing.

Paul in NY
Back to Top View Paul_L's Profile Search for other posts by Paul_L

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version